how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

beavxx

join:2000-11-09
Kenosha, WI

[TWC] Roadrunner DNS Addresses

anyone know of any know good dns address to change to on wi.rr.com? Since the upgrade in SE Wisconsin, my dns lookup time is too long. From browsing these forums, I have concluted that I need to change to another dns server. Please list some know address around or in my area. Thanks.

my current addresses are:

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-10
Baldwin, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I strongly recommend these three DNS servers, that belong to Level 3 Communications.

--
"Character is taught at home, but not by a purple dinosaur or big yello bird." - Jacob White

whathapp

@rr.com
reply to beavxx
i have a question about dns addresses, i leave the obtain IP automatically option on the router, should i leave it as is, or is there an advantage to changing the dns info, and if so, how do i go about it? btw i live in queens, ny

Dnepr

join:2001-11-28
Tarpon Springs, FL
reply to drake
works great!

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to beavxx
Odd. Since our upgrade here, our DNS has gone to crap too. Between 5 and 9 pm it is terrible.

I did a online chat with RR's helpdesk and they said they'd pass the info along.

Nocturnal01

join:2004-12-14
Honolulu, HI
reply to drake
Can anyone use those DNS servers? I have noticed a huge slow down around 4-10pm Mon-Fri here in Hawaii. I often cannot connect to web pages, it says cannot be displayed. After refreshing etc etc it eventually works. I am behind a router, if I changed it through the main tcp/ip properties, will this still work or do I have to change it in the router control panel?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to drake
said by drake:

I strongly recommend these three DNS servers, that belong to Level 3 Communications.

Where are these located? I sure don't want anything that is going through the crappy L3 routers in LA and SanJose. Those routers are killing my speed especially to speakeasy sfo which goes through both of the bad routers.

I don't think those DNS servers are any good for Hawaii. My Ping Plotter, after pinging the first two for over an hour, shows 15% packet loss on that bad L3 router in LA. Pings average 96ms whereas pings to the three local DNS servers at the Hawaii RDC average 22ms for me in Hilo on the Big Island and probably less on Oahu.

I don't think DNS resolution is the cause of our speed problems. It could be a small part but I doubt that is the main cause. Usually poor speed only during prime usage time (around 4PM to 11PM) is due to not enough bandwidth. A person above tier 3 in management at Oceanic assured me a few days ago that the network is capable of handling the new speeds and giving them on a consistent basis to everyone, but I don't buy that. I get just fine speed at 1-3AM and 1-4PM and earlier like 11AM if I am on the computer then. I also get the 404 errors during the prime usage time. I just stay here then rather than be irritated.

Nocturnal01 See Profile try this. My friend Konaguy See Profile swears by it.
»ntcanuck.com/
--
The first and foremost function of our jurors is to protect private citizens from a tyrannical and intrusive government...Jurors are the last line of defense for liberty. Thomas Jefferson 1789

q-bert

@rr.com
"I also get the 404 errors during the prime usage time..."

A 404 (page not found error) is generated by the webserver you are accessing. In other words, you were able to resolve the domain, reach it, connect to the webserver in question and that webserver returned the 404 error.

Why? Because the file you were trying to access DOES NOT EXIST. There is no possible way this could have anything to do with your ISP or your internet connection.

Cod

join:2000-07-05
Kernersville, NC
reply to drake
said by drake:

OMG, those work awesome compared to the auto assigned one's RR gave me. I'm in the Greensboro, NC (triad.rr.com) area FYI and was having big latency issues getting DNS addresses resolved. Changed to the above DNS addresses and they are extremely fast! I pinged them also and get an average of 30ms.

KMDonlon

join:2003-10-19
Raleigh, NC
Those are super fast for me here in Raleigh too....are they the absolute best choice for the Raleigh/Durham area??

Too cool!
--
Thanks, - Kevin

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to beavxx
I have gone with 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.5 here and surfing is fast again ! Very cool for sure.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to q-bert
said by q-bert:

A 404 (page not found error) is generated by the webserver you are accessing. In other words, you were able to resolve the domain, reach it, connect to the webserver in question and that webserver returned the 404 error.

Why? Because the file you were trying to access DOES NOT EXIST. There is no possible way this could have anything to do with your ISP or your internet connection.
You are wrong. If there are DNS issues and Hawaii RR has lots of them currently then you cannot reach sites that are there. You receive a 404 error. I cannot reach a site..not a specific file on a site. I can go on RR dialup and reach the site instantly. Go back on RR and 404 error. I use dialup a lot now because it is far more reliable than RR. I also don't get all the IE problems on dial up at this site that I do on RR since the speed upgrade which was actually a large downgrade.
--
The first and foremost function of our jurors is to protect private citizens from a tyrannical and intrusive government...Jurors are the last line of defense for liberty. Thomas Jefferson 1789

beavxx

Kenosha, WI
I have had no trouble with these DNS servers.

Thanks for the help, this worked great, I'm back to loading pages with lightning speed. 4.7Mps--Sweet.

Thanks again, you all have been helpfull as usual. I also switched to Firefox per another post.

beavxx

Kenosha, WI
reply to whathapp
I did not change any settings on my router, I left it to automatic. I changed the DNS only under my TC/IP Settings for only. Hope this helps

beavxx

Kenosha, WI

1 edit
reply to ke4pym
I had this problem all day everyday, after my wife complained enough, I went here and learned what to do thanks to the post of other users. I changed the DNS settings and bang, pages loaded faster than ever.

beavxx

Kenosha, WI
reply to Racerbob
Very fast for me too. I'm in SE Wisconsin

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to beavxx
5 12 ms 9 ms 9 ms pos0-0-nycmnyrdc-rtr2.nyc.rr.com [24.29.98.225]

6 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms pos6-0-nycmnyrdc-rtr1.nyc.rr.com [24.29.97.1]
7 9 ms 9 ms 12 ms so-8-1.car2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.78.166.77]
8 9 ms 16 ms 9 ms ge-2-0.core1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.68.97.8]
9 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net [4.2.2.1]

Very nice, I will try this.

I myself constantly get wwait times on getting DNS names.....
Sometimes up to 5 seconds, other times, it just times out and doesn't give me anything, its been happening for about 2 weeks now and its really annoying.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by q-bert:

You are wrong. If there are DNS issues and Hawaii RR has lots of them currently then you cannot reach sites that are there. You receive a 404 error. I cannot reach a site..not a specific file on a site. I can go on RR dialup and reach the site instantly. Go back on RR and 404 error. I use dialup a lot now because it is far more reliable than RR. I also don't get all the IE problems on dial up at this site that I do on RR since the speed upgrade which was actually a large downgrade.
q-bert is correct. The only way to get a 404 is for the server to not find the content you're looking for (which means your request reached the server). Perhaps your browser is generating a friendly error message? If you're not getting DNS resolution you will get a Network/DNS warning from the browser, NOT a 404.

whathapp

@rr.com
reply to beavxx
when changing the dns addresses, can it be done with the router settings? or do i change it through tcp/ip settings on each comp? and all the other settings(IP, subnet, gateway) are left as they previously were right?

jkwuc89

join:2003-08-20
Powell, OH
Wow! What a difference! My DNS lookups in Columbus, Ohio were quite slow especially during peak hours. I changed my Belkin router to use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.5 and the performance improvement is wonderful.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to ke4pym
No, I get a 404 error because the Proxomitron cannot FIND the site. I never make it to the site! Proxo tells me the site is either down or does NOT exist. That is a 404 error. That is a DNS problem which, as I said earlier, is rampant currently on Oceanic Time Warner Road Runner.

Obviously, if I can go on RR dialup and instantly get to the site in question and then switch the cable modem from standby to on and get the error "site is down or does not exist" on cable modem, I have a DNS issue on Road Runner cable but not on Road Runner dialup.
--

JE789

join:2005-02-01
Scottsville, NY
So where do we changes these? In the router or in the network connections? Need detailed instructions please!!

beavxx

Kenosha, WI

2 edits
Here is how I changed the settings.--WIN XP, close your browsers. I have shared this with many friends and co-workers, and seems to be solving a lot op problems.

Right click "my network places". select properties. Right click "local area connection" this will bring up the configuration utility for your network card="local area connection properties".

select "Internet proto call [TCP/IP]" and press the properties button.

At the lower half of the window, change from "obtain DNS Server address automatically" to "use the following DNS Server addresses"

Click the advanced button, select the DNS tab, and enter the server addresses. Many of us in this post are using the following:

Select OK, then OK, then close. Your DNS server settings have been changed. When your ISP resolves whatever issues they are having, go back to this window and select the automatic option if you wish. I hope this is of help to you and others who have had this problem.

To verify your changes, open a command prompt window and type: ipconfig /all

you will see the above mentioned changes. I don't think you need to reboot after this step. Good luck.

Many thanks to other posters who helped me get this solved.

JE789

join:2005-02-01
Scottsville, NY
I put the new DNS address in my router setup though my browser and it has helped alot. I will try your meathod as well. One thing I've noticed and was wondering about. I updated the firmware on my router, since I did that when I goto network connections I now have a "Internet Connection" connection in the folder. Is this normal? As I said it wasn't there before but after I upgaraded it just showed up. I can get rid of this when I goto the dynamic routing tab in my router setup and click disable. But when I do i no longer have an interent connection. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sabcik

join:2004-03-20
Flushing, NY
reply to beavxx
how do you change DNS on a linksys router, I have a VOIP and it's sucks. HELP

Krusher8

join:2003-09-29
reply to beavxx
Is there a list of DNS servers around the country? It would be nice to have a few alternates that are only a few hops away.

Are all DNS servers public or are there some private ones? Where do the DNS servers get their info from? (In other words, could you set one up on a home machine: Windows, Mac, or Linux for example and have instant lookup.)

That's a record # of questions in one of my posts.

Cod

join:2000-07-05
Kernersville, NC
reply to Sabcik
said by Sabcik:

how do you change DNS on a linksys router, I have a VOIP and it's sucks. HELP
log into your router, then under the setup tab, and basic setup you'll see the 3 DNS fields to add these server addresses into...Save settings and your done. I'd do it in your OS too as stated a few replies above by beavxx

neocorteqz
Juggalo
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Nashua, NH

1 edit
Guess I'm not having any issues.

Reply from 24.95.227.39: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=249
Reply from 24.95.227.39: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=249
Reply from 24.95.227.39: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=249
Reply from 24.95.227.39: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=249

Ping statistics for 24.95.227.39:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 10ms

Pinging 24.95.227.40 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 24.95.227.40: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=249
Reply from 24.95.227.40: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=249
Reply from 24.95.227.40: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=249
Reply from 24.95.227.40: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=249

Ping statistics for 24.95.227.40:
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 11ms

Pinging 65.32.1.79 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 65.32.1.79: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=246
Reply from 65.32.1.79: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=246
Reply from 65.32.1.79: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=246
Reply from 65.32.1.79: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=246

Ping statistics for 65.32.1.79:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 13ms
--
Only the Dead have seen the end of the world. - Plato

whathapp

join:2005-03-04
reply to beavxx
i've been using the 4.2.2.1 and on DNS address for a day or two now(even with the horrible connection i've had, which just got fixed), but what i want to know is, if the dns addy's are from level 3 communications, and normal customers are using them, is there anything wrong with it? can consumers get in trouble from using the dns addy's?

reply to beavxx

Re: [TWC] Roadrunner DNS... Holy Crap

Using NYC timewarnerRR Manhattan, recently upgraded to 5 Mb UL; I have these DNS servers spit up by DHCP

I had been having atrocious DNS resolution, sporadic web browsing, and general internet malais until I changed DNS servers to the aforementioned L3 servers 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3 ...

Holy Crap !

WTF is going on with the RR DNS ? Looks like our internet services are on autopilot.

Thanks guys.