David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David

Premium Member

[request] Turn off IM!

I find constantly that people (first time users mainly) that wont bother to post in the direct forum when I ask. I find this rather annoying, I don't mind recieving them from users that have been here for a while, but the new ones that ask "are you here to talk?" are getting annoying. The n00bs that do this don't give me much information and don't post in direct or even the forums for that matter.

I am requesting a way to shut off the IM system per ID (except for mod traffic/system traffic/MVM/VIP/buddy), like a toggle switch.

Edit: added a few other groups.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

Re: Turn off IM!

I understand bb's position. Would he consider modifying the request to say, "Turn off IMs except from Mods, System, MVMs, and VIPs"?

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

1 recommendation

davidg to David

MVM

to David
*sign*

maybe an option to turn off IMs EXCEPT for from your buddy/watched list and from the system/Mods

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
agreed, and changed..

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

OK. Now, I'll *sign*.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin to David

Mod

to David
what, you mean, turn off ability to receive unsolicited instant messages? (from people you've not previously messaged)? otherwise, you can't get replies from someone YOU message.

rbright
Premium Member
join:2002-12-10
Lexington, KY

rbright to David

Premium Member

to David
I haven't had any problems with users messaging me without good reason, but most forums do include this feature. For those that don't get a lot of useful messages, it would be a good implementation.

*sign*

SK87
The member formerly known as Cow
Premium Member
join:2001-05-18
Toronto

1 edit

SK87 to David

Premium Member

to David
Edit: Didn't correctly understand situation.
**sign**

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Well over the months I get the message as least once a week of

"Are you here?"

While I have been rather sincere, some of my answers I have thought of selecting are..

• "No I am not"
• "Actually I am a bot that works at the local 7-11, please stop by and get your free squishie!"
•"This is Det. David A. Donaldson of the FBI, you are to cease and desist all internet related activities before we act out our authorities as a govermental power"
• "Naaa, I am not really here, I am just a figment of your imagination"
• "Brain.exe has caused a temporary malfunction in response to this message and will be shut down, we are sorry for the inconvienience, we hope to have it repaired soon"
• "I am actually the computer that monitors this account, this network guru/DSL guru gets rather cranky when I get him up out of bed for stupid shit. I was advised to tell everyone that "he is not home"... "

•"Please IM at a better time, I am the message server, if I wake up my owner now, I will be deactivated permanently."

• "This is beach's cat, spaz, I can only recognize Meow, please type your message in only Meow, purr, and scratches"

If I had to clarify really, just a way to keep the n00bs from just sending dumb messages I guess. I read maybe 1/4 of what I get already when I can, and find when I clean out the box (on a regularly, weekly basis) most don't have threads in the direct forum to work, or even look at. I have tried to stop the problem to having the instant message pre-send message pop up, it stops about 1/2 of them.
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig to David

MVM

to David
I thought that I remembered a feature that might help.
I was right: » ··· 3D&set=1

You can put in a message that is automatically sent to anyone who tries to IM you for the first time.
This might be a way of reminding folk to work in a real thread - sharing with the whole forum, rather than leeching one person's time.

Think this might help?

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by Spensergig:

I thought that I remembered a feature that might help.
I was right: » ··· 3D&set=1

You can put in a message that is automatically sent to anyone who tries to IM you for the first time.
This might be a way of reminding folk to work in a real thread - sharing with the whole forum, rather than leeching one person's time.

Think this might help?
I have it active already, It slows them down, but it don't stop them. Surely I am not the only one annoyed by this problem?
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig

MVM

said by David:

It slows them down, but it don't stop them. Surely I am not the only one annoyed by this problem?
I suspect the problem is mainly directed at VIPs.
Part of the price you pay for the tag.;)

Maybe the forum host(s) could help with a sticky or a tag at the top of the forum links.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to David

Premium Member

to David
Ignore them, they will get the point. Even in threads where I said specifically not to e-mail, or IM me twice, people still did... On another board they IM me questions about the thread where I asked people not to contact me via that method. *Object*

I like being able to turn off the e-mail form, however IM is part of site communications.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to David

to David
Turning off all IM's (except those that you've noted) is a pretty large step. Just thinking out loud, probably the only people on the site who are that inundated with IM's are some of the techs and some of the moderators.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David

Premium Member

said by fatness:

Turning off all IM's (except those that you've noted) is a pretty large step. Just thinking out loud, probably the only people on the site who are that inundated with IM's are some of the techs and some of the moderators.
Well, I would not complain as much, hell even if I could have it to where instead of IM'ing me it can give them a message and file 13 the IM that would be fantastic, and let the above groups through, or allow them to IM me after a certain amount of site time, I would even agree to that.

It seems it is (or as least to me) becoming like the AOL SYNDROME ,where they just register, send me a message and don't think 2x about it. I don't get near the e-mail traffic as I do IM traffic, and that address is visible! I would almost rather have the e-mail message than the IM message! As I say that.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM

davidg

MVM

on that note, why not change the request to stop ANYONE from sending IMs, other than to Mods, until they have at least reached level 1?

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

1 recommendation

fatness

There are some new members on the site who figure out how to IM before they figure out how to post in forum, and there are some who are timid and more comfortable starting with IM's than forum posts. I'd hate to cut off that ability for them.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM

davidg

MVM

ok, then why not just enable that as an option for the VIPs, this would accomplish what David See Profile is wanting.

then if a new person, as in just joined, tries to send him an IM they get a message saying :

"This user has blocked IM from unknown sources. To communicate with this user, please create a thread in ------ forum"

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David

Premium Member

Well, I never wanted it to be that "I am important than anyone else" syndrome. It seems that some people see "Oooh VIP, he is important!!" and send me IM's for the dumbest crap.

I had one 2 weeks ago asking if I can change his site password, I had advised that I don't do site passwords, he/she it/they state "Well you are a VIP, what help are you then?" I checked the ID and info page, Just registered, I mean it was less than 15 minutes old and in GA none the less.

I get some for other pointless ventures, like it is rather impressive to talk to me, One asked me the question which actress/actor I was. Hell I did not even know I was famous... His ID was about a month old, I am wondering if they wanted to know where the dirt is on the celebrities. My first thought was "Kirstie Alley - fat actress"

I can list plenty of examples for about 1/2 the night but I don't feel like going that far

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM

davidg

MVM

i don't mean just for you, but for all the VIPs. you guys are all Techs or at least have an affiliation with an ISP, so you deserve a few more "perks".

and believe me, i have received my share of the dumb IMs myself!

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to David

Premium Member

to David
Seems like a dead end for people who are constantly inundated with unwanted IMs.

You could ignore all those people, but I believe there's a limit to the ignore list.

Seems like a fair option to me to turn off IMs from people who are not on your buddy list (and mods and system obviously).

Doesn't bother me, but *sign* to what sounds like a reasonable request.

To Fatness's point, perhaps in the rare instance when a new member IMs someone not receiving, they'll be encouraged to post?
boblandy2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06

boblandy2 to David

Premium Member

to David
said by David:

Well, I never wanted it to be that "I am important than anyone else" syndrome. It seems that some people see "Oooh VIP, he is important!!" and send me IM's for the dumbest crap.
well, if you don't want it to be that you are more important than anyone else, remove the VIP designation

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David

Premium Member

said by boblandy2:
said by David:

well, if you don't want it to be that you are more important than anyone else, remove the VIP designation
Well, VIP and MVM is more different

VIP's are for say SBC official techs, Microsoft VIP's, Security VIP's and such. Do we answer site questions? probably not.. least I don't MVM's might be a bit better for this, or a forum post. Not to inundate the MVM's but the VIP's is kind of like barking up the wrong tree. At the same time you could ask justin to wear a VIP tag for DSLreports, Same type of example of what you are stating.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

1 recommendation

RadioDoc to David

to David
This site recently added the ability to block email contact completely, so there is no reason not to provide the ability to block IMs, too. If someone wants to isolate themselves that way, it's a privacy matter between them and the site, and they should be able to do just that.

Considering that it only affects the person who turns it "off", I * SIGN *

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

mers2 to David

Premium Member

to David
I've heard a lot of complaints from people with VIP and MVM tags that they get a lot of unwanted IMs from people who IM them to get help simply because they have the tag, rather then take the time to post in the forums. Perhaps BBR admin can emphasise, particularly to n00bs that this is a no no. VIPs and MVMs shouldn't have to cut themselves off from IMs to avoid abuse.

aSic
application specific
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

aSic to David

Premium Member

to David
I'd like to see this implemented for all members.. however, I cant seem to finalize my choice. I like the idea, but at the same time, having that option will shift the focus from annoying IMs cluttering up one persons inbox (just add to ignore list), to 5000 annoying threads with the title of "beach boy i need your help" cluttering up the forums.

*neutral*
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

2 recommendations

sailor to David

Premium Member

to David
said by David:

I had one 2 weeks ago asking if I can change his site password, I had advised that I don't do site passwords, he/she it/they state "Well you are a VIP, what help are you then?" I checked the ID and info page, Just registered, I mean it was less than 15 minutes old and in GA none the less.

I get some for other pointless ventures, like it is rather impressive to talk to me, One asked me the question which actress/actor I was. Hell I did not even know I was famous... His ID was about a month old, I am wondering if they wanted to know where the dirt is on the celebrities. My first thought was "Kirstie Alley - fat actress"

I can list plenty of examples for about 1/2 the night but I don't feel like going that far
I thought this entire site was all about helping others...regardless if they have been here 24 hours or 24 years..

Maybe by your above statements, you should ditch your VIP tag so you don't have to bother with anyone seeking help...I mean, what's the big deal when the person who IM you asking you about changing their site password that you couldn't take 2 minutes to reply and point them to fatness or whoever does those things...?

You want people you know to IM you but new people not to bother you....but yet you'll tell them to donate and contribute to the site!..when you don't even care to contribute to anyone new from what your saying..

Amazing how all over the entire web so many people forget that at one time they were BRAND NEW

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

David

Premium Member

said by sailor:

I thought this entire site was all about helping others...regardless if they have been here 24 hours or 24 years..

Maybe by your above statements, you should ditch your VIP tag so you don't have to bother with anyone seeking help...I mean, what's the big deal when the person who IM you asking you about changing their site password that you couldn't take 2 minutes to reply and point them to fatness or whoever does those things...?

You want people you know to IM you but new people not to bother you....but yet you'll tell them to donate and contribute to the site!..when you don't even care to contribute to anyone new from what your saying..

Amazing how all over the entire web so many people forget that at one time they were BRAND NEW
It has nothing to really do with that, I cannot really help with "What is the best IRC client", but can fix SBC DSL problems. Where does that qualify in the VIP tag that I answer basic BBR questions? Well the VIP tag I got for being Official SBC Support, not BBR support. I kind of rather they would post in the forum, least then I can get it moved to the correct forum, and you the users can answer it and take the time to answer it faster than I could. Some things on this site I know nothing about, like line monitor, the ping tests, etc. I can have these questions moved to the appropriate forum where the experts there can answer it. With IM I don't really get that choice or I get "What you don't know and your a VIP?!?!" Well I don't know, hell even I ask questions now and then and tell the mods if it is in the wrong area please move it.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

Some of the folks that are so against this may not have the same problem that some of us do. Doctor Olds and I cried to get email turned off because we both got lots of email from folks for things that should be in the forums. Or, of the type, "I answered your note in the forum". Really cluttered up my spam catcher with stuff like that. People got pissed at me for not answering their email. Now, they can't email me so they're not mad any more.

Likewise, we get IMs for things we don't have a clue about. Just because I have an MVM tag doesn't mean I know beans about the newest processors and boards. Or that I know about xyz router. But I get IMs about them.

Beach Boy spends lots of hours on the site working. Yep, he does "official SBC business" here on this site. SBC enjoys superb technical support through dslr/bbr and he's a big part of the reason why. This is just another way for him to manage his time better.
boblandy2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06

boblandy2

Premium Member

said by McSummation:

we get IMs for things we don't have a clue about. Just because I have an MVM tag doesn't mean I know beans about the newest processors and boards. Or that I know about xyz router. But I get IMs about them
three word response
i don't know