Test99
Premium Member
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA

Test99 to craigsn

Premium Member

to craigsn

Re: Skype is nothing but hype...

In my experience, MSN Messenger's audio is barely tolerable and the video is just a sequence of still images. And there are frequent disconnects. Communication via MSN Messenger feels like hard labor.

It's puzzling that our experiences with MSN Messenger and Skype are radically different. Any ideas?
craigsn
join:2004-08-16
Kent, WA

craigsn

I don't really have a clue why it doesn't work as well for you, unless maybe you have a low speed internet connection. I've had cable (3mbs) & now DSL (1.5mbs) and for those speeds MSN has worked fine.

What surprises me is that Skype doesn't work for me as well as it does others.

Anyone else have ideas on this?

Craig

vonsen
Just Because
Premium Member
join:2005-01-06

vonsen to Test99

Premium Member

to Test99
Not sure how the poster managed to get good results with MSN messenger. I have demonstrated skype and MSN side by side at dozens of different corporate sites and would have noticed if messenger even approached skype's clarity once.
ceocio
join:2004-04-16
Columbus, OH

ceocio to craigsn

to craigsn
Your connection is fine. Did you try another computer? Skype audio quality suffers greatly if the cpu is not powerful enough. Also while skype works well with firewall, it does so by relaying the stream via other nodes, which would cause bad voice qualitiy and delay...
said by craigsn:

What surprises me is that Skype doesn't work for me as well as it does others.

Anyone else have ideas on this?

Craig

voiplover
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH

1 edit

voiplover

Premium Member

wrong reply, my goof!

Edit: Further down.
ceocio
join:2004-04-16
Columbus, OH

ceocio

Re: Wrong and misleading topic headings!

calm down....It's just the origianl poster's opinion.There's nothing wrong or misleading about that..Some ppl hate skype while others love it. Neither side is wrong or misleading by posting their opinions. Meanwhile, can you edit your post in response to the OP, instead of mine? but it's ok if you can't edit it, I won't call it "wrong" or "misleading" follow up.
craigsn
Kent, WA

craigsn to ceocio

to ceocio

Re: Skype is nothing but hype...

I have an AMD Athlon 2500+ w/ 1gb ram, separate sound card (can't remember the brand, but a middle of the road one), and it works fine, running Win XP Pro SP2.

I've got Skype on a Mac Dual Proc G5 as well. I guess I'll try it from there and see how it works, but since that isn't my main machine, I don't use it often.

Craig
juanfermin
join:2004-10-18
Pompano Beach, FL

juanfermin to craigsn

to craigsn
You must be joking about MSN being better quality.. let's see communications that go through MS servers, VS communications that go direct from my computer to the person who I'm calling. Which do you think would be better?
craigsn
Kent, WA

craigsn

Well, it is for me. Maybe not you though.