share rss forum feed

Kakalaky
Premium
join:2003-04-04
Broken Arrow, OK
kudos:1

2 edits

px-716sa sata dvd-rw drive [solved]

Anybody know how to get a sata optical drive working in fedora core 3?

EDIT: I think I need to enable sata atapi, but I have know idea how.

rolfp

join:2001-09-12
Oakland, CA

How so [solved]? You had my hopes up

I've got the Plextor PX-712SA and have been beating my head against the wall trying to get it to work through the sil 3112a onboard sata controller of my Asus 87N8X-E Deluxe. Works fine in Win XP®

I came across references to 'enable sata atapi' as a solution for some but I don't know what other variable (motherboard, chipset, bios, onboard vs. pci....) makes this not work for me. I suspect you have this already enabled, if you check in your kernel source in /usr/src/linux[-version]/include/linux/libata.h around line 40:

#undef ATA_FORCE_PIO /* do not configure or use DMA */
#undef ATA_DEBUG /* debugging output */
#undef ATA_VERBOSE_DEBUG /* yet more debugging output */
#undef ATA_IRQ_TRAP /* define to ack screaming irqs */
#undef ATA_NDEBUG /* define to disable quick runtime checks */
#define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */
#define ATA_ENABLE_PATA /* define to enable PATA support in some
* low-level drivers */
#undef ATAPI_ENABLE_DMADIR /* enables ATAPI DMADIR bridge support */

As I understand it, that line, #define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI, was, until not too long ago, #undefine ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI and one was supposed to enable this support by using #define, then compiling the kernel. I have found that, for Mandrake, anyway, this support is compiled in for some time, yet my burner will not work, with lost interrupt and this sort of error:
kernel: ata2: command 0xa0 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stat 0x0

k3b or cdrecord take a long time and eventually fail.

I have seen at least one success story with the Silicon Image 3114 chipset »sanguine.nothovel.net/cgi-bin/bl···comments and my last hope is that this or the, perhaps, better supported intel ICH[67] chipset would work. »www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Kakalaky
Premium
Broken Arrow, OK

All I had to do was change that line to defined and it worked. Sorry I couln't help more.

rolfp

Oakland, CA

Is your sata controller onboard the mobo or a pci card? What is the chipset of the controller; what is the mobo? Thanks.

Kakalaky
Premium
Broken Arrow, OK

1 edit

Its on the mobo. a8n-sli deluxe mobo with the dvd on the nforce 4's controller.

rolfp

Oakland, CA

I see the nforce controller supports JBOD, whereas the Silicon Image 3114 does not and all the other chipsets I have looked at do not expressly state that. However, the burner works on sil 3112a in XP. Thanks again.