spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scuuder3

join:2003-03-04
Palm Coast, FL

Best VOIP service to use alarm system with?

I just signed up with Packet8 and the sound quality is good. Also, got my fax machine to work. My alarm uses ContactID and it will not work. I have the alarm company coming out on Friday to switch it to 4x2. If that doesn't work, what is the best VOIP service to work with alarms. Both broadvoice and Vonage claim they work with alarms. Is Vonage the best for this?

Thanks

TuscanRaider

join:1999-08-14
Fountain, CO

My Vonage works fine with ADT. The setup must be ATA -> alarm system -> telephones; otherwise, the alarm system can't "seize" the line in the event of an emergency.

lestat99

join:2000-08-04
Piscataway, NJ
reply to scuuder3

You can check out these guys who support alarm monitoring over IP connections using a separate ATA. So you could use any VoIP provider with one ATA and the second ATA would handle your alarm.

»www.nextalarm.com
--
Info Network Security:»www.packetdefense.com

scuuder3

Palm Coast, FL
reply to scuuder3

the nextalarm company looks great, but I am in a contract for two more years. If the 4x2 switch doesn't work than I will try Vonage. I had the alarm direct to the ata with no other phones and it still would not work.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to lestat99

said by lestat99:

You can check out these guys who support alarm monitoring over IP connections using a separate ATA. So you could use any VoIP provider with one ATA and the second ATA would handle your alarm.

»www.nextalarm.com
Rewording the title to "Best alarm system to use VOIP service with?" seems the forward thinking answer.

I don't have an alarm system, and I'm not sure how easy it is to get out of those contracts . . . I wonder how many are like NextAlarm?
--
Jim -- USA2K
SEE: |DCWU |FAH |PICS |BVX REVIEW |
FWD, Vonage 01/03 to 12/04, & BVX 07/04 to now

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH
reply to scuuder3

4+2 using the slower format is the most reliable. SIA format may also work.
Your alarm panel has to be able to call using at least 2 different formats as required by UL.
It is recommended that 4+2 20pps is used on the first attempt, then 4+2 10pps to be used on the second attempt if the first attempt is not successful. That way limiting the amount of time that your phone service is disconnected during an emergency.

scuuder3

Palm Coast, FL
reply to scuuder3

According to the literature on my alarm, the linear dvs-2400, it can use contactID or 4x2. I do not see anthing related to setting the 20pps or 10pps? should this be an option? I have the alarm huy coming tomorrow and would like to have my ducks in a row. thanks

nert

join:2004-08-26
Bellevue, WA
reply to scuuder3

AT&T supports fax and modem for everything now.

»www.callvantage.att.com/signup/O···ac=64525

scuuder3

Palm Coast, FL
reply to scuuder3

with the CV would I have to turn the fax and modem support on every time I set the alarm, or could I leave it on and still recieve voice calls?

vonsen

@telus.net
reply to scuuder3

typical reporting options
Never heard of the 'linear' brand. In glancing at your manual, your alarm does not appear to support reducing the data transmit to 10pps, SIA or a lot of other things. It looks like your choices are restricted to 4/2 PTP or contact id. I would suggesting trying 4/2 and a conservative modem init. string for best results.

vonsen

@telus.net
reply to scuuder3

Note that the screenshot above is not for your panel. Your manual can be found here.

ebubman

join:2002-01-17
Mechanicsburg, PA
reply to scuuder3

Best ALARM system w/ VOIP??

i've been considering getting an alarm system but we've been without traditional landline service for 18 mos now; have not missed it a bit. may i impose on members to recommend alarm companies whose service works well with voip service? aside from the alarm, we will not need voip for another thing at this time. our gsm shared cell plan very capably handles all of our voice communications needs. if i were to go voip, i'd like to consider either broadvoice or vonage. thanks in advance for recommending any alarm systems that might work w/ either of these services. bub

vonsen

@telus.net

My dsc alarms works fine with broadvox (g711). They work with lingo too, although the panel sometimes has to make several dialing attempts, probably due to the g729 lingo codec. Best results were with SIA. 4/2 was almost as good, contact id did not work well on a voip line.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to nert

Re: Best VOIP service to use alarm system with?

said by nert:

I hardly believe that means any better support than Vonage and others. It really does not explain, but I suspect they are using g.711 codec.
--
Jim -- USA2K

schweb
Premium
join:2003-06-27
Lakewood, OH

said by usa2k:

said by nert:

I hardly believe that means any better support than Vonage and others. It really does not explain, but I suspect they are using g.711 codec.
There is definitely something different. I was never able to use my dial-up modem for work over Vonage, my friend's P8 line, or CV before this changed. After turning on Fax and Modem support I can connect just fine at around 41.2kbps. When it's turned on, it requires an extra 153kbps on the upstream so it's more than just the normal codec.

Downside is that if you' don't have a higher upstream (say more than 256) your voice quality will suffer if you leave it on all the time.

That being said, you could also try the alarm w/o it on and see if it still works as it has for some others. Interesting thing to note though is that on the CV FAQs it still says home alarm systems are not supported. My guess is they don't want to be on the hook for something that important if for some reason it doesn't work. But I don't see why it wouldn't.
--
bryan | website

"Freedom is the recognition that no single authority or government has a monopoly on truth."
-Ronald Reagan (February 6, 1911 - June 5, 2004)

vonsen

@telus.net

said by schweb
There is definitely something different

Yes, the difference is the g.711 codec as usa2k stated in the post you were replying to.

schweb
Premium
join:2003-06-27
Lakewood, OH

said by vonsen:

said by schweb

Yes, the difference is the g.711 codec as usa2k stated in the post you were replying to.
Nope, they've always used g.711 so it's something different from that even...
--
bryan | website

"Freedom is the recognition that no single authority or government has a monopoly on truth."
-Ronald Reagan (February 6, 1911 - June 5, 2004)

scuuder3

Palm Coast, FL
reply to scuuder3

well the alarm guy came out today and it would not work right even on 4x2. he said the monitoring station recieved a signal but it was not clear to their computer system.

I might try ATT CV instead. would contactID work on the att plan with the modem support?

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to schweb

said by schweb:

said by vonsen:

said by schweb

Nope, they've always used g.711 so it's something different from that even...
The Cisco ATA 186 eventually was set to recognize FAX tones for example. It would then turn off silence suppression (and maybe "comfort noise") and who knows, . . .

Prior to that, #86 dial prefix or something (not sure now) was a way to force the FAX mode.

Maybe the software was buggy before? Thus an improvement. The better the ISP, and maybe the time travelling the web likely plays into it too.

I would think if the did something conventional like support t.38 for FAX, they would brag about it like BroadvoxDirect does.
--
Jim -- USA2K

vonsen

@telus.net
reply to scuuder3

Leave it on 4/2, this should be more reliable than contact id on a voip line.. Did the service guy setup your alarm modem initialization string? How stable is your isp? You will need a low packet loss, low latency link for any data call. Lastly, find a voip provider that has g711 for best call quality. There are lots of voip companies that offer limited usage plans under $10/month. Or keep your existing voip and sign up to nextalarm for an extra $9/mo, as suggested earlier in this thread. Good luck.

scuuder3

Palm Coast, FL
reply to scuuder3

the alarm tech did not do anything with the modem init string. he wasn't familiar with voip so he didn't really know what i was trying to do. nextalrm.com does not monitor florida yet. i thought that packet8 was already using g.711 already, is it not?

vonsen

@telus.net
reply to scuuder3

Hmmm.. it shouldn't really matter if the service guy knew much about voip or not. His job was to tweak your alarm so that it could communicate reliably with the monitoring co. Those settings should be much the same for pots or voip. So the question is does he know his job or is your voip line unstable? Packet8 should have g711. Doesn't seem to be any way to adjust your alarm's modem settings (other than communicator format). Try testing your isp on this website to see if they are having any transient problems with packet loss or other line quality problems. If you have access to a pots line, try it temporarily, just to rule out the panel as the problem.

scuuder3

Palm Coast, FL
reply to scuuder3

Looks like I have a good internet connection:
»/quality/nil/1598723

the alarm works great on the pots line. sure wish i could get it to work on the packet8. my fax works every time on packet8

vonsen

@telus.net
reply to scuuder3

Are you sure that you have your packet8 line currently set to use the g711 codec? Most providers will set your line to g729 by default and you have to choose g711 in the portal.

scuuder3

Palm Coast, FL
reply to scuuder3

as far as i know, with Packet8 there is no way to set the codec. it appears they are shooting for a plug and play type application. i see no settings available on the website.

vonsen

@telus.net
reply to scuuder3

If your line isn't set to g711 that is the reason that your alarm data call is failing. You might want to give p8 support a call or put in a ticket to find out if you can get it set to g711. It's possible that they only use g711 when a fax tone is detected, which won't help your alarm issue.

scuuder3

Palm Coast, FL
reply to scuuder3

does vonage let you select the g.711? i have cancelled the P8 and will try another service.

The Chef

join:2003-12-09
reply to nert

said by nert:

However, that is not the same as alarm support and alarms is not in their list of what this feature is compatable with.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to scuuder3

said by scuuder3:

does vonage let you select the g.711? i have cancelled the P8 and will try another service.
Yes, that's the default codec. You have to specifically select a higher compression codec from the web port if you want to.

BTW, we just tried a dialup modem here with Vonage and it actually connected to the other end. We didn't get to play with it because the other end didn't let us (my son is setting up a server and he said there was a firewall running on the host that was keeping him out), but it DID connect and communicate.

vonsen

@telus.net
reply to scuuder3

Broadvox lets you select g711. Their plans run from $9 to $20/mo. The $20 plan includes unlimited use and no long distance charges in US or Canada. And for me at least, works fine with my alarm.