All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

captnhook

Does anyone know what GDIPFONTCACHEV1.dat is?

In my Windows ME box I have a file in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data called GDIPFONTCACHEV1.dat.
I am only asking because I had read on »www3.ca.com/securityadvi ··· 53074933 that it might in fact be a part of "WebSearch Toolbar". I was just wondering if anyone would know if it is in fact a part of Windows ME or a possible indicator that "WebSearch Toolbar" had tried to install itself on my machine (I'm running "Spywareblaster" so I'm certain that I'm protected from malicious ActiveX controls running). Thanks

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Seems to be part of "Linkgrabber"

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

2 edits

captnhook

Thanks but "seems" you googled it as did I.
What I'm really looking for is someone who's hopefully a MS certified tech to answer this question definitively. It appears to be to be a Fonts list (followed by some coded language) but I don't know what app created it or if it's supposed to reside in the Application Data folder.
It's mentioned in a few of Computer associates malwares files and I guess "linkgrabber", "WebSearch Toolbar" and perhaps others but malware is notorious in that it alters what maybe a valid operational file.
edit:
Bingo.. solved it!
File is created when I run (ohhh how I hate to admit this) Hallmark Card Studio
The fonts list in it made me try all the applications that might induce it's creation and low and behold after a process of trial and error ..mystery solved.
captnhook

1 edit

captnhook

(edited)