Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

[Microsoft] Hack MN-740 to tal DGL-3420 firmware

Now that the D-link version of the MN-740 is out, anyone know how to hack the 740 so we can put the 3420 firmware on it? I'm not going to shell out anoher $99 to get the WPA support I SHOULD have had to begin with.

Orbiting234

join:2004-01-16
Minneapolis, MN

Re: [Microsoft] Hack MN-740 to tal DGL-3420 firmwa

Glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking this!!!

Ever since the D-Link DGL-3420 came out I have been wondering this. But I'm not sure if it would work or how to attempt. Trying to find out if the DGL-3420 uses the same SoC or not. The PCB layouts are *nearly* identical. Obviously the MN-740 has the AR2112 radio (b/g) while the DGL-3420 has a AR5112 radio (a/b/g) but I can't find a clear pic of the main SoC of the DGL-3420 anywhere. If I could and found it to be the same, I'd be trying to hack this thing in a heartbeat as WPA and web config would make this MN-740 infinitely more useful!

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
reply to inteller

Re: [Microsoft] Hack MN-740 to tal DGL-3420 firmware

well at the very least someone needs to figure out a way to glom on the WPA part of the firmware into the 740.

Necrosis11

join:2001-04-30
Wilmington, DE

2 edits

I also would like to know about this. Using WPA for all my computers but now my wireless XBox adapter is basically usless.

MN-740 non WPA support? A MS product not supporting something MS made? Say it isn't so!

The only problem I can see is... how do you configure the unit? The XBox dasnboard has no option for WPA and that has to be updated with the 740. There is no outside way to configure the unit. In fact the ability to change the wireless settings from withen the XBox dashboard is the *REASON* I bought this unit in the first place. You don't need a outside computer for setup.

MS ADD WAP SUPPORT!

O yeah, and brilent move MS. When I updated my unit it changed the MAC address. Now its not the same as the one on the sticker.

Orbiting234

Minneapolis, MN
reply to inteller
Your MAC address did not change. This bridge device passes on the MAC of the device behind it. So if you have MAC filtering on, you have to enter the MAC of the MN-740 as well as the MAC of your Xbox.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
reply to inteller

its a sham....for a company who has no hardware division they seem to be gearing up a whole bunch of gear for the Xbox 360.....they really botched the whole Xbox wif adapter deal.

zefrench

join:2004-02-20
Montreal, QC
reply to inteller

downloadComponentRel···ases.zip 1,629 bytes
(ComponentReleases.xml)
downloadPackageCatalog.zip 595 bytes
(PackageCatalog.xml)
downloadMN740_01.00.···TIME.zip 471,351 bytes
(MN740_01.00.02.0022_RUNTIME.bin)
Thanks to the research and the checksum calculator done by

calloatti (thread at )
»DWL-G800AP and DWL-G810 interchangeable?

It is now possible to update the MN-740 with the D-Link firmware and get WPA.
(At your own risk)

Files required:
MSBNDownload.exe
( »www.microsoft.com/hardware/broad···ain.mspx )

Modified Files Required:
-MN740_01.00.02.0022_RUNTIME.bin
(attached, dgl3420_firmware_101.bin hex edited and checksumed for MN-740 )

-ComponentReleases.xml
-PackageCatalog.xml
( files required for the Microsoft Broadband Networking Update to update the "new" firmware"

Recommended the D-Link manuals, since all the configuration will done exactly like a D-Link DGL3420 after the flash
»ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dgl3420/M···_100.zip

1) Update the MN-740 to the following version using MSBNDownload.exe
Xbox Wireless Adapter (MN-740) boot firmware 1.3.0.5
Xbox Wireless Adapter (MN-740) runtime firmware 1.0.2.22

2) Turn the MN-740 into a DGL3420 using special files and the Microsoft Update tool
-Run MSBNDownload.exe
-it will extract files into %TEMP%\MSBNDownloadTemp
-it will then say "Welcome to the update wizard"
-Copy the 3 modified files into %TEMP%\MSBNDownloadTemp
-Click Next
-It will locate you xbox MN-740 adapter and say there is a new update of runtime firmware to 1.0.2.22
-Follow through with the update, do NOT cancel it, it will take a long long while
-Eventually the update will say it failed.
-At this point you can insure it was sucessfull by clicking retry, if the upgrade worked, the xbox MN-740 will NOT be found (it behaves like a D-Link 3420 from this point on)

From this point on configure using the DLink Manual using a web broswer (firefox did not work) at »192.168.0.30 user admin no password

Untested:
-Xbox Dashboard configuration
-Super A/G Mode

I hope this is as usefull to others as it is to me

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
you just made a LOT of people happy.

Orbiting234

Minneapolis, MN
reply to inteller
*GASP!* Kick-ass! Anyone have any success stories to share before I bite the bullet and do this myself?

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
well from what I have read of the Dlink install guides, with the firmware on there the Xbox interface should just -work- I dunno I guess you just enter the PSK key in like you would a normal WEP key and it will work. But hell, it's a bridge....so what does the Xbox care? I say just configure it from the web interface...apparently the Xbox will still report the strength....its the same damn hardware! Just thinking about this makes me fume at Microsoft....they could have done this, but they chose to be asses. Oh well!

paul8161985

@aubrnh01.mi.comcast.
Didn't work for me, in fact I can't even get to the configuration page. It appeared as if it upgraded completely according to the directions, however I am not able to connect to it. When I plug the power cable in the power and wireless led are solid green. Hopefully there is some way to fix it.

zefrench

Montreal, QC

1 edit
After you have done the upgrade, does the Microsoft upgrade utility still sees your MN 740 ?

If it does, you upgrade is not sucessfull.

If it does not, then you need to change the IP of your computer to a static IP, like 192.168.0.10 for example, before you will be able to configure the "upgraded" MN 740 via a web browser.

zefrench

Montreal, QC

1 edit
For those worried about the 802.11a that the MN-740 does not support, the firmware does not let you use it, its greyed out.

Like this picture:

Orbiting234

Minneapolis, MN
reply to inteller
Just did this to my MN-740 a few hours ago. Happy to see that it worked. Now I don't need to hook up my Xbox just to change the settings on this. Glad that it has WPA now, but other devices on my network only support WEP so that's all I'm running right now. Thx for figuring this out for us!

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
reply to inteller

yeah I should disclaim there is NO REASON to do this unless it is the only device on your network that can't do WPA. Otherwise keep it at WEP 128 until you get the other devices in your network up to WPA.

Orbiting234

Minneapolis, MN
reply to inteller

Pfft...yes there is. The web interface alone is why I was looking to do this to begin with. The ability to someday use WPA with it now is just an added bonus IMHO.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
yeah I guess so....although the beauty of the existing device is the ability to just turn it on, configure it in the Xbox, and it just "work".

IMO, the web interface allows too many options.

HappyDays88

@adelphia.net
reply to inteller
Can you go back to the old firmware if the update fails?

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
reply to inteller

no

ZururuX

join:2005-07-07
reply to zefrench

I successfully changed firmware to DGL-3420. But unfortunately the network connection is very unstable after firmware change. Is there any way to come back to the original MN-740 firmware? Your help will be very appreciated.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
reply to inteller

i beleive I had just said no.

You probably have settings in the new firmware that you can change that will improve stability. Turn off any stupid stuff like 108 mode and all that crap.

chiefocto

@rr.com
reply to ZururuX

Just like ZururuX, I also sucessfully updated the firmware of my MN-740 to the DGL-3420, and also have severe connectivity issues. The MN-740 firmware connected just fine, but once as I updated to the DGL firmware, it can no longer find my network. Its not the settings of the new firmware, as they are exactly the same as I had the MN-740 before. I am wondering if there is a way to fix this, or maybe the radio's aren't as compatable as previously thought.

zefrench

Montreal, QC
downloaddgl3420_firm···_102.zip 263,563 bytes
(dgl3420_firmware_102.bin)
This is untested but you should be able to downgrade via the web interface.

Strange I am not having any issues at all.

Use the file supplied to downgrade.

xb0xb0y

@gorm.res.tor.fcibroa
can someone tell me where to DL the MSBNDownload.exe that's required to do this hack? seems M$ has removed their broadband section on their website.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

Tulsa, OK
reply to inteller

you are right, it appears they have. I guess they didn't like users supporting themselves.

xb0xboy

@cpe.net.cable.rogers

s'okay, i managed to find myself a copy of MSBNDownload.exe, but it only had run firmware 1.0.2.21 and not 1.0.2.22. but it still worked fine it seems. haven't tested the adapter yet, just installed the hacked firmware and browsed through the web control panel. if anyone needs the file it's here:

»go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=6790

so does anyone know or has tested out the adapter to see what other features the MN-740 has taken on from the DGL-3420? is it 100% the same now or is there limitations due to hardware differences?

xb0xb0y

@radiant.net
reply to inteller
anyone manage to get their hacked mn-740 to hook up to a linksys wrt54g v3 using wpa-psk??? with the hacked firmware, my wep transfer has become much more stable and responsive than before. but i have had zero success using wpa-psk, can't get any connection whatsoever!

Trixer

join:2004-07-20
London, OH
reply to inteller
Now someone needs an easy way of hacking the MN-700 with the Asus WL500G firmware. People have done it with Jtag cables, but that is hardly an easy soultion!

gehx
Premium
join:2004-10-25
Saginaw, MI
reply to inteller
Can't configure, via web interface, after updating.
I did everything in your instructions w/ the exception of:

update Xbox Wireless Adapter (MN-740) runtime firmware 1.0.2.22

MS Broadband Networking Update said 1.0.2.21 was installed and didn't offer 1.0.2.22 as an option, so I went ahead w/ the upgrade but when I try to connect to 192.168.0.30 in IE it just says it can't find the server.

I was able to config the basic settings using the Xbox Dash, but am not able to use the web interface

/me thinking that runtime firmware 1.0.2.22 is very necessary.

anyone know what I can do to enable the web interface?

Am I screwed?

Lemme know what further info you need.

Thanx.

zefrench

Montreal, QC
If you did not do the 1.0.2.22 part then you should still have a working xbox mn 740 with a few more bug fixes, not other changes.

The 1.0.2.22 files is actually a Dlink Firmware in disguise, thus why it is needed.