uniqs
share rss forum feed

ghostpainter
I Write for the Apocalypse
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:3

[Moose!] Has there ever been a Snow Tornado?

This question was posed at Weathermatrix today and no seems to know...All records indicate that all supposed Snow Tornadoes actually turned out to be straight line wind events.

Of course I always was told that there was no such such thing as Thunder snow or lightning in snow, but I have seen both and been in both.

So, the question is, for the record...Has there ever been a Snow Tornado? Have you seen one and If you have, do you have pictures?
--
We fold for cures. The Heart Beat Of The Planet Is Here. Earth Log II »earthlogii.blogspot.com/

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
I dunno..
Never seen one, but I have seen a few water-spouts,(tornado over water). Seen "dust-Devils" the size of small tornadoes in Nevada and New Mexico...

I don't believe the cold associated with a snow event, would be conducive to forming a tornado..All the things required for one to form, just ain't there.
--
For my Mom

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to ghostpainter
I saw one in the first episode of Sliders, does that count?

Haven't seen one in real life yet, but who knows?
--
Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.
"Tofu is the love child of Styrofoam and Jell-O"!

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to ghostpainter
I have a friend at the National Weather Service, I will ask him next time I see him...

MENINBLK
Premium
join:2000-01-25
Yonkers, NY
reply to ghostpainter
I do not know the 'Official' name for it but I have experienced a Thunder Storm with SNOW,
and Lightning during a Snow Storm.

There has to be a name for the phenomina, since it happens in COLD temperatures
and not the average temperature of your everyday Thunderstorm / Lightning Storm.

Pete...
--
Nevermind what the sign says...It says I'm AWAY, but I'm HERE FOR YA !

Pin
Premium
join:2002-06-19
The Dungeon
reply to ghostpainter
Possibly!
Link

--
time nor tide wait for no man...

Axilla
Finger, Finger
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI
reply to ghostpainter
We had one in late October this last year, which is pretty rare considering what the temps are that time of year.

As far as one during winter it is possible, but highly unlikely, the right conditions would almost never exist for a mesocyclone to form.
--
10.84Ghz FOLDING

MENINBLK
Premium
Yonkers, NY
reply to Pin
said by Pin:

Possibly!
Link
I posted about a Snow Thunderstorm.
Lets see what John's answer is.
--

georgequ
Premium
join:2003-05-10
Painesville, OH
Our local weather man calls it "thunder-snow" and it not all that uncommon here in NE Ohio. It is almost always accompanied by lightning.
--
I stopped by, looked around,and decided to stay awhile.

marcelle19
cross
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-02
Phelan, CA
kudos:1
reply to Axilla
said by Axilla:

We had one in late October this last year, which is pretty rare considering what the temps are that time of year.

As far as one during winter it is possible, but highly unlikely, the right conditions would almost never exist for a ...mesocyclone... to form.
Show Off!!!
--
Some people think they gain through dishonest means, never realizing that in lying, cheating, and other dishonesty, they are losing pieces of themselves, which they can never recover. SPECIAL

MENINBLK
Premium
Yonkers, NY

1 edit
reply to georgequ
MENINBLK-

A thunderstorm in winter that produces snow can occur and while it may not be common, is not that rare either. I have experienced it twice. It is called thundersnow.

However, a severe thunderstorm that produces a tornado would be next to impossible and I do not believe it has ever officially been reported.

-John
This was John's answer.

Pete...
--
Nevermind what the sign says...
It says I'm AWAY, but I'm HERE FOR YA !

z9_87
Ill - Ini
Premium
join:2001-09-23
Urbana, IL
like that guy john said actual tornados are probably rare, but I have seen a good sized "snow-devil".
--
Bandwidth is good, latency rocks!

MENINBLK
Premium
Yonkers, NY
said by z9_87:

like that guy john said actual tornados are probably rare, but I have seen a good sized "snow-devil".
I've seen lots of dust devils in North Carolina.
Its funny how they just start up out of nowhere
and run up and down the road.
Makes me think of the Tasmanian Devil cartoons.

Pete...
--