Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

captnhook

join:2001-02-20
NY

2 edits

Problem after MS update KB891711

I just finished dealing with Microsoft customer service support.
I experienced a problem with automatic updates (Security update KB891711).
After installing it and rebooting, my computer system would crash when attempting to open Internet Explorer.
The first Customer Service person I talked with told me "that I need that update because it protects me from a hacker and that he'd connect me with a tech who would assist me in getting that file re-installed correctly on my PC so I'm safe".

The tech's "solution" was to have me uninstall KB891711 from my system.
He said that Windows 98 and ME have been exhibiting problems with the update but I should be fine now I uninstalled it.
But after re-reading the MS bulletin on the patch it sounds as if my PC is vulnerable to the Cursor and Icon Format Handling Vulnerability described in »www.microsoft.com/technet/securi···002.mspx.

Why issue a patch they claim is critical and then when it causes a system failure claim that it's not "necessary" and instruct me to remove it?
After uninstalling it I continue get "auto updates" saying that I need to install "KB891711".
I worry that this uninstalling of a "Critical Update" will leave my system vulnerable to a possible attack and wonder if removing the patch was the proper and correct thing that should have been done or if there's a way to re-install it so my system is secure.
I've written MS saying as much and hopefully will hear back soon.
Has anyone else experienced similar system crashes or problems after installing this patch?

SUMware
Premium
join:2002-05-21
kudos:2
Look at this thread, I've had problems too:
»www2.dslreports.com/forum/remark···ode=flat

SvS

join:2001-04-15
Germany
reply to captnhook
said by captnhook:

Has anyone else experienced similar system crashes or problems after installing this patch?
Just finished fixing a similar problem a friend of mine experienced after installing the update (Windows ME would display a blue screen on startup with the update installed). I left the update installed but disabled the startup item added by the patch, not sure what state the system is in now (protected or not) but at least it can be used again.

SirSteve
Premium
join:2003-11-28
Woodbury, CT
reply to captnhook
No problems here. I installed the *two* new patches (KB891711 & KB888113) on my Win Me system last night.

KitKatKid

@249.xx.49.Dial1.Wash
reply to captnhook
My sister had a problem with her Windows 98SE computer after installing KB891711. Windows would not complete booting. Her system simply froze up and the only way to get out of Windows was by turning off the machine (which in turn created additional problems).

I had her boot up in safe mode and then had her do the same thing SvS did: run msconfig and uncheck the KB891711 executable that was attempting to load. Like SvS, I did not have her uninstall the update. But her computer is running again.

ATK1

@attbi.com
reply to captnhook
Same thing here with my WinME, when alternatting between programs it would BSOD on me, and I would then have to force boot it. It appears disabling kb891711.exe from starting up solved the problem. I hope they find out what the problem is, and patch it because this is highly frustrating. On a side note, does these 2 updates only apply to WinMe and lower or does it apply to Win2k/WinXP also?

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI
no idea what the problem is, but patches love to cause more problems than they fix, that being said, all updates have been smooth for me on XP SP2

mers2
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-20
USA
kudos:8
reply to captnhook
Update went smooth and I've had no problems since. Running WinME.

captnhook

NY

1 edit
reply to captnhook

Re: Problem after MS update KB891711- Solved!

Well I figured out what had been causing my system to crash whenever I tried to open Internet Explorer. I have “Proxomitron Ver. Naoka-4.5” installed and running on my PC. It must be in conflict with and be causing KB891771.exe to crash my PC when attempting to access the Internet. I have read that a few people have experienced similar problems with some other browsers and I’m guessing that their web filters maybe also causing similar problems to the one I experienced.
MS did get back to me and said they had passed my issue on to their “Support Professionals”. I’ll post any word I hear from them concerning the problem.

In the meanwhile I'll stick with Proxomitron.

user4275
Location, Location, Location
Premium
join:2003-11-27
Chicago, IL
reply to captnhook

Re: Problem after MS update KB891711

I downloaded this patch on a W98 machine and after reboot there seem to be no problems. However, I did notice that KB891711 now shows as a running task in Taskmanager which I have never seen before after downloading an MS patch.

SUMware
Premium
join:2002-05-21
kudos:2
reply to captnhook

Thanks for the info Captnhook. Interesting. Proxo is on my Win98 box also. I've uninstalled KB891771 and will keep Proxo active, like you. Looking forward to reading the response from MS to you. Hopefully they'll re-engineer the patch and release an update for it.

Anyone else who uses Proxo having these problems?

Reinstalled the Q888113 update and it causes no problems for me. My system is back to running normally after completely removing KB891771 (and all the other stuff I did).

User4275 - KB891711 runs as a service at boot. So it would show up in your Taskmanager.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

2 edits
I'm also using Proxo and had to disable the patch as it was causing instability in otherwise reasonably stable system

Edit: it will be interesting to see if MS would bother to fix it

Cudni

KitKatKid

@249.xx.18.Dial1.Wash
reply to captnhook

My sister uses Proxo as well so I will pass that along for whatever it is worth.

But she also uses ZoneAlarm and a number of other programs that load at startup. Unless you are willing to go through and disable each of them systematically, it is impossible to know for sure which (if any of them) may be causing a conflict.

Since my sister lives far away and is computer illiterate, I would not want to subject her to that. But perhaps someone else may be more adventurous.

howrman

join:2000-07-08
Philadelphia, PA
reply to captnhook
I installed the patch on 3 machines. No problems on the first two (Win98SE & ME), but big BSOD problems on the third machine (Win98SE) whenever I tried to log into my network. I too had to disable the item in my startups. Kinda shoddy for MS to release a patch that seems to break so many machines.

Is there any other way to completely uninstall this patch?

mens rea
Premium
join:2002-01-31
Canada
reply to captnhook

I removed KB891771.exe immediately after I installed it on Win Me, after experiencing blue screen problems opening either FF or IE, with KB891771.exe running as a service. While I didn't check it independently, I do run Proxomitron, so I suspect this could be more than a coincidence. No problems with the other update patch (as of yet).

SirSteve
Premium
join:2003-11-28
Woodbury, CT
reply to howrman

said by howrman:

Is there any other way to completely uninstall this patch?
On my WinMe PC the KB891711 update was listed in the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

open8

join:2002-10-08
Larkspur, CA
reply to captnhook
greetings,

440bx 98se proxomitronv4.5 intellimouse v4x nvidia riva tnt 16MB agp v4.12.01.0650

891711 kept frying nvdisp.dll. firefox 1.0.1 functioned 85% good - "open in new tab OK. fail-lock system immediately upon "open new window". IE function 97% good.

i haven't even rebooted - just killed 891711 process - yee ha! seems like all is right.

having you folks in these forums is like "money in the bank". thanks for doing all the work - identifying 891711 as the culprit.

thank you thank you

rgntna9

@usu.edu
reply to captnhook
Had the update 2 days ago, no problems until I clicked a link on a yahoo search page. Don't have any of the other programs most are speaking of. When I boot everything is fine until I click IE--- get a black screen and need reboot. I have to stop 891711 in ctrlAltDel after boot. I think its to the point of uninstall (manually, no choice in add/Rem programs)

R

fraxinus01

join:2005-03-12
B-8200

1 edit
reply to captnhook
I just have the same experience. After applying KB888113 and (KB)KB891711 I could not start my Enternet 300 connections (blue screen crash). The update are "pushed" by the Windows automatic update or by searching for Updates on the Windows updates site. The operating system is WinME. I was just looking for a solution. Any help is welcome

JoefromMass

@cox.net
reply to captnhook
I downloaded KB89711 on my Win 98SE system yesterday, and today noticed that I can't run my Adobe Acrobat (version 5) (the full Acrobat program, not the reader). The Acrobat Reader version 6 runs ok, and I can view pdf online with it. Also I occasionally get a blue screen when I go into Windows Explorer, only cure being a reboot.
Maybe I'll uninstall the fix, and see what happens.

captnhook

NY

1 edit
reply to fraxinus01
Fraxinus..
To order to remove KB891711, the MS tech had me boot into safe mode and use add/remove in settings to delete it from my system. The KB888113 patch doesn't seem to be problematic for me.
Just deny the updates for KB891711 from being installed in the future.

You didn't mention if you're running proxomitron or some other ad-killing program but in my case proxo was positively conflicting with the KB891711.exe.
Still no word back from MS yet...

hoseknows

Conklin, NY

1 recommendation

reply to captnhook
Hello Forum, New here so please be patient with newbie mistakes that I'm sure to make. But I just wanted to add some observations on the KB891711 patch. Being the resident geek for several of my computer beginner friends, I always keep the patches, AV, spyware, and the host of other things that need tending under close scrutiny for them. In one day I have had three machines all running W98 SE install the kb891711 patch. Two of the three machines were brought to the house (been down with the head cold from Hades) and would not exhibit the BSOD until connecting through a dial-up (NetZero). Everything else would run fine including broadband internet connections. Only during the dial-up connection would they immediately BSOD. Uninstalled and re-installed NetZero with no change in condition. Disabled the KB891711 on both and the machines would dial-up just fine. Removed NetZero and installed the Road Runner dial-up program on one machine. Allowed KB891711 to run again and dialed up RR. No problems. Removed RR and re-installed NetZero with patch still engaged. Again we had BSOD immediately on connection. Theory; NetZero employs what appears to be a Browser Helper Object for their toolbars. BHO Demon does not report it as a helper but it appears to have all the characteristics of one. Could this KB891711 have conflicts with various BHO's and could this be the source of the conflicts for not just NetZero but other machines that uses the various (good or bad) BHO's. Any thought or additional observations would be appreciated because I do not want to leave a security patch disabled on rookie owned machines because usually once a hole is announced someone is there to fill it with a nasty. Thanks for your time and sorry for the diatribe. Hose

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
reply to captnhook
I installed both updates on my Windows 98se computer and had no problems. It didn't require a reboot, but I restarted it anyway. I haven't installed on XP yet.

Sincerely, Libra

fraxinus01

B-8200

1 edit
reply to captnhook
Dear captnhook,

I remove the KB891711 just by doing a restore of the "system checkpoint": "update windows v 4". This restore point is automatically taken before the install of KB891711.

The only ad-killing software I am using is POW.EXE and not proxomitron. As already stated: I noticed the problem only when I try to connect to the Internet using ADSL enternet 300 software. I suppose that people suffering from the "blue screen" at StartUp, are doing some kind of direct connection to the internet at StartUp. In the knowledge base from MS I see also that this KB891711 is updated recently: »www.microsoft.com/technet/securi···002.mspx .

I have also a second machine running WinXP SP2, but this OS does not requires this correction.

maxer

@pool82188.interbusin
I have win98se and Kaspersky antivirus.
After installing KB891711 I had a BSOD screen at startup with an error 06.
I uninstalled it, now the system boots correctly.

I'm waiting for the "patch of the patch"

umaremasu

join:2005-03-14
UK
reply to captnhook
I installed the two latest security patches per MS update onto my husbands PC yesterday, and about an hour later, he was closing Excel prog, and system froze. he cont/alt/deleted out, and then pc refused to completely boot, freezing just before completion.
After I had fiddled around a fair bit trying to boot up in safe mode, I had decided something had seriously corrupted when he had tried to close Excel. I did a reinstall of windows 98SE but on booting, again, a freeze up before completion. Getting back into safe mode, I ran MSconfig to disable start up progs, with the intention of re-enabling one at a time, and came across KB891711. Decided to do a search on Google as I didn't recognise it (well...I don't take a note of the security patches I install for him) and came across this thread!
As a result I disabled aformentioned KB891711 in start up, and problem was immediately resolved. Have now uninstalled it via add/remove progs but thought I would post to thank everyone else for reporting their difficulties, and thereby solving my problem, as I was getting very close to a format C!!
As my husband seems to think I am a techie I am relieved I can continue to pull the wool over his eyes!
For the record, he has installed Nod32 antivirus, Zone Alarm, Ad-AwareSE, and a cordless intellimouse.
And I decided this was a pretty good forum to subscribe to

Gianni45

join:2004-08-22
reply to captnhook
I'm on Win98SE and i removed KB891711 from my system today (via Add/Remove Programs applet) after getting many BSODs - since i installed it - at random but always attempting to open Internet Explorer !

Fatal Exception Error 06 at 0000 : 00001FF6.

Windows Update does NOT offer anymore to d/l this "Critical Update" NOW, so it's really not "necessary"...;)

btw NO Proxomitron here.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
said by Gianni45:

I'm on Win98SE and i removed KB891711 from my system today (via Add/Remove Programs applet) after getting many BSODs - since i installed it - at random but always attempting to open Internet Explorer !

Fatal Exception Error 06 at 0000 : 00001FF6.
I had the exact same experience and removed it in safe mode. It seems hard to believe this was not discovered on a 98SE machine before it was released.
--
Gary in South Carolina

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to Gianni45
I'm running Win ME here at work and Win Update still offers to download it here. I killed my 98SE on KB 891711 last night so I'm not biting on it today...

switters

@verizon.net
reply to captnhook
My Win Me crashes when I try to launch Firefox. Plus the update appears in my running processes window?