share rss forum feed

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7

[EMAIL] Is mail.pacbell.net down?

I am a legacy customer and trying to send some email, but I am getting errors on my outgoing email. I am getting multiple SMTP errors that say either there's no connection to the outgoing server, or the connection timed out. Just started today from what I can gather and I've rebooted the PC and closed and reopened the client multiple times.

I'm using Outlook 2k3 on XP Pro SP2.

It's been literally years since the last time I can remember an email issue. Is there any other outgoing SMTP Server I can use until I can get this resolved?

Also, is there a list for future reference of all the mailservers for SBC that I can reference to prevent my needing to post about this if it happens again?

Thanks

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

You can set your smtp server to "smtpauth.sbcglobal.net", and configure for authentication. If you have done the yahoo "upgrade", you can also use smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Logan 5

I'm a legacy customer who is (was) happy with SBC's decision to leave us Pacbell people alone....until now.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Logan 5

ok...here's the deal.

I've made some slight progress, but still a no-go.

I've changed the default SMTP port from 25 to 21, and now I can connect to mail.pacbell.net but the server doesn't respond. I also tried to telnet to mail.pacbell.net but It is refusing connections. I've also opened the ports up in my firewall and given Outlook.exe full rights to access the internet on all ports but it still refuses to connect...

Please take a look at my screenshots above and see if there's anything else left to try..

Thanks

Riss_Centaur
Mod'taur - - - - 4 On The Floor.
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-07
join:2004-01-20
Chicago, IL

Errr... port 21 is FTP. I doubt a MTA is going to answer there. When SBC messed up the Ameritech/Yahoo mail server farm last week on port 25 a bunch of folks jumped up to the other email submission Port 587/tcp and it worked. Give 587 a try. Cant hurt.
-Riss
--
I have a plan so cunning you can pin a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Logan 5

Here's the account settings, keeping in mind that I am a legacy customer and do not go through yahoo servers for anything, and that until just a few days ago, with nothing being changed on my end, I lost the ability to send email.

Weird thing is I receive it perfectly, just no longer can send any..

Even substituting 207.115.57.20 for mail.pacbell.net does nothing so I doubt that it's a DNS issue (at least on my end anyway)

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Logan 5

Changing from port 21 to port 587 gives the following error.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

Could THIS be the reason why I cant connect, even though I'm legacy and not yahoo/sbcglobal??

»[Availability] E-mail problems resolved

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Your Outlook setting show that you are using port 21 where it should be port 25.

Your sygate settings show that you are allowing ports 21, 23, 80, 465. Does that mean that you are blocking port 25?

Incidently, I have no difficulty connecting to port 25 on mail.pacbell.net, and that is from ameritech territory.

Riss_Centaur
Chicago, IL
reply to Logan 5

I did a little more poking around and not only is MAIL.PACBELL.NET there on port 25, but I can send thtough it from my sbc/ameritech/yahoo DSL IP.... Here is a test via SamSpade:

04/19/05 23:12:59 SMTP Relay Check @ mail.pacbell.net
Contacting 207.115.57.20
220 pimout7-ext.prodigy.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10 milter /8.12.10; Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:25:40 -0400

HELO mail.pacbell.net
250 pimout7-ext.prodigy.net Hello adsl-69-209-x-x.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net [69.209.x.x], pleased to meet you

MAIL FROM:
250 2.1.0 ... Sender ok

RCPT TO:
250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok

DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

To: me@myself.org
Subject: mail.pacbell.net relay check
250 2.0.0 j3K4Pe8L288182 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 2.0.0 pimout7-ext.prodigy.net closing connection

So, the SMTP Server is there and working... I would try turning off your Outgoing virus checkers and triplechecking your firewall settings. If you want to try a check with Sam Spade you can download a copy here: »www.samspade.org/ssw/ It does 101 network tests.
-Riss
--

stevethedude

join:2000-09-20
Montara, CA
reply to Logan 5

I'm having problems delivering email to various addresses. Using Eudora, I get a 10054 error when trying to send to one account - another just gives up with an authentication error. I haven't changed any of my settings. Very messed up, and I don't understand why I have to deal with re-learning my settings and tweaking them again in order just to have email functionality! Argh.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to nwrickert

I've tried it both ways.

Here are the errors with port 25 enabled.

Riss_Centaur
Chicago, IL

Are you using any virus checkers that check the outgoing email?
What is the status of XP's built in firewall?
-Riss
--

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

said by Riss_Centaur:

-Riss
With Kaspersky turned off and XP Firewall disabled, the exact same thing happens....

Riss_Centaur
Chicago, IL

said by Logan 5:

said by Riss_Centaur:

-Riss
With Kaspersky turned off and XP Firewall disabled, the exact same thing happens....
Well fudgecycles... Hmmmmm.
Im still not sure why the errors are complaining about SSL errors... Is there a setting to tell Outlook to not use SSL, and just use straight port 25... lets see if we can get that working first.

Also, the only other thing I can think of at the moment is to get SamSpade, and under its TOOLS menu is the SMTP test routine I used above... see if you can get that to send a test message from the machine, that will at least give us a little more info.
-Riss
--

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Logan 5

Am downloading SamSpade and will act on your other suggestions.

Be back in a bit...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to Logan 5

said by Logan 5:

I've tried it both ways.

Here are the errors with port 25 enabled.
Weird. I noticed that you had truncated to your user name. I just sent a test message through mail.pacbell.net with only the username part of the email address. It flew through. TCP port 25. I know that I am blocked on port 25 by SBC...

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'SMTP Test', Server: 'mail.gmx.net', Pro tocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Yep, still blocked to off-SBC servers through port 25. Yet my test mail sailed through:

Return-path:
Received: from ylpvm29.prodigy.net (207.115.57.60) by aosake.net (Mercury/32 v4.01b) with ESMTP ID MG000003;
19 Apr 2005 22:05:27 -0700
Received: from pimout6-ext.prodigy.net (pimout6-ext.prodigy.net [207.115.63.78])
by ylpvm29.prodigy.net (8.12.10 outbound/8.12.10) with ESMTP id j3K54iD5031291
for ; Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:04:44 -0400
X-ORBL: [67.116.49.23]
Received: from megumi (adsl-67-116-49-23.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net [67.116.49.23])
by pimout6-ext.prodigy.net (8.12.10 milter /8.12.10) with SMTP id j3K55JbG101746
for ; Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:05:19 -0400
Message-ID:
To:
Subject: Testing the legacy SMTP server.
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:05:12 -0700
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000A_01C5452B.DBA103C0"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1478
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1478
X-CC-Diagnostic: pacbell.net (2)

You have an issue, but it is either a weird SBC issue, or a local issue. OIC! Why don't yo u have the mail.pacbell.net IP address in your Sygate firewall as a trusted IP address? I could never get email through to mail.pacbell.net with Kerio Personal Firewall running, wi thout adding "207.115.57.20" to the trusted list! Sam Spade says:

04/19/05 22:16:59 dns mail.pacbell.net
Canonical name: mail.pacbell.net
Addresses:

Try adding that IP address to your trusted list in Sygate.

--
Norman
~A deam, dream, no dream
~Voices of the night go across the forest
~A drea m, dream, no dream
~Good night my good child

[Mod Note: Post edited to prevent margin blowout, skj]

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

Well, the reason I've never added the IP address for mail.pacbell.net is because I've never needed to because as I said above, this has worked perfectly for years up until a few days ago, and I have changed nothing.

I will add the IP for mail.pacbell.net to Sygate, but at this point, I'm pretty confident that it won't help any....:(

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Riss_Centaur

said by Riss_Centaur:

said by Logan 5:

said by Riss_Centaur:

-Riss
Well fudgecycles... Hmmmmm.
Im still not sure why the errors are complaining about SSL errors... Is there a setting to tell Outlook to not use SSL, and just use straight port 25... lets see if we can get that working first.

Also, the only other thing I can think of at the moment is to get SamSpade, and under its TOOLS menu is the SMTP test routine I used above... see if you can get that to send a test message from the machine, that will at least give us a little more info.
-Riss
Downloaded and installed SamSpade and under the TOOLS menu, the SMTP test is greyed out....

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Logan 5

said by Logan 5:

Well, the reason I've never added the IP address for mail.pacbell.net is because I've never needed to because as I said above, this has worked perfectly for years up until a few days ago, and I have changed nothing.

I will add the IP for mail.pacbell.net to Sygate, but at this point, I'm pretty confident that it won't help any....:(
I am running out of ideas, here! In MSOE, on the Maintenance tab of Tools > Options; put a check in the "Mail" box, run a test message by the server, and post the resulting log. You should remember to remove the check when you are done testing, or you will get a humongous test log!
--
Norman
~A deam, dream, no dream
~A dream, dream, no dream

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

said by NormanS:

I am running out of ideas, here! In MSOE, on the Maintenance tab of Tools > Options; put a check in the "Mail" box, run a test message by the server, and post the resulting log. You should remember to remove the check when you are done testing, or you will get a humongous test log!
I use Outlook 2003, not Outlook Express.

Riss_Centaur
Chicago, IL

1 edit
reply to Logan 5

said by Logan 5:

Downloaded and installed SamSpade and under the TOOLS menu, the SMTP test is greyed out....
Put the name of the server you want to check (MAIL.PACBELL.NET ) in that text box there just below the menu choices. Thats the one thing about SamSpade, they didnt mark that box clearly... thats where you put the name or the IP address of the thing you want to check.
Once you put something in that box it should ungrey the buttons. You may also need to fill in the DNS resolver you want to use in the righthand box if there isnt one there.
-Riss
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Logan 5

said by Logan 5:

said by NormanS:

Fair enough; that is why I specified MSOE. Still, I find it hard to believe that MSFT does not include a comparable diagnostic tool in their premium mail client (you get Outlook 2003 in Office 2003, yes? Or just pay for it in a stand alone package?) that they include in their free lesser sister, Outlook Express.
--
Norman
~A deam, dream, no dream
~A dream, dream, no dream

garyvand

join:2002-07-24
Napa, CA

1 edit
reply to Logan 5

said by Logan 5:

So? If you have Windows you'll also have Outlook Express (OE). OE has much better error reporting and test tools than Outlook. I promise, it won't hurt to use OE for a test.

tonydi
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA
reply to Logan 5

said by Logan 5:

No need to use OE, Outlook has the same capability. Here's how to set it up....
»support.microsoft.com/?kbid=300479

Tech-2005

@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n
reply to Logan 5

You have probably heard this suggestion before but you should just bite the bullet and upgrade your accounts onto the yahoo servers. It's easy, it works well, the Yahoo servers have better email spam filtering and more email options. I know how difficult it is to leave the old pacbell account behind once and for all but believe me you should not notice any degradation in service. You will however have to set up all the POP accounts in Outlook or O.E. to log on to the server to send or receive and you will have to enter the yahoo/SBC servers in. On the positive side. The SBC/Yahoo mail is allot more secure against attacks. It is just a matter of time before SBC shuts down those old email servers and forces everyone to go with Yahoo based accounts. One big tip as you know already, if you use the yahoo/SBC upgrade software, load the very bare minimum that is needed to upgrade the account to yahoo or simply manually log into the upgrade servers to do the change over just as it has been described many times on BBR past posts.

lsigman

join:2005-04-14
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Logan 5

I endorse the response from nwrickert. I had my first problem with outgoing mail on my 4th anniversary with pacbell.net. The problem was resolved quickly by changing SMTP servers. The next 2 months it happened 3 times. I don't know of an SMTP server list, but simply calling SBC DSL tech support (or using on-line chat)will provide much aggravation and ultimately, a new server to connect to.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Riss_Centaur

Click for full size
said by Riss_Centaur:

Put the name of the server you want to check (MAIL.PACBELL.NET ) in that text box there just below the menu choices. Thats the one thing about SamSpade, they didnt mark that box clearly... thats where you put the name or the IP address of the thing you want to check.
Once you put something in that box it should ungrey the buttons. You may also need to fill in the DNS resolver you want to use in the righthand box if there isnt one there.
-Riss
Did that and if you look at my screenshots you will see that all the SMTP choices are still greyed out...I also added an advanced rule in my firewall that allows traffic on ports 21,25,80,465 full access. This rule is supposed to supercede any other rules, but Outlook still doesn't want to send through mail.pacbell.net.

HOWEVER, I added my BBR email account to Outlook and it sends just fine, (I have 5 or 6 test emails) so I think that all the help and guidance while appreciated, will not fix anything because I really beleive now that this is a PACBELL issue not anything on my end.

Remember, I started this thread by saying that up until a few days ago everything was working perfectly without my changing anything.....now it's broken and all signs are appearing to point directly at SBC......

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

attempting to help and the only thing I can think of currently and have not seen it yet, nwrickert mentioned it but did you opt out of port 25?

I asked a few trusted contacts on the ISP side if they have had any problems reported with mail.pacbell.net and they have reported back to me (all of them) with an answer of no.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this. My 2005 ford Escape and general dealership experience

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Logan 5

I don't beleive I ever received anything in the mail or an email asking me to opt out of anything, it's been just fine until within the last week or so.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the exact date when things changed because I am receiving more then I send, and the reception continues to work perfectly.

Thanks for trying Beach Boy and if you can show me where to opt out of port 25 blocking, I'd appreciate it.