uniqs

heelyeah
Premium Member
join:2004-02-11
Raleigh, NC

heelyeah

Premium Member

Limited Account for Security

I use a limited account for security reasons while surfing the net but my printer only works on the Admin account. Anyone know why this is? Thanks
ReyoxCTO
join:2005-04-17
Jacksonville, FL

ReyoxCTO

When you initially installed the printer, did you enable it for all users or just the account you were on at the moment?

PavTheMan
join:2002-05-10
UK

PavTheMan

Did you also try to install it on the Limited Account?

Daniel
MVM
join:2000-06-26
San Francisco, CA

Daniel to heelyeah

MVM

to heelyeah
Yes, definitely install, configure, enable, etc. everything you want to use under a limited account while in that limited account.

Installing as an admin and then trying to use as a limited user is usually going to cause issues.
Tom Mc
join:2004-06-17

Tom Mc to heelyeah

to heelyeah
I have experienced the inability to use the printer from a limited user account, UNLESS the printer is on when logging in to the account. The only resolution I am aware of is to either change to a printer without this problem (I changed printers with my wife) or make sure the printer is on before logging in (I think I may have once seen where the printer may have had to be on before booting, but I'm not sure if my memory is correct on this).

gracie7
Geek Goddess
Premium Member
join:2003-07-15
confusion

1 recommendation

gracie7 to heelyeah

Premium Member

to heelyeah
my favorite resource for all things related to running as limited user and its accompanying annoyances is aaron margosis' blog at »blogs.msdn.com/aaron_mar ··· ult.aspx

and coincidentally, today's entry (on using tweak UI to allow limited users to manage print shares) might be related to your issue (though possibly not---but there will be SOMETHING in the archives, for sure, related.)

hth!

heelyeah
Premium Member
join:2004-02-11
Raleigh, NC

heelyeah

Premium Member

No matter what I do, I cant get this printer to work on a limited account. This doesn't make sense to me.
heelyeah

heelyeah to PavTheMan

Premium Member

to PavTheMan
You cant install on a limited account. Need to be on Admin account to install hardware.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to heelyeah

Premium Member

to heelyeah

Limited account and printer

I've not been able to set up a direct attached (USB or Parallel) printer under limited account in XP Pro. I use admin to install and it shows up for all users. I once had a problem with a printer so deleted the printer, powered off, rebooted and recreated it. That solved the problem.

One thing I noticed in the nice link gracie7 See Profile provided - there seems to be some issues with user names with spaces. I always use profiles of 8 characters or less - last name + initial and a number if there is more than one person with same last name and first initial. ex. smithsoj, smithsj1.
That way it's easier to set up multiple platform signons where spaces aren't supported. Same with printer names. Some platforms don't support spaces, some do.

It's a habit from my mainframe/midrange heritage. It may be handy as home/SOHO nets progress to multisystem environments

jansson_mark
Markus Jansson
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Finland

1 recommendation

jansson_mark to heelyeah

Premium Member

to heelyeah

Re: Limited Account for Security

Click for full size
said by heelyeah:

I use a limited account for security reasons while surfing the net but my printer only works on the Admin account.
Maybe this?