spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Laser0

join:2003-10-19

Emails not getting through to my email account

Does Verizon have a blacklist that prevents emails from getting through to my account from specific servers?
In the middle of last week, my company's mail server who is hosted on gold.webfusion.co.uk lost the ability to send emails to my Verizon account.

I do not have a spam filter on and can send emails to my account from multiple other mail services. My company's hosting service claims the problem is on Verizon's end. Here is part of the error messge (with my email address x's out. If anyone has any advice I would be most appreciative.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxxxxxx@verizon.net
retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path:
Received: from pool-141-154-77-120.bos.east.verizon.net ([141.154.77.120] helo=gateway)
by gold.webfusion.co.uk with asmtp (Exim 3.36 #1)
id 1CeHPX-0002XJ-00
for xxxxxx@verizon.net; Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:28:35 +0000This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxxxxxx@verizon.net

PepperPot

@70.21.x.x
Thanks much for your post. My Verizon spam filter is turned on. Last Thursday I noticed a lack of email coming in for several hours. Long story, short, suddenly a friend in Scotland with an @blueyonder.co.uk address could not send to my Verizon address. She got a Delay warning, then nothing happened. We've been exchanging emails for a long time to my verizon.net, then all of a sudden Poof! No can do. It was driving me crazy until I saw your post. I thought the problem was on her side. I even called the Vz DSL techs who said, "Oh, no. Verizon doesn't blacklist". Something happened Thursday and it wasn't for the good.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to Laser0
said by Laser0:

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path:
Is that really your Return-path line? Or did you edit it?
--
"I truly am not that concerned about him."
Pres. Bush on Osama bin Laden, March 13, 2002

Laser0

The only edit to the return path was to replace the beginning of my email address with xxxxx@ instead of my real email address. The rest remains what I received in the bounce back

Bobcat79
Premium

1 edit
But the Return-path shown is blank. Looks to me that gold.webfusion.co.uk is sending bad email.

techie68

join:2004-11-17
Columbus, OH
reply to Laser0
I actually just talked to someone with this same issue today (yes, I'm one of those damn Verizon techs). There actually is a spam filter on your email that is controlled from the server end. I turned it off for her, but am not sure that this fixed the issue. I'm actually kind of glad I found this post, because the customer I spoke with today couldn't receive email from any email address that was from the UK. These email addresses were all .co.uk. In addition to that, these weren't business related email addresses. My department doesn't really handle this, but I'll look into it tomorrow, and post what I find out then.

Laser0

Techie: Thank you for the reply. I hope you can help. I just couldn't bring myself to call the Verizon support line with this one. I hope you can help.

Laser0

3 edits
reply to Bobcat79
Bobcat: My apologies. I must have deleted the return path. It was (name XX'd out)

**Edit** Whenever I type in the return path email and submit the post, the email address gets deleted before it is posted, odd. The return path was my emaill address at my comapny so it was valid

Return-path: **deleted by the posting engine**
Received: from pool-141-154-77-120.bos.east.verizon.net ([141.154.77.120] helo=gateway)
by gold.webfusion.co.uk with asmtp (Exim 3.36 #1)
id 1CeHRT-0002p7-00
for xxxxxx@verizon.net; Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:30:35 +0000

Thank you for pointing that out.

techie68

Columbus, OH
reply to Laser0
I don't blame you for not wanting to call tech support on this one. I hate to say this, but with the exception of a few brilliant people that I work with, most of the "techs" (and I use that term loosely) are script-reading idiots. I'll see what I can find out.

Boyko
Premium
join:2004-05-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Laser0
You may want to try emailing security@verizon.net.
Not that it would really help, but if you and a number of other people email them about emails not getting through from a specific domain, they may do something about it ...you never know.

gracie7
Geek Goddess
Premium
join:2003-07-15
confusion
reply to techie68
said by techie68:

the customer I spoke with today couldn't receive email from any email address that was from the UK. These email addresses were all .co.uk.
well, if it helps shed some light, i get emails all the time from the UK (england and 'the other' ireland ) but only one is a .co.uk addy, and it's been a while since i received anything from that addy, so i can't test it out. however i would doubt that anything's blocking all .co.uk addys; more likely just specific isps, yes?
--
graciella! "not tonight dear, I have DSL."
Creating SuperOrganizations Worldwide
Creating & Hosting SuperSites Worldwide

techie68

Columbus, OH
reply to Laser0
Well, as far I could ascertain form work today, there isn't a problem with co.uk email address. It's probably just a domain that has been blocked, but this hasn't been done by any department in particular. I checked around, and it appears that you, and the one other person I spoke to the other day are having this problem.

Emailing security@verizon.net with your issue would probably be the best course of action at this point, but don't expect to hear anything back from them. They don't even like to talk to those of us in tech support.

Good luck.

dustycritter

Pittston, PA
reply to gracie7
This seems to be a little more wide spread .A friend from italy is not able to send emails to my verizon acct.there isp is tiscalinet.it.
--
chuck

Laser0

reply to techie68
Thanks for taking a look Techie. I appreciate your follow up. I will email security@ and hope. Its a shame that these things happen and there is nothing a customer can do. I moved from Charter to Verizon because AOL had blocked emails from Charter and I could not send emails to friends who had AOL accounts. Since this is integral to my business, I will have to look at switching broadband providers again.

The blocked site is a rather large UK hosting service and not just a single site.

Thanks again.

bob4321

@east.verizon.ne
reply to techie68
I seem to be having the same problem, but with servers in Japan. I have confirmed that a relative with the ybb.ne.jp domain hasn't been able to send me emails after the last one on Oct. 25, 2004. I have also not gotten responses from people that have otherwise been very reliable in responding.

The error message is:
------------------------
Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
------------------------

There are quite a few frustated Japanese Verizon DSL users with similar situations, when I checked the internet. I explained my issue to tech support, but I just got the following:
"Oh yes, I can confirm that your spam blocker is turned off and you have no domains in your blocked sender area. Let me get my supervisor"..."She says that there is nothing wrong with our servers, it must be your friend's provider".

I just sent an email explaining the situation to security@verizon.net as per your advice to one of the other posts

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to Laser0
Great...

Last year (or was it the year before), we saw VOL go live with their silly sender verification system. Anyone familiar with this knows just what kind of success it's been.

Now we have something new to troubleshoot?

Verizon is crazy. One of the main reasons people tell me they won't leave AOL is because they'd lose their @aol.com addresses! Why on earth would Verizon want to encourage people to go with 3rd party email services? (via hosting packages, Gmail, etc) I mean, that's one less obstacle for people who are ready to tell Verizon to shove it...

I wonder just how many Trinity Southern University alumni are making the decisions over at Verizon.

maxanon

join:2004-12-16
Montreal, QC
reply to Laser0
We're getting the same issue in that e-mails from european servers are not coming through (UK, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, etc). I spoke with a tech rep and he asked for some e-mails which leads me to believe that they are blocking euro servers (probably anti-spam).

It doesn't make sense to me that they would emplay this kind of spam filter. At least let us decide if we want to sift through it. It's at a point that I may just switch providers as the vast majority of my mails come from europe.

kubus

join:2000-12-22
Irwin, PA
reply to Laser0
No wonder I didn't get any e-mails from my friends in Poland on my new verizon.net address.

techie68

Columbus, OH
I finally got an answer to this question, which actually kind of surprised me. Now, to let you all know, I work for Verizon dsl tech support (yeah, I know... we're all a bunch of idiots), and we were never informed about this change. Apparently, Verizon is blocking email coming from open relay mail servers. Essentially, this means that all email coming from servers that don't have an authentication process are being blocked. Open relay mail servers are typically hotbeds for spammers, as no authentication is necessary. Unfortunately, many email servers in Europe (and the rest of the world for that matter) are open relay. This is yet another brilliant idea that some idiot who doesn't know jack about computers making decisions for the company. I expect this to blow up in their faces sooner rather than later.

Good luck to all of you. I would definitely email security@verizon.net and complain heartily about this.

Laser0

Thanks for the follow up Teche. Obviously not all Verizon tech support people are the way you portray them to be. I do have to say that whenever I do call in, the guys are extremely polite and do try to help.

The problem here is that my company's mail server is on a hosting service. It does require authentication to send/receive emails, but I guess that there may be other mail servers that they host that do not. This just doesn't make sense.

Isn't that what a spam filter is for? To let me decide what I want to receive?

paulramone

@verizon.net
reply to Laser0
I am also not receiving email from a number of clients in Germany, the UK and Australia.

Are there plans to resolve this?

gracie7
Geek Goddess
Premium
confusion

Re: this is ridiculous already!

said by paulramone:

I am also not receiving email from a number of clients in Germany, the UK and Australia.
just got this from an acquaintance in the UK who tried to send me mail to my verizon.net addy; he is sending from his own domain name email and is NOT a spammer:

"Just received the following:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.
Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.
*********** @verizon.net

Seems like Verizon is holding e-mail back for some reason."

as i mentioned at the beginning of the thread, i am very much in favor of settign up filters to catch known spammers or violators of open relay capabilities, but to disable our ability to get email from the global community is not so wise.
--

I_P

join:2004-12-17
reply to Laser0

Re: Emails not getting through to my email account

I'm having the exact same problem with emails coming from two different domains the UK. Not good. Any suggestions from our friendly Verizon tech?

techie68

Columbus, OH
Like I said in my previous post... VOL went through with this decision without letting any of us in the tech department know about it. In other words... they're keeping us completely in the dark about this matter. I found out through a third party in Verizon about this whole idea, and even he wasn't informed directly.

As far as plans to rectify this situation, I haven't heard about any. The only time they really like to fix anything is when a whole lot of people complain. That would be your best bet at this point. The powers that be tend not to listen to lowly tech support people who actually have a clue as to what they're doing. Like I said before... I think this will blow up in their faces sooner, rather than later. Good luck.

martinccc

@demon.co.uk
reply to Laser0
I have the same issue with a friends PC in NY. Verizon is bouncing e-mails from my UK ISP and also from my friends US based company. I sent a test from hotmail which has not bounced back, very strange.

gracie7
Geek Goddess
Premium
confusion
reply to Laser0

Re: WORSE and worse!

this is getting ridiculous and making it almost impossible for us to continue using verizon mail. in an earlier post, i said that we have still been getting emails from a UK correspondent regularly. well, today i got this from them:

"I've been having trouble emailing you for some time; mainly due to the following error:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
xxxxxx@verizon.net
It's been going on a good couple of weeks, and I have to remember to try re-sending the mail the next day.. when I don't get one of these back I assume the mail has delivered..."

this is a critical contact with whom i must have frequent correspondence; interestingly, he resent a message using a US server and it got to me fine. and it doesn't seem to consistently block his UK server, either, as some of his mails do come through.
--

gracie7
Geek Goddess
Premium
confusion
a little more information from our UK contact, who can get through to us when emailing through their US server, but not through their UK server:

"The only difference between the mail server i'm using to talk to you now and the normal mail server we use is the location - the software and setup is identical.
Our UK mail server (in-house) is on our UK Ip address range, the US server is on the US range.."
--

rocky01
Premium
join:2002-04-24
NE
bizarre, i hope this is fixed quickly since everyone lives in a world community to some degree.

this may be OT but how can i get outlook express or outlook to upload my messages? -- these are older messages i imported from my hard drive that were put there for safekeeping when i was with another isp.

gracie7
Geek Goddess
Premium
confusion
and this just in from another UK correspondent:

"I've just had three more e-mails bounced back from Verizon, that is every one I sent, so it looks like I cannot contact any verizon account by e-mail, time they really knew how people felt about this. The only way that is going to happen is by verizon customers reading the riot act."
--

catseyenu
Ack Pfft
Premium
join:2001-11-17
Fix East

1 edit
Great, now they are bouncing my mail to Verizon from my Cox account.
»Verizon Bouncing Cox Email?