Search similar:

uniqs

Lamp69er
@2-254.xx.217.xx.tele

Lamp69er

Anon

SpeedStream 5400

i have a SS 5400 working on a pc.
This pc has 2 network cards, so i used a network cable and linked another pc to it.

i already fowarded ports i needed on the 1st pc, and now, id like to know how to foward on the 2nd pc.... cuz i dont know wut IP to use

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

You would hook the other PC to the 5400 (it has 4 ports, right?), not to the PC that has two NICs.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Lamp69er
@2-254.xx.217.xx.tele

Lamp69er

Anon

u are right man...now here comes my possible 2nd problem:

the tech that installed it brought a SS-5200 installation cd(witch is 1port). But he decided installing it anyway and somehow it really worked....
Later, I called the ISP and they recognized the error ok, and they said they are sending me the correct installation cd(5400)...
but, u know, its almost x-mas, and i guess they will take long time to send me it....id like to go using it that way while i dont receive the cd.

Now here comes da question: is it possible to do it the way im trying??

p.s: is there a site i can dl the necessary drivers for the 5400 ??

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Ethernet connections do not need drivers. The Ethernet connection drivers are handled by the Operating System. The Router controls the handing of IP addresses out to the PCs.

Read the Manual on how to setup the PC.
5100, 5200, 5400, 5500 User Guide Revision 2.1 [3.3MB PDF file]

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Lamp69er
@2-254.xx.217.xx.tele

Lamp69er

Anon

ok Doctor.. i downloaded it and i see is a big file...so i will read it carefully...

but in few words, u mean that i dont need to wait for an installation cd, i just need to plug in to the modem and link to the other machine ? (no matter whatever the 5200 cd installed)

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Click for full size
If your 5400 is a Router it will give private IPs to any PC that connects to it when the PC is set to DHCP (i.e., Obtain IP Address Automatically).

You may need to issue the "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" commands to get the 5400 DHCP server to give a new IP to the PC or reboot.

The 5400 Web Interface should be reachable at »192.168.254.254

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Lamp69er
@2-254.xx.217.xx.tele

Lamp69er

Anon

well i didnt read the manual yet, i wus just thinking about what u said, about that being a router....

192.168.254.254 --- really takes me to da configuration page, and i see the settings i made(PORT FOWARD) while using the other pc.

i disconected the network cable and pluged back the cable that comes directly from the modem(ye i have 2 cables)
and it sayz its not connected. The /ipconfig shows 0.0.0.0

i looked in the web based setup under the DHCP menu and it sayz its ENABLE

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

I would not be able to tell what modifications your ISP has done or how the 5400 Router works other than in a factory default setup as the Manual shows you.

Otherwise you will need to ask your ISP what they have done to this Router.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Lamp69er
@2-254.xx.217.xx.tele

Lamp69er

Anon

hehe.... that a big problem too..cuz the support is poor, i think i know more than those techs (and im a completely noob at this)

Anyway, u think its time for a reset ?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Lamp69er:

Anyway, u think its time for a reset ?
If you know every setting to put into the Router, then no Software should be needed on any PC as the 5400 is a Router by default. However is your ISP makes you use software to connect it sounds like they have crippled or disabled the Router features as it has built in software to handle multiple connection types. PPPoA, PPPoE, IPoA, plus a few more.

If you do not know how to setup the 5400 to make it connect to your ISP then I do not suggest you reset it as you will lose all configuration settings.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Lamp69er
@200.222.x.x

Lamp69er

Anon

Yeah , I see.

I just read in a site that if I set it to bridge mode, id be making the modem "invisible", and my ISP would assume different public IPs for the 2 machines.
So i wont need to link em by network cards...just the modem linking 2 pcs....

But in that way, i think i wont be able to do port foward (will i?), witch was my 1st problem, cuz i want to /dcc send on mIRC and use WinMX..

Guess i dunno where to go anymore
Hope i can solve this....and i must TY for da great help til here...

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

In Bridge Mode all packets are forwarded since the PCs should have Public IPs, but the 5400 was designed to share a Single Public IP to many Private IP PC on it's LAN. Most ISPs only give a residential customer 1 Public IP and you get no connection when you try to get a second Public IP.

I am at a disadvantage since I do not know what your ISP uses to connect or what their DSL plan they give to you allows you do like do you have just 1 Public IP or multiple Public IPs. If the Multiple Public IPs were the case, you wouldn't need a Router, but a DSL Modem with a separate Hub or Switch with software on each PC or Static Public IPs on each PC. When you get a Router it usually means all IPs on the LAN are Private IPs (192.168.254.254 for the LAN IP of the Router and the PCs would get 192.168.254.1 and .2 and .3 so one) and only the Router gets a Public IP.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Lamp69er
@user.veloxzone.com.b

Lamp69er

Anon

yeh, ISP provides me only one IP.
I think that when the tech installed the 5200 cd, it set the 5400 to work in bridge mode, so other machines wont find no available IPs to work with..

I dunno wuts on dat cd. I see a lot of ppl talking about firmware update and stuff like that, maybe thats wut it is.

I already tryied setting static IP (with a proper guide) but no joy yet.

I guess reset is my best bet at this moment...ive been thinking about making some screenshots of the current settings, so they can guide me on the setup....
Do you think its a good idea ?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Lamp69er:

.ive been thinking about making some screenshots of the current settings, so they can guide me on the setup....
Do you think its a good idea ?
It sure can't hurt if you have them for future reference. You might try to find a neighbor or friend on your ISP and see how they are setup. Otherwise, I am unable to advise your next step.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Lamp69er
@user.veloxzone.com.b

Lamp69er

Anon

ok, reset is done, no joy yet tho.
The 1st pc still works with no problem. The modem now has 2 connection lights ON, so i guess the other pc is receiving its signal (it wasnt b4), what makes me think that the modem returned to da router mode. \o/

I still cant get the 2nd pc to work tho, maybe it needs more accurate setup, so im putting some links here thinking that will be better to explain...

»img.photobucket.com/albu ··· /rfc.jpg
this rfc menu is new, it didnt show up b4 the reset

»img.photobucket.com/albu ··· home.jpg
»img.photobucket.com/albu ··· /wan.jpg
»img.photobucket.com/albu ··· host.jpg
»img.photobucket.com/albu ··· dhcp.jpg
»img.photobucket.com/albu ··· /nat.jpg

Still hoping to solve this....
And not to stress....TY so far...