spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gthmpsn

@ftnfinancial.com

[Vonage] Unavailable Area Codes

I was getting ready to add a virtual number to my Vonage line, but I found it interesting enough that all of a sudden all numbers for my area code is gone. As a matter of fact neither Packet 8 nor lingo have numbers in my area code. Even more, the whole state is unavailable. Vonage has no idea how long before they secure more numbers.

Do you think it's a move by the local phone carrier (Bellsouth here) to make it difficult to get numbers or is it something else? I know they reserve them in large blocks, but how long does it really take to acquire new numbers.

DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Farmington, MI

Most VoIP providers don't get numbers from the ILEC (incumbent local exchange carrier), but from CLEC's (competitive LEC's).

If you care to share your desired city, state and area code, some others here may be able to offer further assistance.

Simmer911
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Chelsea, AL
reply to gthmpsn

I had the same experience with Vonage. I bought the TA from Circuit City and had it all set up...just to learn there are no area codes available for me. On the other hand Packet8 and CallVantage both had area codes in my area. I ended up going with CallVantage. Why Vonage has so little area codes compared to other services puzzles me..
--
»www.talkaboutvoip.com

gthmpsn

@ftnfinancial.com
reply to gthmpsn

In the Memphis TN area

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA
reply to Simmer911

"Why Vonage has so little area codes compared to other services puzzles me.."

It could be since they're leading the pack with new customer sign-ups, that they run out quicker than the rest.

Some area codes in certain metropolitan areas (especially the 212), are hard to get. They may get a handful once in a while, so what you need to do is regulary check and grab one while it's there. They had some New York 212's a couple of months ago posted, but were out within a few days.

tcpip_rat

join:2002-07-11
USA
reply to gthmpsn

I ran into the same thing when I was signing up with Vonage via the web. So I called my subscription in and they actually did have numbers for my area code even though the website said they didn't. Try calling (866)243-4357, its worth a shot if you haven't already. I am glad I did.

Premium
join:2001-01-19
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to gthmpsn

This is not a move by Bellsouth or any other damned LEC to corner the market on numbers to make VOIP carriers look bad. Either the VOIP carrier or who-ever they get their numbers from has to request blocks from NANPA(North American Numbering Plan Administration), there are varying regulations on who gets how many blocks and how many blocks you are allowed to sit on. Feel free to browse www.nanpa.com and you can see the situation in your area code. If an area code is in jeopardy it may be tougher to get NXX's because NANPA will delay the usage of new area codes as long as possible or through strict conservation means stop an area code change.
--
RIP Dimebag- August 20, 1966 to December 8th, 2004.

odnc
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Richmond, VA
reply to gthmpsn

remember their are a lot of countries the use the north american number plan.
--
This country needs an enema.

Premium
join:2001-01-19
Atlanta, GA
reply to gthmpsn

The territories do not consume that many area codes, nor do they have anything to do with NXX allotments in current area codes.
--
RIP Dimebag- August 20, 1966 to December 8th, 2004.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to gthmpsn

Looks like VoicePulse has two exchanges in MEMPHIS,TN:

901 MEMPHIS (GERMANTOWN) *ON ORDER*
901 MEMPHIS (MEMPHIS)
--
FWD#297248