Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TomBrooklyn
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Instant Messenger: Which Is the Most Popular?

Which is the most popular Instant Messanging Service?

AIM
MSN
Yahoo

Is it so by a wide a wide margin or is it close?

Are any of the services particularly popular in any particular service sector, with any specific user demographics or group, or for any specific purpose?

Other? Discuss.
--
End the Madness. Bring Back the Stars.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I think your posted order reflects their userbase. I could be wrong.
I have accounts with all three and use Trillian to manage all three - cause no way in heck I'm dealing with three separate IM programs.
Downside is anything with MSN Messenger integration doesn't work.
KM
--
Corn-on-the-cob is how it comes out of the ground. They should just call it corn, and every other type of corn, corn-off-the-cob. It's not like if my arm were cutoff they would call it "Mitch", and then re-attached, call it "Mitch-all-together".

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ
reply to TomBrooklyn
I think its AIM. Dont quote me on that, but everyone I ask for a screen name its always for aim. Some of them didnt even know there was anything else before I told tem.
--
Cruising with Verizon DSL 2793/714 & The Opera Web Browser »verizon.net »opera.com

richter35
Premium
join:2004-01-03
Croatia
reply to TomBrooklyn
It depends where you live. I think in US the number one is AOL, while in Europe it's probably MSN. MSN is gaining in popularity fast, IMO. AOL is popular because they have many subscribers, I don't see any benefits using it if you're not AOL customer. ICQ probably most used 5 years ago, now it's all about big three Yahoo, MSN and AOL. Of course, this is just how I see things.

illJazz
Premium
join:2002-09-04
Zurich
reply to KoolMoe
said by KoolMoe:

I think your posted order reflects their userbase. I could be wrong.
I have accounts with all three and use Trillian to manage all three - cause no way in heck I'm dealing with three separate IM programs.
Downside is anything with MSN Messenger integration doesn't work.
KM
Amen to the bold part. What's your trouble with MSN?
I don't think it's easy to give an answer to this. AIM seems hugely popular in the US, while nearly nobody uses it anywhere else. It is a product of AOL after all, and AOL being an American company is what makes AIM primarily known and locally attached to the States I'd say. I'm from Europe and don't know anyone who uses AIM in Europe. Over there, MSN is the main thing.

I don't know anyone who uses Yahoo Messenger anywhere in the world.
--
IMHO. As always
Opera!
Trillian

Fin
Premium
join:2003-02-22
EU

2 edits
reply to TomBrooklyn
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!
While I was writing a messaging poll this one appeared! How comes I didn't see it?

Mods, eventually delete/lock my poll!

edit: here MSN (most), Yahoo!, AIM;

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
reply to TomBrooklyn
I don't know anyone that doesn't have MSN if they have an IM program at all. AIM and YIM both suck in my opinion.
--
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

illJazz
Premium
Zurich
reply to TomBrooklyn
AIM is a very solid IM app. It's quite reliable and just works. So is MSN. I know nothing about Yahoo. I don't see how AIM sucks compared to MSN. Remember, we're talking protocols here... not clients.
--
IMHO. As always
Opera!
Trillian

reflex9

join:2004-02-09
reply to TomBrooklyn
»www.im2.com/interoperability.php has some statistics but i don't know how recent they are. Here in the Netherlands MSN is about the only IM client in use. Among teenagers "to MSN" is the same as "to use instant messaging".

NYR11
Livestrong

join:2002-03-15
Stony Brook, NY
reply to TomBrooklyn
I use Trillian. It works with most IM's:)

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to illJazz
No real troubles with it, just any other non-IM program that integrates with MSN (Outlook, Windows Media Center, etc) doesn't look to launch/use Trillian...they understandably look to use MSN - which I don't have installed.
But that lack of integration doesn't bother me at all. I'm not a big IM'er - just to communicate around the office (MSN) and talk to the wife (AIM) about what I should pickup on the way home...
KM
--
Corn-on-the-cob is how it comes out of the ground. They should just call it corn, and every other type of corn, corn-off-the-cob. It's not like if my arm were cutoff they would call it "Mitch", and then re-attached, call it "Mitch-all-together".

paranoidxe
Premium
join:2002-03-29
Ogden, UT

1 edit
AIM, MSN is always plagued with network problems and security issues..not that AIM isn't but to a lesser extent. If ya want to talk to me online, its AIM..nothing else.
--
- paranoidxe (4g63.20m.com)

nfx
The Wire
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC
kudos:1
reply to NYR11
said by NYR11:

I use Trillian. It works with most IM's:)
Trillian is just an IM client, it doesn't have it's own IM network.
--
nfx

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to TomBrooklyn
Windows Messnger too it's installed on every Windows XP computer
i do not use it so i manual uninstalled i use outlook
not OE it sucks

rbright
Premium
join:2002-12-10
Lexington, KY
reply to TomBrooklyn
One of the reasons I feel AIM is still so popular is because the majority of users (American) do not feel the need to switch away from what they and all of their aquaintances have used for so long. I personally use »www.miranda-im.org to connect to AIM and MSN; and, while I'm not a big fan of AIM, it's hard to switch away from it when everyone you know uses it.
--
Team Helix

Bryanhoop
Mangum Addict

join:2002-04-07
*cough* GAIM *cough*

nfx
The Wire
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by Bryanhoop:

*cough* GAIM *cough*
*cough* GAIM is an IM client, it doesn't have it's own IM network like ICQ or MSN *cough*.
--
nfx

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
reply to TomBrooklyn
Whatever happened to ICQ? Why did that fade? That was "the" thing way back when and I think it was very good. Small. Does it even still exist?

nfx
The Wire
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by Sentinel:

Whatever happened to ICQ? Why did that fade? That was "the" thing way back when and I think it was very good. Small. Does it even still exist?
yes, it still exists.

Just because it isn't the flavor of the week anymore in N.America doesn't mean it's dead elsewhere in the world as well.
--
nfx

TexasGuy
49 States And Texas
Premium
join:2002-12-02
Houston, TX
said by nfx:

said by Sentinel:

yes, it still exists.

Just because it isn't the flavor of the week anymore in N.America doesn't mean it's dead elsewhere in the world as well.
Russians are heavy on ICQ.
--
-- Who drank has died, who drinks will die; is he immortal who is sober? --
-- I started out with nothing, I still have most of it --

Bryanhoop
Mangum Addict

join:2002-04-07
reply to nfx
*cough* GAIM is an IM client, it doesn't have it's own IM network like ICQ or MSN *cough*.
I'm sorry if I interpreted "service" as "client", not "network," as you did. And due to the fact that Trillian had already been brought up I thought that you would understand that introducing multi-network clients would solve the problem of determining the popularity of each network.

illJazz
Premium
Zurich
reply to TomBrooklyn
Boy I used to HOG ICQ on my computer back in the day. It was the coolest thing ever. Now nobody even knows wtf it is anymore. Blah.. maybe in Europe more people still use it, but here in the States.. nobody does.
--
IMHO. As always
Opera!
Trillian

HellBound9
The 7 Day Theory

join:2004-10-18
Eastside
reply to TomBrooklyn
As others have pointed out it depends what part of the WWW your @, In the states i would say AOL as many used to be AOL users but switch and kept using there protocol, I know that yahoo do have a strong Asian user base tho. As for MSN i just start using it a while ago so i don't know.
IMO, MSN seems to be getting more popular here as more & more people have been giving me there MSN username these days.

I use MSN the most, then AIM and i haven't used yahoo in a LONG time.
I only use there protocol not the clients, I use Miranda.

Get Miranda »www.miranda-im.org/
--
"Im Just A Realistic Impression Of An Artistic Expression"

fegul
Premium
join:2004-08-23
united state
reply to TomBrooklyn
I'd say its in this order;
AIM
MSN
Yahoo
That's just from my observations though.

Fin
Premium
join:2003-02-22
EU
reply to HellBound9
I only use there protocol not the clients, I use Miranda.
I 2nd that.
Nice IEView template, HellBound... right now I'm using Plasticsmod (by the same author, I believe...)

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to TomBrooklyn
I like MSN the best, never used AIM. I have ICQ also, for one specific group of people on one website, but I don't care for it, it always hangs when trying to send a message, drives me crazy.

I tried Trillian, liked the idea of it alot, but could never get ICQ to work with it. And since I use ICQ rarely, I really don't need it just for MSN.
--
~~I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change, and breakaway...Out of the darkness and into the sun...~~

lawilson2
Premium
join:2001-04-30
Chicago, IL
reply to TomBrooklyn
I use MSN for work; yahoo for family/friends, and AIM very sparingly; I only have a few friends on it. More and more of my friends are getting SBC DSL, which comes with Yahoo Messenger, so they use that.
I use VeriChat for my Treo 650 which is just like Trillian, and I have all 4 clients on it, but have only used ICQ once. Why I keep it; I have no idea. I guess if I ever have a business client who has it, we can exchange info!
--
Wilson EduTech, Inc. Forum

aggiejy
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Wimberley, TX
reply to TomBrooklyn
Perhaps it varies by demographic/age group. I know in my work environment everyone uses MSN. I know of very few that use AIM or Yahoo. And that's not my company, that's everyone that I work with... and being a consultant that's a wide group. It just so happens that all of my friends are using MSN. Every time I ask for their IM address, I get an email address... I plug it into MSN and it works. They never even say what it's for except "IM" like it's assumed.

On the other hand, a lot of the younger kids I know (my young cousins and nephews) use AIM. I've always pictured it as a kid's IM client, though I know that it's not.

trooper1
Premium
join:2002-03-13
reply to illJazz

mobile phone feature in trillian and gaim?

I use YIM as I need to use it in order to login and logout of my mobile phone.

»messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/wireless/

Does trillian have the mobile facility that yahoo messenger provides?

kingsims

join:2004-09-11
you could always ask for it and it could be added to the trillian pro but nothing beats free