uniqs
share rss forum feed

keith2468
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-03
Winnipeg, MB

1 edit

Verizon Promotes Ugly American Stereotype

Country based filtering should never be an opt-out option.

Spamcop.net, the email service that has lead much technology in this area, lets its paying users pick and choose for themselves which email filters they want to apply, including the "Spamcop Black List" (SBL), various "open mail relay" blacklists, various "known spammer blacklists", SpamAssassin (a Bayesian filter and choose the spam threshold score), and finally various country filters. Last time I checked, the SBL was the only filter that defaulted to on, and the SBL is based purely on spam reports and IP addresses in spam headers.

An ISP can't quietly take it upon itself to filter the email of Alan Gottlieb, a former Canadian ambassador to the US in the Regan era and current US based foreign trade consultant, based on its country of origin without expecting tremendous legal liability.

Some people know people in China.

Some people help Intel, Ford and GM do business in China.

But you can sure as heck filter my email on the basis of country of origin.

Let the customer choose !!!

Spamcop.net also lets users choose to flag the email as spam or to hold it in spam folder.

This is the thing:

1. It is excellent that ISPs are providing spam filters for their customers.

2. It is a bad that ISPs are quietly doing this without informing their customers.

3. It is bad that Verizon does something that so promotes the unfortunate image Americans are getting for xenophobia (fear of foreigners).

When I report spam, Spamcop tells me the ISP the spam appeared to originate from based on the headers, and a lot of it comes from the US (maybe raking second to China, maybe ranking first).

And I can look at the spam and I can see that the advertisers paying for it are pretty much based in the USA, the spam's real country of origin, the country where the advertiser who paid to have the spam created is resident in.

So if Verizon wants to filter spam on the basis of country, and it doesn't want to be accused of racism, it should filter email from US sources too. Or it should make country based filtering an opt-in option (like spamcop.net does).

Nobody seems to want to use the word, but this definitely gives the impression of racism and xenophobia, although very probably it was just a massive collective failure of Verizon executives to think for from the customer's perspective for a minute.

Sadly, Verizon's actions play right into the hands of anti-Americans. But I have little doubt Verison's policy will be fixed next week when they realize what has happened.

(I've never seen spam from New Zealand from a .nz ISP and I've seen thousands of spam analyzed.)
--
(Virus&Hijacking FAQ + Submit suspected malware + Backups FAQ + Security FAQ TOC)

keith2468
Premium,MVM
Winnipeg, MB

US still top source of spam, says Sophos

»news.inq7.net/infotech/index.php···id=22616

US still top source of spam, says Sophos

NEARLY half of all spam spread throughout the world is from the United States, making the country the top spammer of the year, according to a report released by software security firm Sophos.... ... ...

quote:

--
(Virus&Hijacking FAQ + Submit suspected malware + Backups FAQ + Security FAQ TOC)

keith2468
Premium,MVM
Winnipeg, MB

1 edit
reply to keith2468

What Verizon Should Provide

Click for full size
Spamcop Filter Selection List
This is the sort of option page Verizon should provide to its customers for selecting spam filters. Click on image twice to enlarge it.

AtomicZero

join:2004-11-24
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to keith2468

Re: Verizon Promotes Ugly American Stereotype

I luv the US, but we do tend to make rash, uninformed decisions.

keith2468
Premium,MVM
Winnipeg, MB
reply to keith2468

Racist defined:
»Same with a lot of ISP's