Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

purelander
Premium
join:2003-07-11

2 recommendations

[Free] Awesome Registry Cleaner-Windows Cleaner 2005

i just added this gem to my registry cleaner collection, it picked up 2800 invalid entries after i cleaned with Regseeker, RegVac, jv16 power tool etc....unbelievable.

Windows Cleaner 2005
--
In memory of Nicola Calipari - a true hero - who gave his life to save the life of an other human!Requiescat in Pace!

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium
join:2001-08-10
England
kudos:1
How come there is a "Buy Now" button?

BQuick4

join:2003-11-05
Italy
reply to purelander
From the download page:

"Download limited version with no trayout period".I wouldn't consider this a freeware.

purelander
Premium
reply to John2g

Re: [Free] Awesome Registry Cleaner-Windows Cleane

the registry cleaner and other cleaning features are free, for some features like defrag, registration is needed.

illJazz
Premium
join:2002-09-04
Zurich
reply to purelander

Re: [Free] Awesome Registry Cleaner-Windows Cleaner 2005

Looks great

bellgamin
Kachunga
Premium
join:2003-01-12
Ewa Beach, HI
reply to purelander

The site says it works only for "Windows 2000, XP, 2003" -- what is Windows 2003???

Candle1
Micro Developer
Premium
join:2003-03-24
Windows 2003 is a server I belive .

FDisk
O.O?

join:2003-08-18
Israel
reply to bellgamin
said by bellgamin:

The site says it works only for "Windows 2000, XP, 2003" -- what is Windows 2003???
Win 2003 Server and Advanced Server.
--
MCP, MCSA, MCSE.

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest

1 recommendation

reply to purelander

Still waiting for Tuneup 2005, then time to spend some money

Cheers

TomBrooklyn
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY
reply to purelander
I just started using ccleaner. How does it compare to that?

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to purelander

Will download tonite when I get home and check it out.

purelander
Premium
reply to TomBrooklyn
they're both great tools to have and complement each other well, i use both.

digital k
Premium
join:2003-12-25
reply to purelander

Downloaded and tried it , not a bad app. Thanks!

aplados
Premium
join:2002-08-26
Augusta, GA
reply to purelander
Pretty cool stuff here. »www.spywareaid.com/

aplados
Premium
Augusta, GA
reply to purelander
Mainly the one called CleanUp312.

TomBrooklyn
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY
reply to purelander

I just ran Windows Cleaner after using ccleaner first and Windows Cleaner found a couple of hundred items. I just formatted and reloaded everything on this computer less than a month ago. A couple of hundred things in the registry!? It said they were missing links or something like that. It seems incredible, almost unbelievable.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to purelander
I am not a strong believer in Registry Cleaners....in particular, using several of them just for the sake of "cleaning".

I've seen way too many people get in serious trouble randomly cleaning with Registry Cleaners.
The possible benefits are far less than the potential for disaster.

The Registry is an enormous database and all this "Cleaning" really doesn't amount to much...I've said this before, but I liken it to "sweeping out one parking space in a parking lot the size of Montana".

Sometimes, registry "tweaks" are necessary, or even suggested to fix various Software or hardware problems.
But a good working knowledge of what the registry is and how it works is important before one goes hitting the "select all/delete" button.

That said, I downloaded Windows cleaner 2005 to take a look.
All I can say is WOW......you better know darn well what it is you are getting rid considering the number of entries this app comes up with.

BTW....this is with all due respect to purelander See Profile, and the link is still appreciated.

Again, a registry "tweak" here and there is desirable or even necessary sometimes, but random "cleaning", especially for the novice, is inviting disaster.

I also would like someone to show me any hard evidence that registry cleaning actually improves performance. (Unless there is a specific problem that has to be addressed by making changes to the registry).

Sorry to go on like this, but I feel there is way to much Registry "Cleaning" going on these days just for the sake of "cleaning".

To those that have already heard this speech before, please forgive me.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

illJazz
Premium
Zurich
reply to purelander

jabarnut See Profile, while I understand your point.. I'd like to know how YOU deal with all the surplus registry entries that are constantly left in the registry by uninstalled apps and other system operations? That's the only reason I use registry cleaners. I certainly don't think it's improving performance at all.. but I like my registry clean.

I admit that it's dangerous, but I've never once had a problem with registry cleaners. :/
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Who needs sigs? Pay attention to the above! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

Hi illJazz See Profile
I do understand you point too. Perhaps when I give this speech, I'm a bit too harsh.

However, to answer your question....unless I'm experiencing a specific problem that involves the registry, I pretty much leave it alone these days. (I also learned this the hard way like many others).
I may, especially if I'm bored, even do some manual cleaning after uninstalling a program.

I MAY even run a Cleaner once in a while...and look very carefully at what it finds.
If it's not obvious what the entry is, it should be left alone.
The key here, I believe, is knowing what you are doing and what the Registry Cleaner is doing.

I did say I'm "not a strong believer" in Registry Cleaners. You are absolutely right that many (most) programs have lousy uninstallers, and there is often a bunch of crap left behind.

Usually, this won't create any problems....sometimes, it may. In cases like this, I suppose a registry cleaner can be somewhat beneficial.

I still feel, if you must use a registry Cleaner, use one that you like and "trust", rather than an entire suite of them.
And then, just be very sure you know exactly what it is you are removing. And backup the Registry first.
And then, stop worrying about it.

My former post was aimed more at people that run multiple Registry Cleaners, and then just automatically delete every entry they find, without even knowing whether it's something critical or not.....or for that matter what it's original purpose was (or still is!)
I do however think to majority of the users in these Forums know better.

Still, while I wasn't always this way, the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach is pretty much how I deal with the registry these days....and I rarely have problems.

Of course, having a good backup of your System and of the registry itself is very important. ESPECIALLY, if people feel like "cleaning" a lot.

I STILL feel like cleaning the registry is more about giving one that sense of "Oh boy everything is nice and clean now", more than it is anything all that beneficial.

I also think the more "cleaning" one does, the better the chances are of screwing something up.
The trend lately seems almost an "obsession" to see who can clean out the most from their registries.
A dangerous practice as you noted.

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion from the problems I've seen people create for themselves.
The serious Computer Geeks fascination with the Registry is a little more understandable.

I still think people should know a bit about how the Registry "ticks" before they start hacking away at it.

Wow! You think I should get into Politics?

Did I do a pretty good job of not offending anyone?
--

illJazz
Premium
Zurich
said by jabarnut:

Politics? Nah. That's boring and corrupt . Stay here.

As for number two, you couldn't have done any better. Thanks for the in-depth post, I know I appreciate it.

To me, the registry is a mistery. It's immense and bloated and just not cool. I hope future versions of Windows will ditch it entirely and come up with something brand new to handle the registry's tasks
--

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 recommendation

Thanks Fyle....Hehe..I agree, the politics idea is a bad one.

And yes, the registry can be quite daunting. An enormous Database full of all kinds of scary stuff!

I did want to say one more thing though....for people reading this thread, PLEASE don't let my posts scare you away from further posting in this thread, or for that matter even trying out wang's cleaner. Just be careful.

I think I already scared people away from one thread earlier today. (The ol' "Diskeeper/Perfectdisk" syndrome), and I don't want to do it again.

Please don't take me too seriously folks....I don't.
--

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

Hi illJazz See Profile
I MAY even run a Cleaner once in a while...and look very carefully at what it finds.
If it's not obvious what the entry is, it should be left alone.
The key here, I believe, is knowing what you are doing and what the Registry Cleaner is doing.

I did say I'm "not a strong believer" in Registry Cleaners.
I still feel, if you must use a registry Cleaner, use one that you like and "trust", rather than an entire suite of them.
And then, just be very sure you know exactly what it is you are removing. And backup the Registry first.
then, stop worrying about it.

My former post was aimed more at people that run multiple Registry Cleaners,.....

Of course, having a good backup of your System and of the registry itself is very important. ESPECIALLY, if people feel like "cleaning" a lot.

I also think the more "cleaning" one does, the better the chances are of screwing something up.
The trend lately seems almost an "obsession" to see who can clean out the most from their registries.
A dangerous practice as you noted.

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion from the problems I've seen people create for themselves.
The serious Computer Geeks fascination with the Registry is a little more understandable.

I still think people should know a bit about how the Registry "ticks" before they start hacking away at it.

Lol...that was good. The problem with Cleaners have been, to date; They have been indiscriminate on newbie deletes or to be a wee bit more concise -Don't allow for aberrations performed by newbies. The GUI interface on most are not that user friendly, in terms of discriminating differences between what's bad, good or ugly! Most users using a reg cleaner have absolutely no idea what the progo is suggesting!

They just click, clean...Not entirely their fault, I'm yet to see one of these progo's that actually step a newbie through what should, or should not be done! Without confusing the issue.

It's prudent to become familair with your OS Reg files, before using the options, provided to date by cleaners.

Cheers
--
2.66g/533fsb Intel CPU @ 3.48g512meg Twinmos PC3700~466 DDR @ 2.8v -PCpower&Cooling 512.ATI 9500 Pro @ 9700 Pro @1.6v--AMD ASUS A7N8X-E ~2500+ @3200 ATI 9500 Pro, Corsair 512LL.-- Aristotle.net

aplados
Premium
Augusta, GA
reply to purelander

That's cool. I'll just add it to my freeware collection which is getting bigger and bigger. It's great that we have lots of freeware. Save you lots of money and many DO work great.

malirene

@mnsi.net
reply to purelander

example
Some people believe, some not but some people taking about “buck” witch one newer read or read just title. Before any comments I think is fear to finish with reading, right?
Here is small example what WC does with registry. BTW information for fast readers, this is not only thing.

illJazz
Premium
Zurich

1 recommendation

reply to purelander
I had trouble with the text in the screenshot.. the English was a bit off in that one.. the registry isn't a simple concept, and anyone who aims to explain something about it will need an accurate way of doing so. Could somebody more knowledgable than me explain the text in the image?
--

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

2 recommendations

reply to purelander

WARNING! Do not read this post unless you are bored silly and have nothing better to do!

I'm afraid I've lost something in the translation here too illJazz See Profile.
Not so much in the image text, but the overall point the poster was trying to make.

What our friend is showing in the example is a typical registry Key that is of no use anymore.
You've seen them many times come up as "File or path does not exist", "unused open with entry", "invalid dll's", "useless or empty keys" etc when using a Registry Cleaner.

I've hesitated to respond to this thread again, because it's impossible for me to condense anything it seems. (IE, I talk too much. ).

Basically, the registry stores information and settings related to Hardware, Software, Users Preferences, and pretty much everything else dealing with you machine.

Even something like a slight change to, say a tweak to increase the menu speed, actually is changing a Key value behind the scenes in the registry.

The GUI makes it seem like a little point and click change, but in fact, the actual change is being made and stored in the registry. (A program like 'TweakUI" for example is nothing more than a "registry tweaker" with a user friendly interface).

You could actually make the same changes manually. In fact, if you were familiar with the registry, and were bored to death, you could conceivably customise virtually every Windows setting all from the registry.

The various "GUI's" of Windows simply 'automates' the process so to speak....(and keeps you out of trouble)

Darn it! I knew I shouldn't have started this. There is a lot of good reading out there for those that want to learn more. (I also may have only confused the issue even further).

As our friend "malirene" shows, removing the empty "session" Key and its useless values, is making the registry smaller by a total of a measly 4 "entries".
He/she also points out that there can literally be hundreds (or even thousands) of the useless entries from installing/uninstalling programs etc over time, adding/ removing hardware, and numerous other changes the system goes through.

This is where it becomes unclear to me as to the point being made...considering there can be upwards of 50,000 or more entries (actually, I think considerably more are possible..like 1 or 200,000), I'm not sure if the poster is agreeing with me in so much as even removing several hundred useless entries is somewhat futile, considering the total number of entries in an enormous database.

OR, if He/She is saying that this is a real problem and the need for newer and better Cleaners are necessary as eventually things will get bogged down.
(My feelings are STILL that random cleaning is dangerous).

Last but not least, I'm having a much more difficult time understanding the "follow up" quote than I am the screen shot:
quote:
Some people believe, some not but some people taking about “buck” witch one newer read or read just title. Before any comments I think is fear to finish with reading, right?
Here is small example what WC does with registry. BTW information for fast readers, this is not only thing.
I'm really not sure if the poster is saying:
"What's the matter with you people???"
"I buy you Books" ("bucks"), "and all you do is read the covers"! (Or chew on the covers).

In other words, "read up on this stuff some more before forming an opinion".

Maybe it's even directed at me.....don't know.

Care to fill us in a little more if possible malirene as to the basic point you want to get across?

I do know one thing....I will spare you all and won't be commenting in this thread again.
I have failed miserably again to keep it brief as you can see, while at the same time saying very little.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll add a little "disclaimer" at the beginning of the post.
--

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium
join:2004-01-08
WA State

1 recommendation

reply to purelander
As has been said, be very careful with tools like this. I ran it and it found the following errors in the file type category.

.idx is clipcache file
.iso is an image file
.mvc is a WSFTP setup file
.p3p is a privacy policy file
.pcv is a Firefox backup file

I realize that the reason these were flagged is that they are not associated with an "open with" command. I will repair these myself by associating them but I would be leery of removing the entries for fear of breaking one of the programs using this file type.

This seems to be a good app but don't just check everything for cleaning if you're not sure what it is.

illJazz
Premium
Zurich
reply to purelander

I don't know.. with CCleaner, I always check everything and just let it do its thing
--

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium
join:2004-01-08
WA State

said by illJazz:

I don't know.. with CCleaner, I always check everything and just let it do its thing
Yeah, but you like to format and re-install.

illJazz
Premium
Zurich
reply to purelander

Never had to because of any registry cleaner.. and certainly not because of CCleaner. Don't know.. I've used a LOT of registry cleaners.. and don't see them as being very dangerous. I do agree that you should know what you're doing if you intend to use a registry cleaner, but generally, even if you don't back up every single time.. and even if you don't look at EVERYTHING it has found every time.. you usually won't see any trouble
At least that's my experience.
And nah.. I don't format&reinstall anymore. I have TrueImage to do the dirty work for me
--