spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Authority
join:2000-03-29
Los Angeles, CA

4 edits

Authority

$19.95 for *all* customers (no LD plan needed)

Hey kids - just spoke with SBC and got my plan re-rated to the $19.95 plan. They will re-rate any customer, even if you're under contract, to the $19.95 rate but ONLY IF YOU ASK. The long distance product is NOT required to get the $19.95 rate.

This is a total no-brainer and it ends March 31st so call today. Interestingly, new customers can get this rate only by signing up on-line. Existing customers however get it if they ask for it.

UPDATE: You have to get transfered to "DSL Retention" to get this, you may have to hint that you'll cancel to get transfered to the person that can actually re-rate.

pacbellsbc
@dsl.pltn13.pacbell.n

pacbellsbc

Anon

Hey Brett,

Can you explain what you mean by :

You have to get transfered to "DSL Retention" to get this, you may have to hint that you'll cancel to get transfered to the person that can actually re-rate.

I quite didn't understand all of that. Thanks for the tip.

Authority
Los Angeles, CA

Authority

Only the customer retention people are authorized to change the rate, not the first level customer service people. They don't automatically change your rate, you have to say something like "I was thinking of canceling my contract" or "I want to renew at the lower rate of $19.95 you're advertising". From what I was told this is wide oepn, they're not giving people a hard time, though if they get a flood of calls (as they should) that might change.
Authority

Authority

Anyone besides me made this change? I was at the $26.95 plan, so this is savings of over $80 per year. Amazingly some people are still on the $49.95 plan (at this speed tier). Call your parents, call your friends, get everyone on SBC at this killer rate. They're taking a risk that by pricing their service this low that they'll pick up a lot of market share... let's encourage this!
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi

Premium Member

said by Authority:

Anyone besides me made this change?
Yeah, lots of people in this thread...
»Rumor: SBC lowering prices

Authority
Los Angeles, CA

Authority

said by tonydi:

said by Authority:

Anyone besides me made this change?
Yeah, lots of people in this thread...
»Rumor: SBC lowering prices
Ah you're right... oh well it ends soon so good time to kick it out there again. I think a lot of people probably still think a) you need the LD plan or b) that it's only for new customers.
holmantp
join:2003-12-20
Rosamond, CA

holmantp

Hi, Yesterday i checked into the lower price for the Pro plan. Called the number the site told me to call. Asked about getting re-rated. The person went and checked something or with someone, but when he returned, was told not possible.

I asked for the Retention number, called it and after about 5 mins reached a person. She re-rated me to the 29.99 price. Was on the 39.99 price.

She also told me to always call that number since I was a active DSL costumer, call for any SBC product or service.

If you want the number pls IM me. AS I am not sure how public the number should be.

Thanks.

Authority
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

Authority

said by holmantp:

Hi, Yesterday i checked into the lower price for the Pro plan.
I thought about the faster speed, and it's a good deal, but frankly it's not that great a deal to warrant buying more bandwidth than I really need. Latency is the same so it's no better for gaming. The only advantage would be for Bit Torrent. If it were 6000/768 I'd probably do it, but even then it's more than I need.

mgullick
join:2001-03-24
Chico, CA

mgullick

I haven't heard of the 19.99 plan but I just called today and got my $29.99 plan changed and got a speed upgrade so I'm still pretty happy.
holmantp
Rosamond, CA

holmantp

Hi, for those that IM'ed me for the number, I just sent you a new IM with a revised number, sorry but I was off by one number.:(

Authority
Los Angeles, CA

Authority

LAST DAYS. Everyone bug your friends and neighbors to jump on this. $19.95?? LESS than AOL dial-up?!?

This is especially something we should get older folks on.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Authority

Premium Member

to Authority
Already did my re-rate a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting to see the bill at how much of a savings it will be to budget.
Lordstingray
join:2004-05-27
San Francisco, CA

Lordstingray to Authority

to Authority
I finally got re-rated for the Pro plan
for 29.99 today. :D

I was about to give up because no-one was
picking up the phone in DSL retention for
20 minutes. I then recalled back and when
I choose "change service" and I figured what
the heck, I'll try if this person will re-rate me,
(without going to DSL retention) To my surprise
this kind person agreed to re-rate me on the spot.

A bit OT: When the person was updating my account
we started chatting about other services, and the
person mentioned SBC VoIP service to begin early 2006.
Could this part of SBC's FTTN project?
EnTRANCEd
join:2003-02-04
Dublin, CA

EnTRANCEd

i was checking my services on the SBC site and this surprised me.

Downstream Speed: 1.5 Mbps - 4.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed: 384 Kbps

i don't remember hearing anything from them about changing my rates any. i have the Pro plan and i thought the advertised speeds were:

Download Speed: 1.5-3.0Mbps
Upstream Speed: 384-512Kbps
glc650
join:2000-11-19

glc650

said by EnTRANCEd:

i was checking my services on the SBC site and this surprised me.

Downstream Speed: 1.5 Mbps - 4.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed: 384 Kbps

i don't remember hearing anything from them about changing my rates any. i have the Pro plan and i thought the advertised speeds were:

Download Speed: 1.5-3.0Mbps
Upstream Speed: 384-512Kbps
Where on the SBC site?
holmantp
Rosamond, CA

holmantp to EnTRANCEd

to EnTRANCEd
I cam across the same info, but see the upload speed isn't what we have now.

I believe on the same page, it that info might not be current.
EnTRANCEd
join:2003-02-04
Dublin, CA

EnTRANCEd to glc650

to glc650
the same SBC site that i use to pay my bills online. i just clicked on my services.

www.sbc.com
vienge
join:2004-02-04
Salinas, CA

vienge to Authority

to Authority
Couldn't get the rerate because I'm on the now dead Expert+ package which gives me 1.5-6.0/384-512 and I'd rather have that than the Pro. Ah well.
lemonade1
join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

lemonade1 to Authority

to Authority
i am having the 1.5Mbps plan and paying $26.95 under a year contract right now, just called SBC to see if they can re-rate my plan to $19.95 . the customer representitive said he could only upgrade my speed to 1.5-3.0 Mbps but can't lower my monthly rate ... i thought the re-rate is available to all customer even to those under a year contract....

Authority
Los Angeles, CA

Authority

said by lemonade1:

i am having the 1.5Mbps plan and paying $26.95 under a year contract right now
They lied - call back. They will give you the new rate if you renew the contract.
vanman2
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

vanman2 to holmantp

to holmantp
Hey Tim, for those of us who don't IM but are good loyal longtime SBC customers could you just post the number and/or explain where/how YOU got it?

thanks,Van
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi

Premium Member

The number he used is 800-579-7861. It was actually posted by another forum member in the "Rumor..." thread before Tim came up with it on his own.
holmantp
Rosamond, CA

holmantp to vanman2

to vanman2
said by vanman2:

explain where/how YOU got it?

thanks,Van
Hi Van, I called the normal number and reached a CSR, who also had to ask someone else, and still said I wasn't able to change the monthly cost.

I asked for the Retention number and was given 714-339-7529, after about 5 mins. I reached a nice person who was able to help me get the 29:99 rate.

I then asked if there was a toll free number,she gave me the 800-579-7861 (it's out of the bag now ). She asked what number I used and sounded a bit surprised that it worked. She told me to use the number she gave me.

And it seems a few of you have made good use of the number. So the few cents it cost me for the long distance call was well worth it.

Hope all that want to are able to re-rated.
vanman2
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

vanman2

Thanks to both of you (tonydi & holmantp)for your help .I have the pro plan since april '04 @$39.95/month and am now about to call get it for $29.95. you guys and guys like you guys make this site an awesome resource !

ss7
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

ss7 to Authority

Anon

to Authority
Called the 800 number in this post and asked for the 19.95. CSR said I needed the All Distance package. I said I don't think so - please connect me to DSL Retention. She wondered where I heard of DSL retention and asked if I was an employee (which I am not), or was I thinking of cancelling. I said I was thinking about it. She then connected me to Retention and repeated my request for 19.95. The Retention CSR said no problem, she would take care of it right now. Just make sure they don't jack you around - ask for DSL Retention.

drsauced
@dsl.snfc21.pacbell.n

drsauced

Anon

I'm one of the strange few who are paying $50 for regular 1.5/384, but I've also got a static IP. It's been rock solid. So I kinda forgot about it. I called the nice SBC people, they were very helpful I gotta say, but should I dump the static IP and get the pro package?

It's twice as fast, almost half the cost, but I lose my coveted class C IP. There weren't any Grandfather deals of any kind for my type of package, so I wasn't able to get the re-rate deal.

Suggestions? Am I overly attatched to my IP?
holmantp
Rosamond, CA

holmantp

said by drsauced:

Suggestions? Am I overly attatched to my IP?
Do you use any software that requires the static IP address? That's what it comes down to. If you don't, then upgrading your speed while downgrading the cost would seem the best thing to do.

BUT!!!! you may also have a different type of connection that will require a new/replacement modem.
Does your computer support PPPoE?

How long have you had this static IP?

You may need to reg. on the site, then make a request in the SBC Direct forum for a PreQual to see if you line will support 3M and if it will require any changes in equipment to work.

Either way, good luck.

drsauced
@dsl.snfc21.pacbell.n

drsauced

Anon

Hey, thanks for the reply. The Nice Mr. Guy at SBC said that the Alcatel 1000 I've got will work fine for the 3m speed, and the line was fine, so no worries there. He did admit he wasn't "the most technically inclined..."

So, I took the deal. My static IP goes Dodo in 4 days. Snif.

Nope, I don't use the software, I've got a NAT firewall between me and the great unwashed. I was trying to remember how long it's been... I had a brand spankin' new P2-400 to hook it up to... my God, 7 years?
Al1776
join:2004-04-28
Fair Oaks, CA

Al1776 to holmantp

to holmantp
=============
I asked for the Retention number and was given 714-339-7529, after about 5 mins. I reached a nice person who was able to help me get the 29:99 rate.

I then asked if there was a toll free number,she gave me the 800-579-7861
=============

Just got off the phone (from above number) with a very good CSR in San Diego (named Joan) who was able to give me the 3 mb rate for 4 cents more than I pay now (29.95 ----> 29.99). No hassle, very polite, knew her stuff, etc. I asked her about DSL Retention and she said they ususally handle cancellations and that the number I called is the main DSL "headquarters" for SBC/PacBell.

This is a perfect case of having USA English speaking people who have been with the company for a while (she's been there 4 years) who know what they are doing. Renewing was easy and pleasant... they way it should be.

Al C.

TOTC
I only exist to make you cry
Premium Member
join:2001-05-16
Van Nuys, CA

1 edit

TOTC

Premium Member

Thanks called just right now, took like 6 minutes for someone to answer. Gave them my info and he said he could do it for me. Took 2 more minutes and it was done.
29.99 for 12 more months