uniqs
share rss forum feed

KCB_PDX
World Gone Wild
Premium
join:2003-07-09
Scappoose, OR

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Overclocking

I have the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard with an Intel 3.2 Ghz processor. I'm running a pair of 512 MB Corsair XMS DDR PC-3200 C2 modules in dual channel mode with a pair of Raptors. A Zalman CNPS7000A-CU Pure Copper CPU heatsink that has been finely lapped and installed with Arctic Silver 5 is in use. The video card in the system is an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

I have not been able to overclock this setup by more then 10%. Once I attempt to go into a 15% overclock, it will not boot and I need to go into my BIOS settings and lower the OC value.

I've ordered a matched pair of 512 MB OCZ DDR PC-4400 Platinum series modules hoping I will be able to crank up the speed. First, I'd like to know if the OCZ DDR Booster product has any advantage in this type of setup? They claim it delivers cleaner power to the memory modules. Has this been tested by anyone here and does it offer any performance increase or stability?

»www.ocztechnology.com/products/m···platinum

An OCZ 520W PowerStream Power Supply was ordered to upgrade my current power supply. It allows for fine adjustments to the voltage supplied to the motherboard. Secondly, with the aforementioned power supply, will I still have to perform the VDIMM modification to the motherboard to get the best performance?

»www.ocztechnology.com/products/p···r_supply

Lastly, is it that I need to get away from the default OC settings in the BIOS and venture into individual settings for the timing?
--
"The City That Works" - slogan for the City of Portland

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

1 edit

Looks like your on the right track with the new mem and powersupply on order. Instead of overclocking by percentage I'd change to manual. Max out your vdimm voltage (2.85), manually set your ram timings accordingly. I think when you overclock using the percentage system it keeps your ram in spec (1:1) and your probley pushing those pc3200 sticks too hard. You could try 5:4 or 3:2 and see if that gets your anywhere. You may also need to increase your vcore, I myself wouldn't exceed 1.7v on air cooling. Also make sure you keep your pci/agp bus in spec and lock it at 66/33.
--
/dev/null

Loose Wire
Here, Hold My Beer And Watch This
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Denver, CO

2 edits
reply to KCB_PDX

The Corsair C2's are at best only good for a 10% OC.

Don't know if you have the Northwoods or Prescott 3.2, but in all likelihood, your max OC on it will be between 3.5 and 3.7 on air.

Your 3.2 has a 16 multiplier. 3.7/16=231 max capable RAM speed (on a 1:1 divider) will be 231Mhz or 462DDR.

Presumably, you got the Platinum 4200 since OCZ doesn't make a Platinum 4400. It's overkill for the 3.2 since it will run up to at least 267Mhz. You would have been fine with the Platinum 3700 at 238Mhz and probably gotten better timings to boot.

Having said that, the 4200 will work of course.

Forget the DDR Booster. It's main purpose is for the Gold VX which can take (needs) up to 3.5 volts, which most MB's can't supply on their own.

Use manual OC settings. Set your vdimm voltage to 2.75 (as recommended) and start with that. Work your FSB from 200 up in 5 increments. The Platinums use Samsung TCCD chips which don't necessarily like "a lot" of voltage. In other words, it may not run any better with more then 2.75 to 2.85 volts.

Save the CPU voltage increase until the last step once you know where the CPU max's out at stock voltage.

You don't want to be changing too many things at once, or you may not know what works and or doesn't work.

Download and install MemTest86 to a floppy and boot to that after making your OC changes (rather then WinXP). Run the test for at least 5 passes to see if you get any errors. If not, increase your OC a little more, etc, until you start getting errors, then back off a bit. Then run the test overnight.

»www.memtest.org/

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

1 edit
reply to KCB_PDX

Memtest may error out where as it may be totally 3d stable. I like to loop 3dmark or pi instead. Also giving your sticks 2.85v to start will not hurt a thing and will save time in tinkering.
--
/dev/null

KCB_PDX
World Gone Wild
Premium
Scappoose, OR

2 edits
reply to Loose Wire

Here is a screen shot of the CPUID info. With a 100% load in the 10% OC state, my CPU temp is about 47 C.

Thanks to all for the advice.

edit: You are correct about the OCZ 4200 modules.

--

KCB_PDX
World Gone Wild
Premium
Scappoose, OR
reply to Loose Wire

Memory Read

Memory Write
Loose Wire, can you tell me why my memory is so slow against slower processors and memory?

I have installed the OCZ 4200 Platinum sticks. The system is still running in the 10% OC state without any manual adjustments. I would've thought an immediate increase in speed would be noticable.

The screen shots are benchmarks from AIDA.
--

NutCase4
Mad Overclocker
Premium
join:2001-12-10
Livermore, CA

said by KCB_PDX:

Loose Wire, can you tell me why my memory is so slow against slower processors and memory?

I have installed the OCZ 4200 Platinum sticks. The system is still running in the 10% OC state without any manual adjustments. I would've thought an immediate increase in speed would be noticable.

The screen shots are benchmarks from AIDA.
to be running that slow, you are running in single channel mode. make sure your ram is install in Dimm slots 1 and 3 (the 2 blue dimm slots)

you should see a huge increase after that..

Margolis
Premium
join:2003-11-24
Saint Louis, MO
reply to KCB_PDX

Follow what Loose Wire said. Do not use the ai overclocking feature. Do everything manually and you should get much better results.

And as NutCase pointed out, look at your memory tab in cpuz. Your memory may be running single channel and also at a 5:4 ratio with the ai overclocking. Follow his advice to cure the single channel problem.

Loose Wire
Premium
Denver, CO
reply to KCB_PDX

I forgot to mention, set "USB Legacy Support" to disabled in the BIOS before you run MemTest, as when "enabled" it'll cause false errors on the test and you'll really be pulling your hairs out!

KCB_PDX
World Gone Wild
Premium
Scappoose, OR
reply to NutCase4

Memory
Hmmm, it is running in dual channel when it gives me the low memory read/write stats. I'll go in and make the manual adjustments to speed it up.
--

Loose Wire
Premium
Denver, CO

The Auto OC put it into 3:2 divider (see your screen shot). That's the problem.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to KCB_PDX

I have the same board, except mine is the 3.0 northwood.
The most I can get out of it with my very old pc2100 is about 3.5
Its unstable at that speed when doing anything that requires to much memory.
I find so far, that 3.4 for me works perfectly. Only problem is the slow pc2100 ram I still use. [2x256MB no-brands(maybe 1 is a brand name the other isnt)]

Anyway, could someone point out to me what kind of memory I could get for either 2x256 or 2x512 that would allow my to OC the most on this board with 1:1 or 5:4 atleast please.

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to KCB_PDX

My memory is even worse, yet ofcourse yours is so much newer/faster..
Read
Write

Could some of you be willing to send me links of some ram I could get for my board that will allow me to OC to lets say 4ghz at 1:1
pc-4000 I know can do this just to begin with, but I see there is DDR1 and DDR2 and I dont know if any of this would even work with my board.[remember I have the same board as KCB_PDX]
Thank you.

Alnero

join:2001-02-15
Mount Vernon, WA

said by RolteC:

Could some of you be willing to send me links of some ram I could get for my board that will allow me to OC to lets say 4ghz at 1:1
pc-4000 I know can do this just to begin with, but I see there is DDR1 and DDR2 and I dont know if any of this would even work with my board.[remember I have the same board as KCB_PDX]
Thank you.
don't even think about DDR2, your board doesn't support it, half of your problem with memory on your system is being single channel, do you have your current chips in the blue slots only or the black slots only? you have to put pairs in the same color slot to get DCDDR, try it, it can't hurt.

Then you have to look into the future, DDR2 is going to be the next thing, your board doesn't support it, so your next upgrade you should look for it, honestly, how long do you think your old socket that's already been replaced is going to last you? get a cheap pair of matched 3200 if you can, and start saving, save for a new MOBO, CPU, DDR2, and video card..... cause when you make that jump, you're going to need it all... the current P4 socket won't take your current cpu, and the new MOBOs have DDR2 AND PCIeXpress, you'll want both when you upgrade.
--
This page intentionally left blank.

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to KCB_PDX

Cool, thanks for the information.
Yeah I checked, there both in the blue slots.

I could force it into dual channel from bios I think..... I will try that...

Anyway, like I was saying, I just got this computer..... with a geforce 4/40GB hdd.... I guess it was worth the $200~ I spent on it all.

And I can not afford anything else really unless its absolutely needed. But im just trying to find out about the memory and overclocking even further to get my moneys worth. As for pc-3200. They will be running at stock at a 1:1 with my cpu at 3.0 But to achieve 4.0ghz i would have to have the memory run at 267mhz. I believe only the pc4000 would be able to do this without a problem thats all.

My question would be if there is any pc4000 that would be backward compatible with my motherboard.

In a few months or years I will buy a new system with pci-e and ddr2 and blah blah. But for now I just want to enjoy great speeds on application load times and this and that. I dont really play all those new games so a new video card isnt of great importance to me yet.

Alnero

Mount Vernon, WA

Click for full size
said by RolteC:

And I can not afford anything else really unless its absolutely needed. But im just trying to find out about the memory and overclocking even further to get my moneys worth. As for pc-3200. They will be running at stock at a 1:1 with my cpu at 3.0 But to achieve 4.0ghz i would have to have the memory run at 267mhz. I believe only the pc4000 would be able to do this without a problem thats all.

My question would be if there is any pc4000 that would be backward compatible with my motherboard.
check this out if I can do this w/ PC2700, I think you could do better w/ PC3200, but if you want to spend the extra $$ on memory that you can't take to your next platform, that's fine by me...
--

Margolis
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to RolteC

said by RolteC:

As for pc-3200. They will be running at stock at a 1:1 with my cpu at 3.0 But to achieve 4.0ghz i would have to have the memory run at 267mhz. I believe only the pc4000 would be able to do this without a problem thats all.

just about any pc3200/pc3500/pc3700/pc4000/pc4200 will be compatible with the board. But I wouldn't waste the money on the pc4000. What I would recommend is some good low latency pc3200. With the p4p800 you will probably end up with the memory running at 5:4 ratio anyway. The i865chipset p4p800 isn't exactly known for running 1:1 at high overclocks. Mine wouldn't go over about 217mhz fsb 1:1 with any memory at all. It runs fine at faster speeds, the memory speed just has to be kept down.

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to KCB_PDX

Hmmm alright then thanks. Your right it would be a waste of money to buy parts that I will no longer be able to use on upcoming platforms.

To enable dual channel, I believe its the Performance mode option in your bios for your memory.

I was told by a friend that my pc2100 is so old that It wouldnt support dual channel. Is this true? Until then i wont be attempting any forced change to dual channel support.

Alnero

Mount Vernon, WA

said by RolteC:

I was told by a friend that my pc2100 is so old that It wouldnt support dual channel. Is this true? Until then i wont be attempting any forced change to dual channel support.
I could be wrong, but I believe that Dual Channel is based on having matched DIMMS, not based on their speed, I "think" your friend is wrong, but I could be the one, I've never heard that dual channel requires fast memory, just matched memory.....

if your memory is matched pair, there's no reason in my mind that it shouldn't work, just not as fast as possible
--

mdearth

@stlsmo.swbell.ne

P4C800-E Deluxe with a 512L2 2.4 CPU, 2-512RAm, ATI9800Pro Card.

Have had it for a couple years now an have been very happy with it. Never botherd OC'ing anything. Recently I starting messing with cooling and OC'ing...

Scores Generated From 3DMark5 run 2 times back to back. CPU & RAM number are F Temps.

Original Config
Idle: CPU=89 RAM=86 Fan=1885
w/Load: CPU=125 RAM=89 Fan=2163
Scores: 2308 - 2322

New CPU Heat Sink/Fan
Idle: CPU=86 RAM=86 Fan=1824
w/Load: CPU=113 RAM=91 Fan=1824
Scores: 2326 - 2314

New GPU Heatsink/Fan & RAM Heatsinks & 92mm Side Case Fan On VGA & MB
Idle: CPU=77 RAM=78
w/Load: CPU=104 RAM=80
Scores: 2307 - 2294

Over Clocked VGA Core & RAM by 10%
Scores: 2500 - 2461

Added CPU Cold Air Tube
Idle: CPU=77 RAM=78
w/Load: CPU=100 RAM=78
Scores: 2513 - 2506

Enabeled Performance Acceleration Mode & Turbo Mode, No OC 2.4G (room temp seemed colder)
w/Load: CPU=98 RAM=75
Scores: 2616 - 2615

Over Clock MB by 5% 2.5G
w/Load: CPU=100 RAM=77
Scores: 2557

Over Clock MB by 10% 2.6G
w/Load: CPU=100 RAM=77
Scores: 2416

Over Clock MB by 20% 2.9G
w/Load: CPU=111 RAM=78
Scores: 2462

Over Clock MB by 30% 3.1G
w/Load: CPU=111 RAM=77
Scores: System Crashed During Benchmark

Everything was going fine until I started overclocking with AI. Was suprised it was stable at 20%. Why did my 3DMark5 Scores drop when I AI Overclocked by percentage?

Margolis
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to KCB_PDX

It has been said several times in this thread what happens when you use the ai overclocker(hint:slower memory). If you want to overclock, you have to do it manually.

Alnero

Mount Vernon, WA

said by Margolis:

It has been said several times in this thread what happens when you use the ai overclocker(hint:slower memory). If you want to overclock, you have to do it manually.
Yeah, I've got one of these "AI" boards (mine is the P5P800), and even though it's got it, I wouldn't use the AI overclocking, simply because I like to know EXACTLY what's going on, I up the speed 5MHz and test, up another 5, test, and so on, and when it becomes unstable, I back it off, and to more intensive testing, if it fails again, I'll back off a little more till I'm stable....
--

KCB_PDX
World Gone Wild
Premium
Scappoose, OR
reply to KCB_PDX

What am I doing wrong? The memory is not performing like it should. I've taken the system out of AI 10% OC. The vcore has been set to 1.7. I've locked PCI/AGP at 66/33 and set the vdimm voltage to 2.85.

My RAM is reading 146.7 MHz, FSB-DRAM is 3:2, CAS latency is 2.5 clocks, RAS to CAS delay is 4 clocks, RAS precharge is 4 clocks and the cycle time (Tras) is 8 clocks.

The core speed is 3519.6 (equal to a 10% OC) on a multiplier of 16. The FSB is running at 220.0 MHz and the BUS speed is 880 MHz.

The memory read is 3077 MB/s and the memory write is 982 MB/s.

What is the AGP VDDQ voltage setting?
--

NutCase4
Mad Overclocker
Premium
Livermore, CA
reply to KCB_PDX

set your FSB-Dram ratio to 1:1.

KCB_PDX
World Gone Wild
Premium
Scappoose, OR

I'm new to this manual overclocking. I didn't see a setting to allow this. Can you point me in the right direction?
--

NutCase4
Mad Overclocker
Premium
Livermore, CA

said by KCB_PDX:

I'm new to this manual overclocking. I didn't see a setting to allow this. Can you point me in the right direction?
In your Bios, Under Jumperfree configuration. Look for Dram frequency and set it to 400 Mhz.

KCB_PDX
World Gone Wild
Premium
Scappoose, OR

1 edit

Great, thanks. I'll go give it a try.

Well, this is much better. The CPU is running at 3.6 GHz and the memory read is 4402 MB/s and memory write is 1497 MB/s.

Thanks for your help.

mdearth

@65.123.x.x
reply to KCB_PDX

Im, with ya in that I also still haveing problems...

P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.4G HT
2 Corsair Value Select 512M 2.5c
9800Pro 128M OC'd 10% (solid)
3DMark5 score of 2616

OCing by AI (as I said before) did not work. It ran stable but my 3DMark5 scores were droping. Took your advice and did it manually using MemTest86 to find an error free frequency.

Settings...
Performance Accelateron Mode - Enabeled
DRAM timing by SBD - Enabeled 2.5-3-3-8
Overclock Tuner - Standard
Performance Mode - Turbo
*With this I get a score of 2616

Settings Changed...
Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU External Freq - 200 changed to 210. 210 stable on memtest86. 211 kept dropping RAM to DDR160 or so.
RAM Voltage - tried Auto, 1.7, and 1.8
*All other setting left as is and test scores droped to 2530.

WHY IS THIS LITTLE 5% STALBE OC DROPPING MY 3DMark5 SCORES? IT SHOULD BE IMPROVING THEM... ARGGG

Margolis
Premium
Saint Louis, MO

said by mdearth:

WHY IS THIS LITTLE 5% STALBE OC DROPPING MY 3DMark5 SCORES? IT SHOULD BE IMPROVING THEM... ARGGG
read NutCase's response right above you about dram frequency.

mdearth

@65.123.x.x

I thought thats what you were going to say but wasnt sure i needed that since memtest was reporting it at DDR420. It made sence that KCB_PDX needed that because his was dropping away from 400Mhz. I guess memtest showed it at 420 but XP probably droped it. Will try it tonight.

If this yealds score improvement I hope to push it further to get 220Mhz. Others have reported Corsair PC3200 VS RAM stable at 222Mhz.