how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OolOhnoes

@optonline.net

Is Ool Throttling connections now?

I'm not getting any packet loss and my signals are good
but when leeching through usenet I'll get my max speeds (1142 kb/s)
then 10 minutes later it's a steady 300kb/s so I then decided to check if it was my usenet provider
I did a speed test and got horrible results I also tried the Ool ftp test and I got the same results what's going on here?

On another note: I stopped any transfers I was using and let it go for 30 minutes and then the speeds returned then they went slow after 10 minutes..

blacknoi

join:2004-11-06
Stanhope, NJ

Well, if you "rest" your connection and try again later and the speed comes back, you definitely are NOT capped.....

Using a router? Maybe its that.... Node saturation in your area? Maybe some else more qualified wants to chime in.

BTW, what usenet are you using? Easynews or something... I'm looking into something better than the default crappy optonline news server.

OolOhNoes

@optonline.net

Been using a router for ages and always had a stable connection and always achieved max speeds, as far as node saturation I'm not sure but I know this is not a busy area for CV

And I use Giganews

JoshNJ
Premium
join:2001-12-25
Freehold, NJ

just because you never had a problem before doesn't mean it isnt your router, remove the router and reboot the modem
--
I support the RIAA

al-22

@optonline.net
reply to OolOhnoes

Not sure if OOL is throttling, but I'm having the same issues. My guess is they are having bandwidth problems in general. Hopefully they can fix it...

JoshNJ
Premium
Freehold, NJ

said by al-22:

My guess is they are having bandwidth problems in general.
Did you actually do any troubleshooting, or are you just guessing first?
--
I support the RIAA

RaZoR999

join:2003-02-04
Floral Park, NY

yeah.. ive been getting inconsistent speeds lately, my uploads would go up from 900, then down to like 25 =/.. and it would take toll on my DL speed

DrDemonic

join:2003-02-25
Yonkers, NY
reply to OolOhnoes

me too, my upload is now down to 25k - tranfer rate of liek 6kb a sec. WTF is going on?

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to JoshNJ

said by JoshNJ:

said by al-22:

My guess is they are having bandwidth problems in general.
Did you actually do any troubleshooting, or are you just guessing first?
This has been posted in several topics here and the outcome has been that OOL is having throughput issues at times throughout the network, depending on the time of day or night.

Read the posts from people in NJ having download speed issues, and you will see that not only is NJ having problems, but at nearly the same times, LI is ALSO having similar speed issues.

This leads one to conclude that OOL is having bandwidth issues system-wide. (Though they will not admit it)

Customdude

join:2002-02-05
Brooklyn, NY

3 edits

Same thing here. I was just d/ling at 1100+KBs. Checked back and my max, no matter where I d/l from or speedtest at, my max is a steady 345KBs. Atleast it wasn't just me, so I guess the system is getting taxed as more ppl get home from work (post 6'oclock)

EDIT: Now ten minutes later I'm back up to 1100KBs

Go figure. Atleast they're not capping me for no reason.

EDIT: lol Now ten minutes later back down again.

numb33223

@optonline.net
reply to OolOhnoes

same thing here. capped at around 365KB/s

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Customdude

said by Customdude:

Same thing here. I was just d/ling at 1100+KBs. Checked back and my max, no matter where I d/l from or speedtest at, my max is a steady 345KBs. Atleast it wasn't just me, so I guess the system is getting taxed as more ppl get home from work (post 6'oclock)

EDIT: Now ten minutes later I'm back up to 1100KBs

Go figure. Atleast they're not capping me for no reason.

EDIT: lol Now ten minutes later back down again.
10 minutes seems to be the magic number for most folks, the speed decreases and increases seem to go in 10 minute invervals...

OolOhNoese

@optonline.net
reply to JoshNJ

quote:
just because you never had a problem before doesn't mean it isnt your router, remove the router and reboot the modem
Did that about ten times before I even posted
I've been around these forums for a while I have even tried out another router
It seems I'm not alone in the issue judging by the posts above this one

wkenduser

join:2005-02-14
New Hyde Park, NY
reply to OolOhnoes

350KB/s Verizon DSL speed is what OOL would guarantee to you nowaday. I've been having this 10 minutes burst of 1000KB/s excitement for more than 2 months now. believe me I HAD tried everything... The way I look at it that relatively consistent 1000KB/s connection day from OOL is painfully over and that 350KB/s eye sore on my lower left screen corner makes the FIOS down the road even more attractively satisfying everyday.

Emre6

join:2002-12-10
reply to OolOhnoes

This was posted by jimboe on newzbin forums.. I'm to lazy to type my own.. but I get the exact same problem

Im really frustrated and baffled by this prb. It goes like this.

Optimum Online (10/1 Mbps), normally fills pipe to 9.2Mbps or so on Newshosting's "unlimited" plan.

NBPro - 4 connections.
Typical DVD w/50meg parts.

Several files come in fine, then after 10-15 minutes or so of d/l'ing, one of the threads (NBpro) will start to "crawl", but not die, dropping throughput to 7-8Mbps (from 9+).

Sometimes then another will do the same (dropping to 5Mbps or so), and even a 3rd..

Once the file in an "affected" thread finishes and a new one begins, that thread resumes full-speed-- or-- I can kill the thread immediately forcing a new file to be pulled in and regain the speed (then re-add the previously killed file back into the dl list).

Obvioiusly a major PITA if I want to leave d/l's unattended.

I tried using alternate ports to see if that would alleviate the prob (to confirm whether a port throttle on Cablevision's part was taking place)... No dice there either, still had probs..

Also happens with NZB-O-Matic client...

NSP says no known issues w/them at present, that if there was, theyd've proly heard about something like that...

Maybe Cablevision, but I'd think it'd be difficult to write a complex rule into a router such as that, since not all the threads slow down... sometimes only one.. sometimes 2 or three... rarely, none at all tho..The consequences are that when leaving d/l's unattended I may come back to a newsreader that has been d/l'ing at an average rate of 4-5Mbps instead 9+, which means something on a 20G d/l.

Has anyone ever heard of/experiencing anything like this?

Emre6

join:2002-12-10
reply to OolOhnoes

»forum.newzbin.com/viewtopic.php?t=3784

here is the thread that was taken from

OolOhnoes

@optonline.net
reply to OolOhnoes

My issue has seem to be fixed
steady since yesterday afternoon

OolOhnoes

@optonline.net
reply to OolOhnoes

Spoke too soon

elamericano

@optonline.net
reply to OolOhnoes

I don't know what ool is doing, but something is going on, maybe they are throttling down on Port 119, (i.e. News), maybe its a problem they are having and don't want anyone to know, don't know, don't care, just want my service back, I thought it might have been my news provider, but from a diferent a Isp, I was hovering around 12mbit, so its definitely ool, For the speeds I'm getting now, why keep ool at 2.75 mbps for 50 bucks a month, might as well have dsl for 30.
Im so switching to FIOS now

ShowNoMercy
Bush Th3 F0ck3r

join:2005-02-24
Bronx, NY

we need confirmation people

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to elamericano

after reading this thread here... »OOL Throttling D/L's NOW (Dirty New Tactic)
i too have experienced the slowdown to 2.5MB after approx 10 minutes full maximum download speed from 3 usenet server connections, it affects the connection as a whole.
it appears to go away after about 30-60 minutes after you stop downloading.
i have been seeing this specific to my modem, although its not showing up in its config file as throttled, a neighbor 2 blocks down on the same gateway as me reports no slowdown when i am experiencing one.
it seems to me the throttle is ip specific, cycling the modem with a different ip address resolves the problem instantly.
i thought i was going insane until someone posted the near exact situation i am experiencing.
--
S.C.P.D. live scanner feed

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to OolOhnoes

Click for full size
no problems so far
here's bandwidth log of downloading all files from »ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/···so/i386/
graph that you see is from about 15minutes, so far no throttling.
i'll post another update when all 6 files(3.6gigs) is done downloading.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: Signature can not exceed 20GB]

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

2 edits
reply to OolOhnoes

Click for full size
no problems..
here's result after downloading all 6 files

[17:27:24] Transfer queue completed
[17:27:24] Transferred 6 files totaling 3,614,834,688 bytes in 56 minutes 18 seconds (1,04 5.4 KB/s)

--

ooluser

@optonline.net
reply to OolOhnoes

Just wanted to chime in here. I'm having similar problems related to usenet, but I strongly believe it is just node saturation/heavy usage in the area. At night, my downloads have been fluctuating anywhere between 100 kbps to 600 kbps on a regular basis. However, when I download early in the morning (I've tested this between 6 am and 10 am) I get a consistent 800 Kbps to 1.05 Mbps. I'd be curious if the people who believe OOL is temporarily throttling them see similar results if they try their connection during off-peak hours.

streetwolf

join:2002-02-22
Marlboro, NJ
reply to OolOhnoes

ooluser

I too had PM download speed problems back in Dec/Jan. I experienced the same abysmal speeds as you do. It was caused by bandwidth saturation I was told.

After contacting E88 about my problem my situation was resolved. It took about 4 weeks to fix due in part to the holiday season. I think the 'fix' was moving me to a different CMTS.

blankensop

join:2002-09-16
Wayne, NJ
reply to OolOhnoes

I don't use Usenet... but that hasn't stopped me from getting crappy speeds here in Wayne, NJ. Three days ago, I was consistently getting ~8800/950 in speedtests... Now I'm getting 2500-5000 down (upload seems unaffected).

goll

OOLhome

@mindspring.com

2 recommendations

reply to OolOhnoes

OOL Throttling D/L's NOW (Dirty New Tactic)

...continued in this thread as mandated..

said by NS4683:

I don't use newsgroups,
*blink*
Then genius, you cannot comment on the validity of MY OP within »OOL Throttling D/L's NOW (Dirty New Tactic)
Did you even bother to read the whole thing? Or at least the 1st sentence? Here, let me read aloud to you:
"...throttling the connections of users who download from any outside usenet premium ..."
but can this actually be confirmed? How do you know it's not your node being overloaded?
Repeating what you obviously could not read yourself:
"Who here has ever heard of, or can even imagine some type, any type of system malfunction, or failure, manifesting itself, in such a contrived, and precisely timed manner. Not to mention the fact that it affects only a CERTAIN TYPE of network traffic."
and,
"I'm sure you've already seen the some of the threads with complaints in them already."
Apparently, YOU have not.
I'm not buying it yet, especially since the person posting is from cable.mindspring.com
Oooooooooooooo.. Well done Sherlock! That is dead evidence there that someone could not POSSIBLY be an OOL sub.

Here's a clue junior. WHERE someone posts from is utterly irrelevant and I won't comment on red herring such as that again.
said by GeekNJ:

What about the news server provider? Aren't they involved in the equation yet not mentioned?
Who are the news service providers you use? Does it happen to multiple ones at the same time?
Your thread title is very accusatory yet you don't really have much in the way of specific proof.
Don't act so damn coy and patronizing. I've seen your postings and you appear to have some intellect but don't be such a blantant brown nose all the time.

It's plainly obvious that you read into just about every thread in this forum. You've read plenty of posts regarding this issue already and you know damn well it's happening across multiple NSP's and "regions".

Proof. Gimme a break. What do you want a video of the CV NE's actually playing with traffic shaping tools before you'll admit what seems apparent to everyone?

@JoshNJ: As usual, absolutely nothing of value to add at all. Go crawl back under your rock.
said by La Luna:

The bottom line is that only a few people are seeing this....the majority are not.
So, you are the be-all end-all authority huh? You have NO IDEA how many people are seeing this, and neither do I, but there certainly are enough that all should be concerned.

Naysayers READ THIS:
This ONLY affects people who PAY EXTRA for an outside NSP service! If you're unable to read even the 1st damned sentence of my OP, don't waste your time with useless comments. (And this has absolutely nothing to do with routers, so don't bother with that one)

Also, the port you use is of no consequence as I've tried alternates.. It is traffic shaping specifically targeted at usenet downloaders, and for me at least, began saturday, 2/26/2005 (late PM I believe I noted). Node saturation in no way explains the "timeliness" of these occurrances, not to mention the fact that it ONLY is TRIGGERED by USENET activity. All indications are of deliberate actions by CV. Disgraceful.

Additionally, note, this discussion has *no* business being in the "capping" thread either (as a few have suggessted) as that relates specifically to the upload cap.

I *URGE* ANYONE with outside usenet access to:
1) Read the OP (linked at top of this one)
2) Try yourself and report back.

I will repeat that if I am wrong I have no issues admitting to it but until this rather solid theorey is debunked, no *sensible* person can deny what many are seeing.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

bravo.
excellent post reply.

JoshNJ
Premium
Freehold, NJ

said by IllIlIlllIll:

bravo.
excellent post reply.
yet he still doesn't explain why all of his posts show him on mindspring cable
--
I support the RIAA

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to OOLhome

Also, the port you use is of no consequence as I've tried alternates
...blah blah blah blah...
not to mention the fact that it ONLY is TRIGGERED by USENET activity. All indications are of deliberate actions by CV. Disgraceful.
ah, yet another thread with accusations that OOL has some super duper filters that know to block only YOUR traffic specifically for a service YOU are using.
do you think that OOl is going to waste time/money/resources in setting up throttling filters for newsgroups.
they'll save more money by limiting web, ftp and irc dcc traffic.

ps. if you want to get any respect in this forum, start off by showing some respect.
1st step would be quit being anonymous coward and register for an account.
--