spc
uniqs
The sparrow4
join:2003-04-04
Denmark

The sparrow4 to eburger68

to eburger68

Re: ASW Vendors in La-La Land

News from Lavasoft-Forum. Does anybody know what that means?
best
The Sparrow

Hi all,

First and foremost, Lavasoft does not have collaborations with any company that has or will have content detected by Ad-Aware. WhenU was indeed removed from our database by research in the last definition file. This was due to WhenU not scoring more than 2 TAC points at the time. In case it turns out that the removal was incorrect, WhenU will naturally be reintroduced to the database.

Thanks Chris Fry
www.lavasoft.de
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

psloss

Premium Member

said by The sparrow4:

News from Lavasoft-Forum. Does anybody know what that means?
best
The Sparrow

Hi all,

First and foremost, Lavasoft does not have collaborations with any company that has or will have content detected by Ad-Aware. WhenU was indeed removed from our database by research in the last definition file. This was due to WhenU not scoring more than 2 TAC points at the time. In case it turns out that the removal was incorrect, WhenU will naturally be reintroduced to the database.

Thanks Chris Fry
www.lavasoft.de
Here's what I find on TAC:
»www.lavasoft.de/ms/tac.shtml

Guess we'd need to test this with a different bundle than the BearShare one...

Couple of questions: first, anybody got a quick pointer to something else that bundles WhenU besides BearShare?

And second, if this "TAC score" is based on how WhenU is bundled with BearShare, does Ad-Aware detect and indicate this in the software?

(Actually, I guess we'd have to find out from Lavasoft if their change is based on the BearShare installer or some other change in WhenU.)

Thanks,

Philip Sloss

SirSteve
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Woodbury, CT

1 edit

SirSteve

Premium Member

Lavasoft's TAC (Threat Assessment Chart):

»www.lavasoftnews.com/ms/ ··· in.shtml

StraitShoot
Who Loves Ya Baby? - Theo Kojak
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Clinton, MA

2 edits

1 recommendation

StraitShoot to The sparrow4

Premium Member

to The sparrow4
said by The sparrow4:

First and foremost, Lavasoft does not have collaborations with any company that has or will have content detected by Ad-Aware.
Why should we believe THAT statement, when trust is already out the window?
said by The sparrow4:

WhenU was indeed removed from our database by research in the last definition file.
That statement ALONE pretty much says it all...
said by The sparrow4:

This was due to WhenU not scoring more than 2 TAC points at the time. In case it turns out that the removal was incorrect, WhenU will naturally be reintroduced to the database.
Thanks Chris Fry
www.lavasoft.de
Well, according to Straitshoot's "H&IISP" Test (Hoenesty & Integrity in Spyware programs...), Lavasoft failed miserably, and Adaware will be swiftly and FOREVER removed from my home system today...
Bye Lavasoft!

Ben Cisco
Embrace Intellect
Premium Member
join:2001-12-13
Wormhole

Ben Cisco

Premium Member

After reading this thread and Lavasoft's response, I have uninstalled Ad-Aware from my home systems and will instruct my clients to do the same...there is simply no other viable option.