Big_D7
Premium Member
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

2 recommendations

Big_D7

Premium Member

Comcast speed upgrades thread - Part 5

Here is all the latest info on the 2005 speed upgrades. This is a continuation of part 4, which can be found here: »Comcast speed upgrades thread - Part 4

Q: What will the new advertised speeds be?
A: The base package (silver) will be 4000/384. The $10 add on tier (gold) will be 6000/768.

Q: What will the new caps be?
A: The caps will be 4300/384 and 6300/768 for silver and gold, respectively.

Q: What about download speeds?
A: Accounting for overhead, you can can expect a max of 506 KB/s with silver and 742 KB/s with gold.

Q: Will there be a price increase for HSI?
A: Not at this time.

Q: Will all Comcast subscribers get the upgrade?
A: Yes, everyone will get it. Some will get it sooner then others based on a roll-out schedule.

Q: When can I expect the upgrade?
A: The upgrade is expected to be completed by March 31st.

Q: How do I know if my area has been upgraded?
A: Please take a look at the database mbernste See Profile put together: »[Connectivity] Speed upgrade tracking database created

Q: Can I call Comcast to find out when I will be upgraded?
A: Comcast has not released the dates for all areas yet. Please be patient and do not call Comcast.

Q: Will I have to purchase/lease a new modem?
A: No, this speed upgrade will not require a new modem.

Q: Does Comcast have to upgrade my area to QAM 256 before the speed upgrades.
A: No, but it would be beneficial to Comcast to do so.

Q: Will the new speed upgrade be automatic or will I have to reboot my modem?
A: In most cases you will need to reboot your modem.

Q: What happened to Pro?
A: The Pro package is slowly being phased out in all areas. Current Pro customers should get the upgrade, but they would save a lot of money by switching to the gold tier.
Big_D7

2 edits

2 recommendations

Big_D7

Premium Member

Here is the list of cities/areas that are expected to be upgraded on January 26th. Please keep in mind that this list is subject to change at any time.

Baltimore
Albuquerque
Chesapeake Bay
Chesterfield
Dallas
Delmar
Pittsburgh (including Elyria and Tri-State)
Richmond
Boston
Connecticut
North New Jersey
South New Jersey
PA Metro and West
Detroit
Indianappolis
Kansas City
Fort Wayne
Flint
Augusta
Charleston
Chattanooga
Dallas (GA)
East Tennessee
Hattiesburg
Huntsville
Jacksonville
Lake County
Little Rock
Medridian
Miami
Mobile
Nashville
Paducah
Panama City
Savannah
Tallahassee
Tuscaloosa
Sarasota
Portland

As well as the existing trial markets:
Washington DC
Knoxville
Naples

If your City was not listed above then there is no scheduled release time available in your area. All upgrades are expected to be completed by March 31st.
suffocate
join:2002-11-02
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

suffocate

Where is that document you were telling us about

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 edit

Sunny to Big_D7

to Big_D7
Thanks for starting the new thread, Big_D7 See Profile. As I never tire of saying, we appreciate so much your dedication to helping us stay informed here.

For everyone, we had to lose some of the previous thread s due to problems with pagination. After a couple of splits to move out off topic branches of the thread, they tend to break for many people, making it difficult to see new posts in the thread. Please, folks, just start a new topic when you wish to discuss a side issue. You can always link back to a post in this thread for clarity.

Here are the rules for this thread:

- Please keep all discussion regarding the residential speed upgrades Comcast will be rolling out to all customers in this thread. Any new threads on this general topic will be locked.

- Please limit discussions in this thread to general discussion about these speed upgrades. All off topic posts will be deleted. Please don't take such action personally. We're trying to keep this forum useable for all.

- Please do not post to let us know you haven't received the upgrade.

- Please do not repeatedly post speed tests of the new speeds. One per poster will do. There are excellent tools on this site for searching by zip code to see recorded speed tests for your area.

- If you have an individual issue with the upgrade, please start a new topic to request assistance.

- Please note we are not talking about an individual upgrade, one where you pay Comcast $10 to upgrade the speed of your connection. We are primarily concerned here with the all customer upgrades Big_D7 See Profile described in the first post in this thread.

Please IM either Sunny See Profile or draven See Profile with any questions regarding these rules.

Site and forum posting rules also apply, as always.

Let's keep this thread useful.

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

1 edit

DeeC to Big_D7

Premium Member

to Big_D7
Excuse me, but that so sucks! How could "Chicago" not be a major market? It is the third largest city in the U.S....
aarskringspi
join:2004-10-02
Springfield, OR

aarskringspi to Big_D7

to Big_D7
From what I was told, its not only the city but is greater market. Even though Im not in Portland, infact Im about 100 miles away, I fall into their market and as such the Eugene/Springfield area is scheduled to get the upgrade on the 26th. Guess we will find out if that is true or not.
BCH
join:2000-10-06
Atlanta, GA

BCH to Big_D7

to Big_D7
Interesting Atlanta is not listed but Dallas GA, approximately 30 miles northwest of Atlanta, is listed.

chia
join:2003-12-20
Fort Lauderdale, FL

chia to Big_D7

to Big_D7
Woooo Miami! This week is going to go by soooo slow now.

Thanks for all the info Big D.
suffocate
join:2002-11-02
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

suffocate

How is Atlanta not listed? That is a huge market.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to Big_D7

MVM

to Big_D7
Hm... Tucson isn't on that list.

I think I've missed something, where'd you get the list?

oldTDNickell5
Premium Member
join:2000-12-19
Federal Way, WA

oldTDNickell5 to Big_D7

Premium Member

to Big_D7

This is a better break down of the Dallas Texas market for 26 Jan.

the Dallas Market
IRVING, Texas, Jan. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast, the nation's number one broadband provider, is upgrading its two residential speed tiers, as it prepares to introduce a full suite of innovative online services and products throughout 2005.

The speed enhancements include increases in both upstream and downstream speeds to enable faster uploads and downloads of large files (photos, videos, music), more online and multiplayer gaming, easier home networking, and new innovative online services. These speed increases will be offered to customers at no additional charge.

Comcast's current 3Mbps downstream / 256kbps upstream tier will be upgraded to 4Mbps / 384kbps, and its 4Mbps downstream / 384kbps upstream tier will jump to a faster 6Mbps/768kbps.

The speed increases will be automatic, which means customers are not required to download any special files or upgrade their connections.

The speed upgrades will begin on January 26th and will be available to customers in Addison, Allen, Arlington, Bedford, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Cockrell Hill, Colleyville, Coppell, Dallas, Dalworthington Gardens, DeSoto, Double Oak, Euless, Farmers Branch, Farmersville, Flower Mound, Frisco, Garland, Grand Prairie, Grapevine, Greenville, Hebron, Highland Village, Hutchins, Irving, Lancaster, Lewisville, McKinney, Mesquite, Murphy, Pantego, Parker, Plano, Point Royal, Princeton, Richardson, Rowlett, Sachse, St. Paul, Southfork, Stonebridge Ranch, Sunnyvale, The Colony and Wylie.
Rogerquake9
join:2002-01-12
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Rogerquake9 to Big_D7

to Big_D7
That's great info if you live in Texas (TX ownz) but why a whole press release just for Texas and no other states? I've tried twice chatting with Comcast to see if the Fort Lauderdale, FL area would be upgraded on the 26th, but I've gotten no answer.

Ted4
Premium Member
join:2001-03-08
Seattle, WA

1 edit

Ted4 to Big_D7

Premium Member

to Big_D7
Well, Seattle wasn't on the list although some had mentioned it would be up on the 26th as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
dweeb
join:2002-06-23
Pleasant Ridge, MI

dweeb to Rogerquake9

to Rogerquake9
How about everyone wait until Jan 26? No need to bother the csrs at Comcast. They probably know as much about it as we do.
rdiedrich
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Mchenry, IL

rdiedrich to Big_D7

Premium Member

to Big_D7
Does "Lake County" Refer to the Lake County, IL area as this was the former AT&T Head Office? If so does that possibly include the "McHenry" Headend?

_-Randy-_
ziggynap
join:2003-11-11
Rehoboth Beach, DE

ziggynap to Big_D7

to Big_D7
this is BULLLSHIT i knew it!!! slower lower delaware will never get upgraded. i Remember when the 3 MB upgrades rolled out we didn't get it till january 2004. that means we wont upgraded till '06!!

Big_D7
Premium Member
Augusta, GA

Big_D7 to Nerdtalker

Premium Member

to Nerdtalker
said by Nerdtalker:

I have my sources

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker

MVM

said by Big_D7:
said by Nerdtalker:

I have my sources
Ah ;) Just making sure I didn't totally miss something in the previous threads!

Big_D7
Premium Member
Augusta, GA

Big_D7 to ziggynap

Premium Member

to ziggynap
said by ziggynap:

slower lower delaware will never get upgraded.
Ok, 1 more time...
said by Big D8:

All upgrades are expected to be completed by March 31st.
(2005)
cooperaaaron
join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

cooperaaaron to DeeC

to DeeC
Hmmmm... Wonder why we are NOT on that list ????

I'll wait till the 26th to rant then.....
dscline
join:2001-09-01
Atlanta, GA

dscline to dweeb

to dweeb
said by dweeb:

No need to bother the csrs at Comcast. They probably know as much about it as we do.
I think you're giving them FAR too much credit.

chpthrll
Its Only A Thing
Premium Member
join:2004-01-18
Evans, GA

1 recommendation

chpthrll to Big_D7

Premium Member

to Big_D7
Thanks Big_D,the people here in the Augusta area really appreciate your efforts in this forum.
ziggynap
join:2003-11-11
Rehoboth Beach, DE

ziggynap to Big_D7

to Big_D7
its called exageration...and i was previously told that my area would be upgraded by the end of january (promised by SEVERAL CSRs)... and history repeats it self (I was THE LAST area to get the 3 MB upgrade so that means i will be THE LAST to get the 6 MB upgrade) sorry that you can't understand common exageration.

Big_D7
Premium Member
Augusta, GA

1 edit

Big_D7

Premium Member

said by ziggynap:

and history repeats it self (I was THE LAST area to get the 3 MB upgrade so that means i will be THE LAST to get the 6 MB upgrade)
I don't think that's necessarily true. My area got the 3 MB upgrade about half way thru the rollouts, and this time we are slated to be one of the first (outside of testing areas).

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to ziggynap

Premium Member

to ziggynap
said by ziggynap:

slower lower delaware will never get upgraded. i Remember when the 3 MB upgrades rolled out we didn't get it till january 2004. that means we wont upgraded till '06!!
Ziggy- are you sure you aren't included with the Chesapeake Bay area?
niplet
join:2003-10-04
Nashville, TN

niplet to Big_D7

to Big_D7
just finished an online chat session and the rep did confirm Nashville as one of the cities to get the upgrade on the 26th, will wait and see however.

great job Big_D keep up the good work.

You Suck
@nrockv01.md.comcast.

You Suck to Big_D7

Anon

to Big_D7
Where's parts 6; 7; 8 & 9? I wanna read ahead and see if they upgrade my area?
thefunks
join:2002-06-08
Powder Springs, GA

thefunks to Big_D7

to Big_D7
That's wacked as hell. Dallas (GA) is 6 miles down the road from me in Powder Springs.

-Funk

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

1 edit

AthlGrond to Big_D7

Premium Member

to Big_D7
said by Big_D7:

All upgrades are expected to be completed by March 31st.
w00t! Sooner than I was expecting!

Thanks for the good news Big_D!

Toguro
join:2003-10-23
Rockford, IL

Toguro to DeeC

to DeeC
Well I could not resist talk to online chat and this is what they told me.
Sheila.8358 > Thank you for contacting Comcast. My name is Sheila, how may I assist you today?
> When will the Chicago area see the speed upgrade
Sheila.8358 > Sometime before the end of 2005, I do not have a absolute date yet.
> ok thanks
I am not surprised I'm just happy its coming sooner or later.