All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
SCCutler
join:2001-02-22
Dallas, TX

SCCutler

Extended Range Connection

My nephew lives in a dorm adjacent to his college campus. On campus, they have WiFi access. So he has been connecting by taping a cheap USB WiFi adapter to the railing on his balcony, and connecting to it through a USB extension.

But signal quality is marginal, so we would like to be able to use something to which we can connect a directional antenna, and to which we can then connect one or more computers via ethernet cables. Suggestions?

Possible permutations:

1. The campus network requires a log-in, so I am uncertain what he has to do- use a wireless bridge? Does this preclude having a router to distribute the 'net to multple boxes in his room?

2. What if he were able to use the directional antenna to connect to a node of the city's free wireless?

3. How about being able to secure the connection to the network, then "redistribute" it wirelessly in his room, such that he can use his laptop wireless?

4. ...use a Vonage or other VOIP box through the same connection?

My knowledge of the technology is adequate to know it can be done, but wholly inadequate to understand how.

Help? Thanks!

ridebud
Challenge Accepted
join:2003-12-06
usa

1 edit

ridebud

I put a USB dongle in a coffee can, it more than doubles the signal strength in my case.

I just followed the instructions for a circular waveguide for the placment of the dongle inside the can.

There is also a web site showing amny different variations of USB WiFi adapters used with reflectors at: »www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

Once the connection is made, one could use ICS (windows) to share the connection with other PCs.

SCCutler
join:2001-02-22
Dallas, TX

SCCutler

That's a great concept- but what about being able to do something without using ICS (which, given the gardware available, is not a likely scenario)?

Thanks again in advance...

ridebud
Challenge Accepted
join:2003-12-06
usa

ridebud to SCCutler

to SCCutler
It would depend on what type of authentication this campus network uses. Securing his own LAN side is easy enough, but security after it goes out is out of his control. Too many variables for me to specualte what the best actions would be.

One possibly could use a bridge and a router back-to-back and make it work. But without more information on the netowrk topolgy, it is only going to be a guess whether it will work or not.

g
vincentfox
join:2003-03-18
Davis, CA

vincentfox to SCCutler

to SCCutler
There are commercial products like the Hawking Technology HWU54D which integrates a 6 dBi panel antenna into the radio. So he could put that in a weatherproof container and get a better signal.

Can't see any particular reason you couldn't do VoIP but it'd have to be an all software solution I think.

There are ways to do wireless AP client mode with router units like the WRT54GS but if the campus network requires you to hit a web page and provide username/password that won't work. Well I suppose you could make it work with enough effot but it'd need some programming.

But I have to say that, working at a University, the staff will likely take a *dim* view of someone off-campus picking up the signal and the rebroadcasting it. The reasons for this should be obvious. If someone wardrives onto your home network and launches a denial-of-service attack, it will seem to be coming through the student's account. They will summarily shut-down all access for that person and sort out the damage later. I wouldn't recommend doing this just to save a few dollars. You may think to just rebroadcast in one room but in the same way he is tapping into campus network, some neighbor can point a cantenna your way and well.....