how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aaron12345

join:2002-12-17
Falls Church, VA

[Vonage] Sold out numbers

I'm thinking about getting another vonage line. My area code (703) however appears to be "sold out". What in the world does this mean, and will they eventually have my area code "back in stock"? Thanks.

nickz
In A Past Life I Was Astroguy
Premium
join:2001-12-04
Hammond, IN

It means what you think it does. They normally service that ratecenter but at this time have no available numbers to assign. They will get more but the timeframe unknown.

DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Farmington, MI

said by nickz:

They normally service that ratecenter but at this time have no available numbers to assign. They will get more but the timeframe unknown.
Therein lies one of the biggest Vonage blunders -- not keeping numbers in stock. My area code has been in high demand. With very small local calling areas (a call even 3 miles away may not be local), there are dozens of rate centers in my area code. The rate center I have right now has been out of stock since I got hooked up back in June... until just a few days ago. Rate centers here disappear very quickly, to the extent where the whole area code was sold out recently.

Vonage is losing major business (at least in this area) by not keeping numbers in serviced rate centers in stock. If they run out of numbers in a rate center, they should be able to add more stock by the next day. If they can't, there should at least be an accurate E.T.A. of when the rate center will again have available numbers. The uncertainty of when a rate center may ever become available has caused people here to not consider Vonage for service, either going to another competitor or not bothering with VoIP altogether.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

THis isn't always a provider issue. I was looking at getting a FL DID from livevoip.com and when I inquired, they informed me that Level3 was even out of numbers in that area. So sometimes it is the big boys that are out of stock.

tmccann11
Who, Me?
Premium
join:2001-06-10
Parsippany, NJ
reply to aaron12345

ropeguru pretty much hit it on the head. I'm sure you understand that if there's a large demand for particular NPAs or NPA/NXX's Vonage or any other provider in general are going to try their hardest to get their hands on more. Sometimes, it's just not possible. Since VoIP companies aren't actual phone companies, they have to rely on their CLECs, if their CLECs don't have them, or have them to spare, then they can't offer them. In special circumstances, Vonage or other providers my lower the turnaround time on DIDs that were released to make some available, but usually it's not a big block that they can do this with, so there is a low availability. Best bet is to call and see if they can work with you and explain your situation. No one likes to lose a customer or potential customer.

Digi
--
"Good thing the whole innerweb isn't run with those 3.5 hour reboot time taking computers....I imagine hes running Windows Server 2003 with active directory as a domain controller on a Cascio watch." Barky

Dewi3
Premium
join:2001-09-28
united kingd
reply to aaron12345

There's not a single number available in all of AL and TN (must be selling like blazes down here).
--
Get Firefox today, the browser you can TRUST

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aaron12345

It normally only takes a few weeks for more to come back in stock. I went through it when I signed up, and my both my friends who signed up went through it a few months later. 703 is just very, very popular.
I just wish they would let us grab 571.
--
4 More years and we won't have a country.

bbrlogue
Learning New Things Daily
Premium
join:2003-12-07
Alexandria, VA
reply to aaron12345

Just curious, what are the Vonage NXXs in 703 area code? Mine is 703-842-xxxx (owned by Paetec).

Another possibility is to get a number with Verizon, then port the number to Vonage. It's expensive though.. $38.50 for the "installation" plus about $16 for the bare message service (inclusive of taxes & fees) per month until you get the number ported.

tmccann11
Who, Me?
Premium
join:2001-06-10
Parsippany, NJ

There are no NXXs that are dedicated to Vonage. You can deffinitely get a new line and have it ported to Vonage as long as it is servicable. I know with most LECs like verizon, they can tell you what your number is before they assign it to you. Just have vonage's website open and go to the availability section when you're picking your number. Make sure that it can be ported, and viola. But as you said, it's expensive
--
"Good thing the whole innerweb isn't run with those 3.5 hour reboot time taking computers....I imagine hes running Windows Server 2003 with active directory as a domain controller on a Cascio watch." Barky

bbrlogue
Premium
Alexandria, VA
reply to aaron12345

What I was really wondering was, which NXXs have Vonage given out for non-ported in numbers...

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH

said by bbrlogue:

What I was really wondering was, which NXXs have Vonage given out for non-ported in numbers...
I don't think they will make that very pubic do to SPIT.

bbrlogue
Premium
Alexandria, VA

I wasn't expecting Vonage to make it public, but just was wondering what other subscribers have gotten from them.

tbeckner

join:2004-03-20
Bend, OR

1 edit
reply to aaron12345

said by aaron12345:

My area code (703) however appears to be "sold out".
Based upon a review of Vonage availability I did two nights ago, half of the once available area codes in the United States that Vonage had available six months ago are currently sold out. This cannot be good news for the bottom-line or the future of Vonage. I know that they buy numbers from small wireless companies, but if they are to continue to expand this year they might be in big trouble.

Additionally, AT&T CV has a very big advantage in area code availability and local number porting, so they just might surpass Vonage this year.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

Re: [Vonage] Sold out numbers.

said by tbeckner:

... Based upon a review of Vonage availability I did two nights ago, half of the once available area codes in the United States that Vonage had available six months ago are currently sold out. ...
Maybe they were growing too fast? I imagine it is hard to match the Customer Service staff to their growth.
--
Jim -- USA2K
SEE: |DCWU |FAH |PICS |BVX REVIEW |
FWD, Vonage 23mths-12/04, & BVX 07/04 to now

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI
reply to DiskDrive

Re: [Vonage] Sold out numbers

Sorry, this is a little off topic from 703, but about this availability issue.

said by DiskDrive:

... Therein lies one of the biggest Vonage blunders -- not keeping numbers in stock. My area code has been in high demand. ...
Actually, I find the lack of a good Canton number the best thing that could be for me. A Livonia 734-437 number *seems* local to most people. A Canton number would have incurred lots of local tolls for people calling from Farmington Hills where I work, and South Lyon where I've lived. Maybe you should consider a better choice than Farmington MI.
--
Jim -- USA2K

DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium
Farmington, MI

said by usa2k:

Actually, I find the lack of a good Canton number the best thing that could be for me. A Livonia 734-437 number *seems* local to most people. A Canton number would have incurred lots of local tolls for people calling from Farmington Hills where I work, and South Lyon where I've lived. Maybe you should consider a better choice than Farmington MI.
Actually, the Farmington number does work best for me, as it was local for my wife's work in Livonia, but also various friends and family in WB and Novi. No other rate center offers local calls from all those places. My POTS line (yes, I still have it) actually has a WB number due to my being on the wrong side of the street for the FH switch, making that a zone call to/from Livonia.

Simmer911
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Chelsea, AL
reply to aaron12345

I had intended to use Vonage but I had the same problem as you. Vonage seems to be out of stock of a lot of numbers. Why they cannot get the area codes and others can I do not know. This is why I went with ATT Call Vantage service; simply because Vonage could not give me a 205 area code...and to this day Vonage still does not have 205 area codes. I find it hard to understand how they continue to promote the product especially in Circuit Citys and Best Buys when they cannot supply local area codes.
--
»www.talkaboutvoip.com

roamer1
sticking it out at you

join:2001-03-24
Atlanta, GA

3 edits
reply to tbeckner

said by tbeckner:

I know that they buy numbers from small wireless companies
Vonage does not "buy numbers from small wireless companies"; they get them from a small number of CLECs (from what I've seen, Focal/Broadwing in particular.) Number pooling (where carriers receive numbers in blocks of 1,000 rathern than 10,000) can make numbers look like they are assigned from wireless carriers, if you look at only the NPA-NXX and not the NPA-NXX-X.

(NPA-NXX-X assignments are at »www.nationalpooling.com/pas/cont···teTyp=FR If a NPA-NXX-X is not listed there, the number belongs to the carrier who has the "whole" NPA-NXX unless it was ported out.)

One reason VoIP carriers in general have issues with keeping phone numbers in stock (I've seen the same happen with VoicePulse and others, but not to the degree I've seen with Vonage) is that NANPA, which assigns phone numbers, is tightly managing number resources, and the CLECs VoIP providers use can't let VoIP providers or anyone else have "too many" numbers just sitting in reserve for future customers without raising the ire of NANPA. (Most VoIP providers order numbers in advance of customers actually signing up for service rather than dynamically requesting numbers from CLECs when a new customer signs up. There are a number of factors for why that is.)

A related problem I've seen with Vonage is that they still have no coverage in smaller markets (like Chattanooga and Knoxville, TN) where P8, VoicePulse, CV, and many, many others have numbers, mostly because of what appears to be reluctance to use more CLECs than the few they do now. Sticking with only the largest cities isn't a good way to grow a telephony business...too many CLECs competing in the same small number of cities for the same customers is one of the reasons the "CLEC bust" happened.

-SC
--
"it seems like all you ever buy is Abercrombie and cell phones" --a friend

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI
reply to DiskDrive

download734437_calli···area.zip 78,002 bytes
Thanks OpenOffice.Org for exporting as PDF :)
(734437_calling_area.pdf)
said by DiskDrive:
said by usa2k:

Actually, the Farmington number does work best for me, as it was local for my wife's work in Livonia, but also various friends and family in WB and Novi. No other rate center offers local calls from all those places. My POTS line (yes, I still have it) actually has a WB number due to my being on the wrong side of the street for the FH switch, making that a zone call to/from Livonia.

Hmm, South Lyon is a local toll to me I guess.

Attached is a PDF of 734-437 per what SBC deem local to my number. »localcalling.sbc.com/LCA/lca_input.jsp
--
Jim -- USA2K

DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium
Farmington, MI

said by usa2k:

Hmm, South Lyon is a local toll to me I guess.
Yep. Somebody had to go sneak the Northville rate center (including Novi) in between, eh?

tbeckner

join:2004-03-20
Bend, OR

1 edit
reply to roamer1

said by roamer1:

said by tbeckner:I know that they buy numbers from small wireless companies
Number pooling (where carriers receive numbers in blocks of 1,000 rather than 10,000) can make numbers look like they are assigned from wireless carriers, if you look at only the NPA-NXX and not the NPA-NXX-X.
Actually, using the the national lookup tables you supplied via the link, my number from Vonage was originally assigned to a small local wireless carrier.

Update: I just rechecked the information and it now reflects "Focal" as the previous carrier.

DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium
Farmington, MI

said by tbeckner:

Update: I just rechecked the information and it now reflects "Focal" as the previous carrier.
Actually, Focal Communications is one of the carriers that Vonage frequently uses as the CLEC to provide you with your phone number.

Mikey22

@shawcable.net
reply to aaron12345

Everyone that tries to get numbers has this problem. I looked everywhere and found a VoIP provide in Arizona that had plenty of numbers. Check this »www.livevoip.com I emailed them and they will connect you if you have a box like the one Vonage sells. Cheap prices on numbers.