Search similar:

uniqs
loucypher
join:2002-10-20
UK

loucypher

733 Error Message

Hi

I am trying to set up a VPN,between my Laptop and my Home Desktop, both are running XP pro.
I have used the create new Connection wizard on both machines, the Server is the Home Desktop.
I have the incoming connection set up OK on the Desktop, and the VPN connection set-up on the Laptop.
I have a Netgear Wireless Router/Modem at my home Desktop,the Router is configured correctly to forward all Relevant VPN Protocols(I successfully Use UltraVNC,and Remote Desktop).
When i try to use the VPN connection on the Laptop, i get as far as Registering Computer on the Network, and then get a 733 error message.
I have made sure that there is no tick in the Negotiate Multi-Link for single link connections Box in PPP Settings

Please don't tell me not to bother with it as i can already connect to the Desktop using UltraVNC and Remote Desktop,as i want to find out why i cant connect using the VPN connection.

Thanks for any help on this.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

How do you have your subnets setup? They should be different...

If your local home LAN is using 192.168.1.X for example, then setup the XP PPTP VPN server to allocate addresses in the 192.168.200.X range for example. Here is how I had my XP Pro box setup as a PPTP VPN server. Ignore the PocketPC parts...

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· VPN.html

You also might look into setting up and using a SSH tunnel instead. Its quite easy to setup and use IMHO. I now use SSH versus a VPN tunnel to access my home LAN.

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· SSH.html
loucypher
join:2002-10-20
UK

loucypher

Hi SoonerAI

Thanks very much for the reply, the Info , and the links.

I have now managed to set up the connection OK.

You are gonna think i am a right dumbo, I have the connection but how do i see the Server when i am on the Laptop, i have the connection Icon in the System tray, and it tells me i am connected.
When using Remote Desktop, and Ultra VNC, i can see the desktop on the Server.

Can you help please.

Thanks