Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Woodbury, CT

1 recommendation

SirSteve

Premium Member

98 & Me users: a re-issue of KB891711

[...from the MS newsgroups]
[Crossposted to Security, Security. Homeusers, Win98 General, WinME General, Win98 Windows Update, and Windows Update newsgroups for maximum exposure. Please eliminate needless crossposting when replying to this message.]

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-002: Vulnerability in Cursor and Icon Format Handling Could Allow Remote Code Execution (891711): »www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 002.mspx

Why was this security bulletin updated on April 12, 2005?

After the release of the MS05-002 security bulletin, Microsoft became aware of an issue affecting customers deploying the Windows 98, 98SE and ME security update. In most cases, the issue caused machines to unexpectedly
restart.

Microsoft has investigated this issue and has made available revised security updates for these platforms. These revised security updates are available from Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center. Customers who have not yet applied the original version of these updates should visit Windows Update to receive the revised updates.

[NB:] Customers who have already applied the original Windows 98, 98SE and ME security update are advised to install the current revision of the update from Windows Update.

Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are addressed in this security bulletin?

Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition are critically affected by this vulnerability. A Critical security update for these platforms is available and is provided as part of this security bulletin and can be downloaded /only/ from the Windows Update Web site.
[Emphasis added]

Thanks to all those who called MS at 1-866-PCSAFETY about the bug in 891711 as released in Feb-05. Your documentation of the problems caused by 891711 played a major role in getting them fixed.

AFAIK KB891711 should no longer load at Startup and display as a running
Process.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
Zak_
join:2003-03-26

Zak_

Just checked following update today and found that KB891711 is in Start Up and it is also a running process. It can also be found in Add/Remove software.

However, KB891711 running process does not show up when viewing running tasks via Ctrl+Alt+Del. I use EndItAll to view running tasks and that shows it up.

So far I have had no issues with the revised update and all appears to be running smoothly. Previous update caused BSOD.

SirSteve
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Woodbury, CT

SirSteve

Premium Member

Just updated with the new KB891711 and no issues. It also is no-longer a start-up process (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
Zak_
join:2003-03-26

Zak_

If you check by running msconfig, System Configuration Utility, Startup tab - it will be there, at least it is on my Win98se box.

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

1 edit

dp

MVM

said by Zak_:

If you check by running msconfig, System Configuration Utility, Startup tab - it will be there, at least it is on my Win98se box.
Yes, it is running as a service.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
falcon04
join:2005-03-03

falcon04

Downloaded and installed.

600mhz PIII 512M Ram 98se

System slowed to crawl - no crash, installed as service, not a running process, but s l o w.

Uninstalled - back to normal.

This is a cludge.

dp
MVM
Greensburg, PA

dp

MVM

said by falcon04:

Downloaded and installed.

600mhz PIII 512M Ram 98se

System slowed to crawl - no crash, installed as service, not a running process, but s l o w.

Uninstalled - back to normal.

This is a cludge.
Anyone else notice a slowdown after applying this update (KB891711)?

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut

Premium Member

No, everything seems as before for me. HP 98SE Laptop AMD 550Mhz, 192 Mb RAM
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

SUMware2 to dp

Premium Member

to dp
My 733MHz P3 256MB Win98SE box running at normal speed.

However, it seems that on a very few sites some .jpgs are not being displayed as they were prior to patch install. Just blank areas where they should be (no red X's). Am investigating further.

Want to run this patch for a while to see if anything else is possibly amiss.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni to dp

MVM

to dp
No noticeable slowdown.

Cudni
SUMware2
Premium Member

1 recommendation

SUMware2

Premium Member

said by SUMware2:

However, it seems that on a very few sites some .jpgs are not being displayed as they were prior to patch install. Just blank areas where they should be (no red X's). Am investigating further.
I've spent the entire evening investigating and checking. Anyway, after all these hours of steady research I found that the problem was not the patch.

It resulted from adding user_pref("network.http.sendRefererHeader", 1); to my Firefox user.js file. This was designed to add another layer of referer control. It did. But it prevented the accurate linking to & rendering of certain website's page components. I finally figured out this brilliant self-created situation by viewing the deformed sites using IE, and they rendered fine. So deduced that the errors were not caused by OS. The problem disappeared after deleting this one short humble line (that I'd added about 12 hours ago) from FF.

Hours upon hours of trial & error testing that resulted in an accidental moment of realized "stupid user error".

KB891711 functioning well. User is not. Good night.

dp
MVM
Greensburg, PA

dp to SirSteve

MVM

to SirSteve
Thanks HA Nut See Profile, SUMware2 See Profile and Cudni See Profile, I didn't notice any slowdowns either.
falcon04
join:2005-03-03

falcon04 to SirSteve

to SirSteve
My slowdown could very well be from a "running" software conflict - AVG, SPF, WinPatrol, FastCache, InCD, Spamihilator, TypeItIn, SpywareGuard, Wallwatcher ???. Slowdown applied to web site loading, sending E-mails, etc.

I have a very fast cable connection and a LinkSys BEFSX41 Router - the slowdown was to 10 % of the former speed - with obvious hesitation at every step - I assume the patch is "filtering" all activity.

One other symptom I noticed was that the "cursor hover" over an option box, such as for "view > toolbars" would not pop-up the sub-box for the various options - I had to click on "toolbars", for example, to get the pop-up box. This applied to SPF as well.

I've dumped the patch for now - I'll watch and see what's reported.

brydry
...it's meat-cake
join:2004-12-05
Clearwater, FL

brydry to SUMware2

to SUMware2
hey nieghbore...
Remember this? If it works don't fix it!
SUMware2
Premium Member

SUMware2

Premium Member

Bonjour!

Sometimes you don't know that it's working until you break it. LOL.

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON

Wildcatboy

Mod

(topic move) Problems with KB891711

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »Problems with KB891711

bobd1950
Homer
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Pine Brook, NJ

bobd1950 to SirSteve

Premium Member

to SirSteve

Re: 98 & Me users: a re-issue of KB891711

dont bother..I have ME....after the 3rd try MSupdates..they can go to h,,MS