spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jferrante
join:2003-12-06
Glendale, AZ

jferrante to jpark

to jpark

Re: Intel pro/wireless 2200 BG Problems.

I've had similar problems with my new notebook. (Quanta KN1) The card was manufactured in August 2005. I replaced it with one that was made July 2004 and it works well now.

I got that idea because my previous notebook was about a year old (Dell/Compal) and had no problems.

FYI: I'm connecting through a Belkin pre-n router that has a weaker signal than my old Linksys WRT54G.

Jeff
jpark
join:2005-02-05
Jackson, TN

jpark

I don't know how that would change anything. Mine was manufactured in Feb. 2005. I'm connecting to a belkin router.

joerd
@12.45.x.x

joerd to bell_s

Anon

to bell_s

Intel pro/wireless 2200 BG on Thinkpad T42

Click for full size
Error msg
I have a Thinkpad T42, with the Intel 2200 BG. I use IBM's ThinkVantage, and all the latest drivers. However, I cannot turn the radio on. Any suggestions?
louis_edm
join:2005-10-23
Edmonton, AB

louis_edm

Hi joerd,

For my T41, I did the following to be able to turn the card on and off via Access Connections:

1. Open Control Panel (Start menu...)
2. Open Network Connections
3. Right click on your wireless connection, then select properties.
4. Go through the tabs at the top. In one of the tabs, there will be a box that you can select that says something to the effect of "allow other programs to control this connection" or something like that. It was a long time ago... Check this box.
5. Reboot your computer. When you're back up and running, you should be able to turn the card on and off using Access Connections instead of the windows program.

Hope that works.

Cheers!
L.

ferreter
join:2004-01-06
Falls Church, VA

ferreter to joerd

to joerd
You might have to enable it in your BIOS.

joerd
@12.45.x.x

joerd to louis_edm

Anon

to louis_edm
Thanks Louis, but I couldn't find this box. Checked the BIOS, too, to no avail. If you have any further ideas, I'd love to hear about them...
JimPletcher
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Enola, PA

JimPletcher

Premium Member

In ThinkPad Configuration look under Add-In Devices and make sure the wireless card is Enabled

ThinkPad Configuration should be under Access IBM in the All Programs list.

joerd
@12.45.x.x

joerd

Anon

I got that, thank you Jim. It doesn't help however. It looks like some sort of driver incompatibility. I'll keep you posted.
JimPletcher
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Enola, PA

1 edit

JimPletcher

Premium Member

FWIW, ThinkVantage Access Connections was wreaking havoc on my T40.

After letting Windows control all connections, the problems all went away.

Other thought:
Does the wireless hardware look OK in the Device Manager?

Edit: This should really be a new thread.
SVG1
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Kasilof, AK

SVG1 to bell_s

Premium Member

to bell_s

Click for full size
By any chance did you install the intel proset wireless driver ?

Most pc's do not come preloaded with the proset driver because it can conflict with WZC .

The only driver needed is the first driver on the list . The wireless Lan adapter driver .

x-es
@ov.home.nl

x-es

Anon

what about the new released driver?? 9.0.3.0

»downloadfinder.intel.com ··· tID=1784
JTS33
join:2003-05-03
USA

JTS33

said by x-es :

what about the new released driver?? 9.0.3.0

»downloadfinder.intel.com ··· tID=1784
I updated from 9.0.2.1 to 9.0.3.0. Works fine for me...don't notice anything different.
dananderson
join:2004-10-18
San Diego, CA

dananderson to Flashback1

to Flashback1
You're right Flashback, the Intel PRO 2200 bg is a POS. Do a search for 2200 and you'll find lots of problems. It's nice it works for some though, but that doesn't help everyone else.

My problem was with the Intel PRO 2200 bg on a Dell laptop with WPA enabled. When I would run AdAware, I get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). I was running version 8.x of the drivers, so upgraded to 9.x (recommended for WPA). With 9.x, the 2200 wouldn't recognized any access points (the AP was still working with my other laptop). A suggested workaround was to use WEP instead of WPA, which is not acceptable for my situation.

My solution was to upgrade to Intel PRO Wireless 2915 WLAN 802.11a/b/g Mini PCI Card. This card works fine (with the 9.x drivers). No BSOD! WPA works!
dananderson

dananderson to Good Ol Dan

to Good Ol Dan
My problem was with the (POS) Intel PRO 2200 bg on a Dell laptop with WPA enabled. When I would run AdAware, I get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). I was running version 8.x of the drivers, so upgraded to 9.x (recommended for WPA). With 9.x, the 2200 wouldn't recognized any access points (the AP was still working with my other laptop). A suggested workaround was to use WEP instead of WPA, which is not acceptable for my situation.

My solution was to upgrade to Intel PRO Wireless 2915 WLAN 802.11a/b/g Mini PCI Card. This card works fine (with the 9.x drivers). No BSOD! WPA works!

Dell doesn't even offer the 2200 any longer--just it's own brand or the 2915. Too much of a support headache I guess!

SkiJunkie
Never mind dog, beware of the owner
Premium Member
join:2004-05-31
Canada......

SkiJunkie

Premium Member

solution for this problem is to remove the card , take out biggest possible hammer and release all your anger
The Count
join:2005-07-19
UK

1 edit

The Count to bell_s

to bell_s
I had been having the drop out problem, but seemed to have solved it by switching from WPA-PSK AES to 128 bit WEP. I know this is not ideal, but is better than a connection drop right in the middle of something.
Anyone else noticed this?
I am running the latest driver 9.0.3.9

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to bell_s

Premium Member

to bell_s
Same probs here. Intel 2200BG in a Dell Inspiron 8600. I was using a Linksys WRT54G (v2) router and recently bought a D-Link DI-624. I've had the same issues with both routers so I figure it is the laptop or, more specifically after reading this thread, the wireless NIC.

When I first got the machine, I found it was bluescreening constantly if I used WPA security on my router. In fact, 64-bit WEP is the only security setting I could use that resulted in flawless operation of the laptop's wireless connection. I spent hours on the phone with one of Dell's India-based techs to arrive at the conclusion that, yes, the drivers for the 2200BG are garbage. Since I could get it working at low-strength security, Dell wouldn't do anything else about it.

To this day, I still have the same problem with stronger wireless security models. If I try to use higer security, such as WPA PSK-TKIP, my laptop won't correctly pull an IP from the DHCP server. Router logs show that the correct IP was doled out, but the laptop will use a 169.xx fallback address and claim "Limited or no connectivity." But if I set up the IP address, gateway and DNS servers manually, it works fine!

...Except that it drops the wireless connection several times a day. It promptly reconnects, claims everything is fine with 100% signal strength, but I can't get anywhere. Can't hit websites, can't ping other machines on the LAN, nothing. If I "repair" the wireless network connection, suddenly it starts working again. When this happens, myriad TCP/IP related errors appear in the system log, but nothing that's helped me track down a fix.

Thinking about reinstalling WinXP from scratch and trying the latest 2200BG drivers. Intel suggested I get OEM-specific network drivers from my laptop manufacturer (Dell), but when I downloaded the latest drivers from Dell's site, they would not install -- some kind of error related to SMBIOS if I recall correctly. I did a manual driver update via Device Manager, but who knows if it worked correctly.

Frustrating crap.

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it
join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ

marathonmike to bell_s

to bell_s
Ok I'm a sucker. I'm trying the new release. Seems ok so far....
JTS33
USA

JTS33 to banditws6

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

Same probs here. Intel 2200BG in a Dell Inspiron 8600. I was using a Linksys WRT54G (v2) router and recently bought a D-Link DI-624. I've had the same issues with both routers so I figure it is the laptop or, more specifically after reading this thread, the wireless NIC.
It seems to be a combination of the laptop and wireless NIC, being that a majority of the problem reports appear to be from those with certain Dell laptops.
dutchpilot
join:2005-10-30
St Catharines, ON

dutchpilot to bell_s

to bell_s
All my dropout problems are solved....my Gateway 8510gz....is now an internet rocketship....

Problem solved

I installed the new driver for the Centrino Intel Wireless Pro2200BG in my laptop driver version 9.0.3.9
The Count
UK

The Count to banditws6

to banditws6
I wouldn't waste your time with a WinXP reinstall. This is definitely a problem with the 2200BG.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

said by The Count:

I wouldn't waste your time with a WinXP reinstall. This is definitely a problem with the 2200BG.
Yep, I figured as much. I set the router back to the only security the 2200 can handle -- WEP 64 -- and will get a new wireless NIC soon.

arniebg
@bellsouth.net

arniebg to PyryJ

Anon

to PyryJ
I have that 2200 in my HP tablet (TC1100) I also can surf the net, but about 50% of the time I cannot access my website files via FTP. Very frustrating.
The Count
UK

The Count to banditws6

to banditws6
Touch wood WEP 128 seems to be fine with me and the router in my sig.
Really anoying, 'cause WAP-PSK with AES works fine when I use Belkin 7050 USB adapter on my desktop.
joerd
join:2005-10-26
Denver, CO

joerd to JimPletcher

to JimPletcher

Re: Intel pro/wireless 2200 BG on Thinkpad T42

Thanks for all the help. Solved the problem when I removed the old drivers + Accessconnections. Updated to the latest driver from Intel (not IBM), now it works fine.

Chuck B
@lsanca.dsl-w.verizon

Chuck B to bell_s

Anon

to bell_s

Hey guys, I'm about to order a Dell Latitude D610 and I could configure it without the Intel 2200 Pro card (reduces the cost by $20)...

This thread has me very leary of Intel's wireless card, so please tell me - would it be a smarter move on my part to order it without the 2200 and simply buy a good PCMCIA wireless nic adapter?

Pyryj
@elisa-laajakaista.fi

Pyryj to bell_s

Anon

to bell_s
Finally!!!!!! if you still have problems with 2200bg, you should download the latest driver (9.0.3.9)The new driver SOLVES ALL PROBLEMS!!! unbelievable... So, we can now put an end to this thread and close the case... :P

shortcut to new driver: »downloadfinder.intel.com ··· tID=1784
JTS33
USA

JTS33

Actually, I reverted from the latest driver package (9.0.3.0) to the previous one (9.0.2.1) because my laptop seemed to sometimes have trouble reassociating with the AP after resuming from standby. The 9.0.2.1 driver package works great for me. I'll wait until something newer than the 9.0.3.0 driver package to come out before upgrading again.
drahnier
join:2003-02-11
germany

drahnier

To all of you still having problems: Mine went away as soon as I set my 2915abg to CAM mode (= Constant Awareness Mode). This means it no longer tries to save power, running on fill throttle.

I've learned that any power save scheme requires close interplay with a wireless adapter and an access point. So it might really be your access point what is causing all the trouble.

Give CAM a try.

John33
@dsl.sntc01.pacbell.n

John33 to bell_s

Anon

to bell_s
Where do you set the CAM on the 2200bg?