spc
uniqs

ChangeIPPlz
@optonline.net

ChangeIPPlz to StreetSpirit

Anon

to StreetSpirit

Re: Capping Discussion Here Only - Part 6

hey streetspirit, how can you force an IP change? i tried to change my IP but if i change it to anything else it doesnt work anymore, even if its in my subnet

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

said by ChangeIPPlz:

hey streetspirit, how can you force an IP change? i tried to change my IP but if i change it to anything else it doesnt work anymore, even if its in my subnet
You don't change your IP yourself. In fact, hard coding an IP address will likely cause issues for you and OOL could disconnect your service if they find out as it will cause issues for others if they are assigned that IP.

OOL assigns an IP address based on the MAC address of the device directly connected to the cable modem. If you change the MAC address of the device connected to the cable modem, that device will get a new IP address. If you have a router, you can look at cloning one of the MAC Addresses of a network card in one of your computers. If you have a computer directly connected to the cable modem you can switch the network card out for another or try a utility that might or might not work in changing the MAC address of your network card.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

StreetSpirit to ChangeIPPlz

Premium Member

to ChangeIPPlz

Click_CONFIGURE

said by ChangeIPPlz:

Some NICs let you specify their address [MAC] overriding the NIC's default. With others you'll need a third party utility like SMAC.

You must be careful to select a MAC address that will not conflict with another user on the network. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

The modem "learns" the MAC address of the device it's connected to, and must be powered down for about 30 seconds for it to be able to learn the new MAC.

I took a MAC from an ancient 10baseT ISA NIC and used it. My SMC 1312 10/100 NIC has an "address" field in it's properties, so it was relatively easy. The same process would be done on the router with the same care taken to not select a MAC that will conflict with another user.

If you follow it properly [and pull the power from the modem] Your IP will change.

With my SMC 1312 10/100 NIC, I basically followed the above process.

Hope the screen captures help.

--
Rgds,
David
PS DO NOT USE THE MAC IN THE PICTURE - IT IS FOR DEMONSTRATION ONLY!!!
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 recommendation

TheWiseGuy

MVM

As StreetSpirit See Profile has said, you need to pick a MAC address carefully. You can substitute for each asterisk, a number between 0-9 or a Letter from A-F, in the Locally Administered Addresses below

Locally Administered Addresses
*2-**-**-**-**-**
*6-**-**-**-**-**
*A-**-**-**-**-**
*E-**-**-**-**-**

As long as you don't use a pattern for the asterisks, like all 0s or 1s, you should be able to pick, at random, any of the Locally Administered Address without a problem.

»www.mynetwatchman.com/pc ··· ap04.htm