uniqs

Liontaur
Lets Get Boincing Already

join:2001-11-03
Salmon Arm, BC

1 edit

Liontaur

BT upload slowdowns in Greater Vancouver #2

Use this thread to continue the conversation on the BT/P2P throttling in the GVRD. Thanks folks.
ivan3002
join:2001-10-10

ivan3002

Re: BT slowdowns in Greater Vancouver #2

I live in New Westminster and I have noticed my internet speed fall darasticly in the past few days. Before that it was normal my dl speed would max out at 350kb/s now I am lucky if i get over a 100 kb/s. I think this is totals bs....
mempf3
join:2004-09-17
New Westminster, BC

mempf3

Same problem Ivan

guessss
@shawcable.net

guessss to Liontaur

Anon

to Liontaur
i have the worst of u all....its been 1 month already....speeds never over 15k/s!, even with 70 seeds.....
East Van, Broadway and Nanaimo
Motorolla Modem
High speed

debug000
@shawcable.net

debug000

Anon

well looks like we are on the same boat. so much for shaw's upgrades..... they have something done to our lines, and there is no way to get by pass that unless bt changes it's protocol. (am i right?) for some people that can still dl at full speed, what i can say is "luck people; i am so jealous now. BUT yor days will come!"
i am been trying to work around but there is still no hope.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

1 edit

analog andy to Liontaur

to Liontaur
I should have added that Im using a SOHO account so not sure if that makes any difference. Also my location in Surrey is 100 and 152. I tried dling xandros again today and the speed was climbing past 125 when I shut it down.

[removed link - Liontaur]

stop bitchin
@shawcable.net

stop bitchin

Anon

call tech support. you pay for a service especially on soho and tech support should help you achieve proper speeds. slow or intermittent connections can take a while to troubleshoot. get them to open a trouble ticket and copy the modem readings into it as a baseline. then call them when it's bad and get them to do the same. that way they can compare the tests and figure out what is wrong. it worked for me. turns out it was a bad splitter....and one that I put in, so it was totally my fault too
riggits
join:2005-01-06
Abbotsford, BC

riggits to Liontaur

to Liontaur
experiencing USELESS internet service from Shaw in Abbotsford; every transaction less than 5 seconds will complete at reasonable speed. However larger downloads won't ever complete, even usenet binary posts cut off after a megabyte or so, repeatably. It's been this way since Jan02/2005.
My postal code is V2T 3X8, Abbotsford. I called up Shaw, the tech claimed that since I have a valid IP address, then EVERYthing must be OK. He pretended he didn't hear my question about bandwidth shaping, despite several repetitions of the questions.
It's fairly obvious that Shaw is crippling my Extreme connection. I will be testing Telus as soon as I can, because I can't use Shaw any more.
bioflux
join:2004-12-26
Pitt Meadows, BC

bioflux to Liontaur

to Liontaur
This crap is ridiculous. I live in the middle of nowhere out by the dykes in Pitt Meadows. The nodes here are dead. I've seen download speeds well over a meg a second from some HTTP servers, and I'm getting a whopping 10 kps down, 10 kps up from like 7 torrents. Shaw is going to get an earful tomorrow...

Hysteric
@shawcable.net

Hysteric to Liontaur

Anon

to Liontaur
I live in Richmond, and while I haven't had problems with downloading, I have had significant problems uploading in both Bittorrent and DC++. I can't seem to upload more than 3-4kps on any torrent, and uploading seems impossible for DC++.

I've never gone over the bandwidth limits, and I'm not behind a router.
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to Liontaur

to Liontaur
I did a few BT downloads, and found my connection goes to heck for days afterwards (i.e., lots of timeouts). Any attempt to do a regular HTTP download suddenly causes the connection to die for a minute every few minutes. Ugh.
davisx
join:2005-01-06

davisx

Just out of curiousity, has anyone in calgary been effected by this so called traffic shaping?

I have great BT speeds currently in NW Calgary.

I wonder if/when this shaping will come here.

guest2222
@208.181.x.x

guest2222

Anon

soo slow

guest12451
@shawcable.net

guest12451

Anon

Do we really need to be throttled to 10k/s down at 5:30 AM ?!?!

Dammit where are the alternatives?

guess7719
@shawcable.net

guess7719 to Liontaur

Anon

to Liontaur
I have the same problem. I want to know for sure if the Terayon modem or Motorola SB5100 makes a difference or not?
some people say it does or some say it doesn't.
jordanlol
join:2004-11-01

jordanlol to Liontaur

to Liontaur
this is crazy i am at my cousin,s place and boom we started some bt dl, 30 kbs max dl upload less than 10kbs,sad i am here cause my line with adsl have a outages .he will switch to adsl soon cause he was stuck on a contract till feb.so shaw i know u care less but one more less coustomer soon,so keep up the bt filtering ,soon there will not be enough people to cared except u...:p
jordanlol

jordanlol to Liontaur

to Liontaur
did some testing tonight now at 4 am speed is 20-25 dl and up less than 5 kbs , the funny thing is when u used emule as a dl program it shuts down the internet line and u need to get ip again to reconnect.
Loap
join:2005-01-04
Victoria, BC

Loap to Liontaur

to Liontaur
I live in Victoria and just went from an old Terayon modem (stopped working) from 99' or so to one of these new Motorola Surfboards. Before the switch I was having zero problems with torrents. After the switch I can no longer upload past 10k/s and with the way torrents work that slows down my downloads.

There HAS to be in the CRTC against this, right? What's going to stop Shaw from filtering down anything they want? What if Shaw was to launch a web-based video on demand service but had tough competition from another company? Would they be able just to throttle the other company's service to the point where it's unusable and forces people to use Shaw's own?

I'm also unable to get more than one IP address on my home network as well. Before I had used up to 4 with zero problems. I think my contract with them from 99' says I'm allowed to have up to 5.
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to Liontaur

to Liontaur
CRTC does *NOT* regulate Internet providers. They have clearly stated this, and they *WILL NOT* regulate them. Now, Shaw is regulated by the CRTC (for cable services and programming), so you *may* make a complaint, but it may not be acted upon. Now, you might be able to file one with Industry Canada, such that if enough people do, IC may commission a study about it, but that's about it.

guess7719
@shawcable.net

guess7719 to Liontaur

Anon

to Liontaur
Can we still use Terayon modems?

NotReallyHereMan
@cgocable.net

NotReallyHereMan to tlhIngan

Anon

to tlhIngan
Unfortunatly there really is no legal recourse to this. I'm one of the users in Hamilton who's had the same thing happen. I checked the fine print and unfortunatly cable companies word it very carefully to basically say they can do anything they want and you have to either cope or cancel.

I suggest you either a) Switch ISPs or b) make as big a pain in Shaw's side as you can. Be vocal about it, make this problem their problem. Have 15 minutes before your favorite TV show comes on? Don't watch the last half of that Friends rerun, pick up the phone and complain to tech support instead. If you do this be nice about it though, Teir 1 techs generally hate decisions like this as much as you do and they honestly can't do anything about it. I know, I've been there. The point of the call is to tie up the helpdesk, destroying their stats andand hopefully push these complaints repeatedly up the chain of command to someone who has the authority to say 'Throttling isnt worth it' and have that opinion listened to by the bean counters.

Post your complaints in high profile message boards. When doing this emphasize the fact that YOU THINK that your ISP is throttling applications arbitrarily without announcement and that you're worried about what else they're planning on throttling. By wording your complaints this way it will hopefullly steer a lot of potential business clients away from their ISP as businesses are always skittish when it comes to signing up for services that do not have any sort of binding guarantee. Always make sure you add 'I think' 'from my experience' 'lately I believe that' to your claims in message boards otherwise one of the corporate goons might slap a libel suit against you if your campaign gets too successful.

I, for one, would cancel Cogeco right now if not for the fact that rewiring my network right now would be horribly inconvinient (I'd have to rewire and reconfigure my whole network to do it) and because, to be honest, I didn't use BT that much to begin with. I am one of those clients who's not upset about BT being throttled but upset about the precident that's been set and the prospect of other things being throttled. Things I *really* need available to me.

I'm thinking of moving some time in the next year or two, when I do I will definatly avoid Cogeco. I hope that this will be a wake-up call to the world that although the regulating body might suck, allowing service providers to provide critical services without any form of oversight is a greater evil.
fookdood
join:2003-03-28
canada

fookdood to Liontaur

to Liontaur
my dl seems to be unaffected
however
my bt uploads are never above 2 or 3

can anyone take the time to explain what exactly
"bandwidth throttling" is and what shaw has done?

killwoo
@shawcable.net

killwoo to Liontaur

Anon

to Liontaur
bandwidth throttling, slow bt or p2p downloads, where do u lived ?what is ur download speed?i have 30kbs and 5kbs uploads with 12 torrents, and yes it si well seeded.i am in vancouver.
superbrat963
join:2005-01-11
Surrey, BC

superbrat963 to Liontaur

to Liontaur
I'm in the surrey area, and I've noticed a drastic drop in my uploads. I can download with no problems what so ever. But as for uploading it's quite the joke. Although i can surf the internet with no problems, speed tests show I'm getting good speeds, it's just the P2P share programs such as kazaa and winmx that I'm having issues with. And i know 15 people myself that use those programs and all are having the same problem. I have the extreme modem myself, and needless to say i was a little ticked off that people trying to upload anything from me would constantly get disconnected cause the connection was so slow. I'm talking like .15 kbps to 2.5 kbps MAX !! I have been on the phone with shaw numerous times, they tried to blame it on the internet traffic and such, but after calling non stop and complaining they have finally informed me that they have located a problem with the p2p sharing and that Numerous people have been calling complaining of the same thing, they just aren't sure when they are going to be able to fix it. They have forwarded all the information to Ontario and hope to have this issue resolved shortly. Just waiting for them to call back when they have it resolved.

Nitro Fixx
join:2003-02-17
Maple Ridge, BC

Nitro Fixx to fookdood

to fookdood
said by fookdood:

can anyone take the time to explain what exactly
"bandwidth throttling" is and what shaw has done?
read »BT slowdowns in Greater Vancouver?
from the beginning of the thread

the_truth
@telus.net

the_truth to Liontaur

Anon

to Liontaur
said by superbrat963:
I have been on the phone with shaw numerous times, they tried to blame it on the internet traffic and such, but after calling non stop and complaining they have finally informed me that they have located a problem with the p2p sharing and that Numerous people have been calling complaining of the same thing, they just aren't sure when they are going to be able to fix it. They have forwarded all the information to Ontario and hope to have this issue resolved shortly. Just waiting for them to call back when they have it resolved.
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa........

Nitro Fixx
join:2003-02-17
Maple Ridge, BC

Nitro Fixx to superbrat963

to superbrat963
said by superbrat963:

They have forwarded all the information to Ontario and hope to have this issue resolved shortly. Just waiting for them to call back when they have it resolved.
In other words they simply brushed you off, because
Shaw's head office is in Calgary, Alberta.

stationary
@shawcable.net

stationary

Anon

Instead of bitching, why don't you guys switch to another Inet provider?

As long as you guys are still paying them, there is no way they're going to stop this bandwidth shaping.

I know if they every implement this sort of throttling in calgary, i will switch providers IMMEDIATELY.
Imhotep0
join:2002-09-12
Beverly Hills, CA

Imhotep0

the only other hi speed option is Telus and i dont have or want a land line, so i'm stuck.

oblisk87
@smarttadsl.com

oblisk87 to Nitro Fixx

Anon

to Nitro Fixx
Switch to another ISP? like whicfh ones? Telus sucks to me though