Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pin215

join:2001-02-28
Little Rock, AR

1 edit

SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE error

I upgraded my computer to SP 2 in windows XP professional. I am using tiny personal firewall. Now I get this message periodically and i don't know how to fix it. The message is SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE. I am sure there is an easy fix. If anyone knows what to do please let me know. This happened only when I upgraded. Many thanks in advance.

docutech
Dream With Color

join:2000-12-22
Saint Louis, MO

Re: +

Uninstall SP2.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to pin215

Re: SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE error

Where do you 'get this message' from? Messages are displayed by programs - which program? Is this error on-screen or in the event log?

A SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE is an inquiry sent from the service controller to a service. My guess would be that if it's the service controller logging an event about that, then you have a defective service that is not responding to 'interrogate'. And if it's a service complaining, then you have a defecting service that does not know how to respond to 'interrogate'.

So your first step is to determine which service. Either way, knowing where the error message comes from would help.

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to pin215

Also, Tiny Personal Firewall may not be totally compatible with XP SP2, especially the "Security Center".

Try disabling the "Security Center":

Start > Run > services.msc > then scroll down to the "Security Center" service, and set the "Security Center" service to "Disabled" and then "Stop" the
"Security Center" service -or- reboot the computer.

pin215

Little Rock, AR

1 recommendation

reply to docutech

Re: +

I don't think so.

pin215

Little Rock, AR
reply to auggy

Re: SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE error

thank you very much. I will try this.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to pin215

I found this from Microsoft.com by doing a search of the error message: »support.microsoft.com/default.as···3B320789

PRB: Service Control Manager Reports Event ID 7016
Article ID : 320789
Last Review : December 18, 2003
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q320789

SYMPTOMS
If a service is not written correctly, the Service Control Manager (SCM) may log the following error in the system event log when you use the net start command to start the service:
Event ID: 7016
Source: Service Control Manager
Type: Error
Category: None
Description: The ServiceName service has reported an invalid current state 0.
However, this error message may not be generated if the Services tool in Control Panel (on a Windows NT 4.0-based system) or the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Services snap-in (on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP-based system) is used to start the service.

CAUSE
After you use the net start command to start the service, Net.exe interrogates the service by calling the ControlService function with a SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE control code until the service reports a status of SERVICE_RUNNING or SERVICE_STOPPED. If the service control handler of the corresponding service calls SetServiceStatus with an invalid value for dwCurrentState, the SCM reports the aforementioned error in the system event log.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, the service must be fixed (rewritten correctly) so that it reports a valid status when it receives a SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE (or any other) control code from the SCM.

MORE INFORMATION
If the Services tool in Control Panel (on a Windows NT 4.0-based system) or the MMC Services snap-in (on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP-based system) is used to start the service, the QueryServiceStatus function is used to track the progress of the service until it reports a status of SERVICE_RUNNING or SERVICE_STOPPED. QueryServiceStatus returns the most recent status information reported to the SCM. The SCM does not call the service control handler in this scenario.

However, Net.exe determines the current service status by interrogating the service periodically by using the ControlService function with a SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE control code. This control code is delivered to the control handler for the service. In response, the service posts its current status information back to the SCM by calling SetServiceStatus. The service control handler code should report one of the following valid states, which are defined in the winsvc.h header file:
//
// Service State -- for CurrentState
//
#define SERVICE_STOPPED 0x00000001
#define SERVICE_START_PENDING 0x00000002
#define SERVICE_STOP_PENDING 0x00000003
#define SERVICE_RUNNING 0x00000004
#define SERVICE_CONTINUE_PENDING 0x00000005
#define SERVICE_PAUSE_PENDING 0x00000006
#define SERVICE_PAUSED 0x00000007

If a service state not listed in the preceding code sample is reported by the service, the SCM will log an error with Event ID 7016 in the system event log, together with the name of the service.

These same symptoms may occur if any other application interrogates the service to determine its current status.

REFERENCES
For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
»support.microsoft.com/kb/257509/EN-US/257509 Hardware Inventory May Cause Third-Party Win32 Services to Stop
»support.microsoft.com/kb/257689/EN-US/257689 Error Message When You Use "Net" Command with Microsoft Exchange Connector for POP3 Mailboxes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Win32 Application Programming Interface (API), when used with:
Microsoft Windows XP Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 7
--
One man's customer loyalty is another man's misguided arrogance.