uniqs
dysphunktion
join:2003-11-06
Grants, NM

dysphunktion

Make the double NAT nightmare go away!

Ok, here we go!

701+BEFSR41v3=Double Nat.

I've tried to disable NAT via the 701 but am told that I need to setup a static route otherwise it won't work (which it doesnt.) So I check the Static route page and and it asks for Subnet IP Subnet Mask Gateway IP which, I don't know. So I call up Qwest and they tell me they don't support disabling NAT and thus, won't give me the needed numbers. I call up actiontec and they refer me to Qwest, too typical. So here I am, where the real gurus dwell.

Before I go any further, I am doing all this because I was told I need to get rid of nat on the modem in order for port fowarding to work. Trying to get BT ports forwarded.

Also, I'm quite the newb when it comes to this so any suggestions or help needs to be dumbed down and step-by-stepped.

I believe thats all the information you guys will need currently to get some dialogue going on this...
Thanks in advance!
dieman
Premium Member
join:2002-08-02
Minneapolis, MN

dieman

Premium Member

2 Options:

- PPPOE, lose some peformance, might not work in all areas
- Buy a subnet, qwest will help you set it up. Your router will use 1 IP and then you'll want to statically route all of the IP's to your firewall/router. This isn't cheap since IP blocks are expensive.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to dysphunktion

to dysphunktion
- Buy a subnet, qwest will help you set it up.

??????
dysphunktion
Grants, NM

dysphunktion

Ok, I enabled PPPoE. Re-entered the username/password but it also asked for a staticIP, which I skipped....

Now what? :P
Goldom
join:2002-05-01
Concord, NH

Goldom to dysphunktion

to dysphunktion
from my understanding of just having done this (though on a 678), you can't just change it to not using the first NAT / PPPoE unless your connectoin is set up (with your ISP) that way. What you should be able to do, however, is tell the first one to forward every port to the second one, from which you can forward the ones you want. I just got this working recently, for the very same reason, and am enjoying my first ever remote BT connections. I don't know what ips the Actiontecs use, but on the 678, it called itself 10.0.0.1, and thus thought the router, which called itself 192.168.1.1, was actually 10.0.0.2, and once forwarding ports to -that-, I could properly forward them on from the router's interface./
IceWindius
join:2004-03-11
Montana

1 recommendation

IceWindius

»US West/Qwest DSL »How Do I Connect My 701 In Bridged Mode?

IF that doesn't work, then you will have no choice but to DMZ the 701 to your other router. Thats what im doing right now and its not that big of a deal.
dysphunktion
Grants, NM

1 edit

dysphunktion

The DMZ to the router sounds like it would work out pretty good.
If someone is willing to walk me through doing this or even VNC in and do it for me, would be appreciated.

I'm using TightVNC, btw.

Thanks a bunch for the help thus far...helping me grasp the whole concept of what is going on and what needs to be done.
IceWindius
Montana

2 edits

1 recommendation

IceWindius

701g DMZ setup

1. Go to Actiontec menu of 192.168.0.1
2. Go into advance setup
3. Click through menu's and select DMZ
4. Give the WAN interface of the Linksys an IP from the subnet range of the 701g, like 192.168.0.50 or something
6. Enter that IP in the DMZ zone of the 701g
7. Disable DHCP and wireless on the 701g, as its essentially gonna doing nothing more then passing all packets to the Linksys
8. Save settings on 701g

Linksys Setup
1. Enter menu of linksys and put in the IP you selected on DMZed sectionthe 701g on the WAN interface of Linksys, 192.168.0.50 in this case
2. Setup the rest of your port forwarding, static routing ect...that you need to do and you should be good to go.

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

1 edit

AthlGrond

Premium Member

Good description Ice, I made a FAQ entry based on it since this seems to come up all the time.

»US West/Qwest DSL »How Do I Put A Router In My 701g's DMZ?
IceWindius
Montana

1 edit

IceWindius

Wooo hoo, thanks Ath, thats my second contribution to the FAQ, I feel special
dysphunktion
Grants, NM

dysphunktion

Well, I broke something. I lost internet connectivty and could not access the 701s setup page. I could get to the routers just fine, but not the 701. I had to do a factory reset and re-enter the pppoa login info.

This stuff completely boggles my mind.

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

said by dysphunktion:

Well, I broke something. I lost internet connectivty and could not access the 701s setup page. I could get to the routers just fine, but not the 701. I had to do a factory reset and re-enter the pppoa login info.

This stuff completely boggles my mind.
Is your router's LAN IP address 192.168.0.1?

If it is I added an additional section to the FAQ that deals with that.
bigjoesmith
join:2000-11-21
Peoria, IL

bigjoesmith to dieman

to dieman
said by dieman:

2 Options:

- PPPOE, lose some peformance, might not work in all areas
- Buy a subnet, qwest will help you set it up. Your router will use 1 IP and then you'll want to statically route all of the IP's to your firewall/router. This isn't cheap since IP blocks are expensive.
Three options. Get a DHCP spoofing modem and eliminate NAT on the modem.
dysphunktion
Grants, NM

dysphunktion

192.168.0.1 = 701
192.168.1.1 = Linksys
dysphunktion

dysphunktion

Hrm. I can't seem to grasp any of this.

Anyone up for VNC'ing in and having a look at my setup first hand?
IceWindius
Montana

IceWindius

I've got the basic VNC on my machine, I could try, you gotta live IP on the machine?

PhoneBoy
Google "No Agenda"
join:2002-01-02
Gig Harbor, WA

PhoneBoy to dysphunktion

to dysphunktion
There's another way to make the double-NAT nightmare go away. If you can basically turn your Linksys into a router (basically disable its firewall and turn off NAT) and add a route, all will work fine.