Search similar:

uniqs
c33v33
join:2003-10-14
Chicago, IL

1 edit

c33v33

Is Lavasoft Ad-Aware still good to use?

Is this software still effective in removing spyware? Any other software u think I should try if this isn't?

I haven't checked for spyware in about 150 days, so I wanna know if I should still bust this old piece of software out and use it.

I don't have much spyware problems though, because I mostly use Opera.

MapleLeaf
Premium Member
join:2001-09-04
Burnaby, BC

1 edit

MapleLeaf

Premium Member

Ad-Aware is still good to use, but like everything else, one should not rely on one application only when spyware removal is in order.

Just curious - how many spyware problems you consider to be "much"?

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to c33v33

Premium Member

to c33v33
Well it hasn't installed any spyware of it's own as of 05-09-05, so I have to say it's not bad to use (scan with).
Would I use it as my only AS app?
No, but then again I can't say that about any AS app.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

BillRoland to c33v33

Premium Member

to c33v33
I'm sure its still margingally effective in removing spyware, but after the WhenU fiasco and their shady handling of the situation, I uninstalled it. I rely on Microsoft AntiSpyware and Spybot S&D, in addition to IE-SPYAD so my Zones are good and locked down. Haven't had any problems at all.

iam x
Sungazer
Premium Member
join:2005-02-23

1 edit

iam x to c33v33

Premium Member

to c33v33
said by c33v33:

im also wondering what u mean by "much"?
1 instance of spyware on a system is 1 too many.:)

the least you could do is immediately install M$A$ and run a quick-scan.
kltsin
join:2004-05-14

1 edit

kltsin to c33v33

to c33v33
said by c33v33:

Is this software still effective in removing spyware? Any other software u think I should try if this isn't?

I haven't checked for spyware in about 150 days, so I wanna know if I should still bust this old piece of software out and use it.

LAYERED protection for spyware is almost a must.
No single program can remove everything so many programs should be used to scan your system.

As you stated you "havent busted it out", its probably outdated definition wise.
You should make personal notes to update every security product once a week and do a full scan at the same time.
My kids pc's I update & scan every other day and let them do its/their own schedualing.

Adaware is still an excellent product for free and has actually made money do to its free products and hope they continue in this manner.

Everything about Adaware Free is very pleasing, pretty decent updates, good gui/interface, quick scans, good engine , good install routine etc..
As stated other programs to add Protection may be Spybot S&D as well as MS Antispyware.

Spybot adds in some immunizations and MS Antispyware adds in resetting IE security to its original settings if compromised.

Even if using Opera or Firefox you may want to install IEspyads and javacools Spywareblaster & Spywareguard to help block malicious sites and the other cool stuff they do.

Soft and /or hard firewall is also extremely helpful..

Also note that some malicious software will attack one or more programs rendering them useless and a backup plan is always a must in this situation.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to c33v33

Premium Member

to c33v33
said by c33v33:

If you are only running the free version..it is not giving you protection in any case.

If you want to bust out something that will make a difference install ewido and purchase the A2 with it's new features.

Just after the fact scanning is so boring..unless one just wants to post how many badboys, cookies and MRU files you have managed to capture.
kltsin

kltsin

said by Name Game:

said by c33v33:

If you are only running the free version..it is not giving you protection in any case.

If you want to bust out something that will make a difference install ewido and purchase the A2 with it's new features.

Just after the fact scanning is so boring..unless one just wants to post how many badboys, cookies and MRU files you have managed to capture.
HUH?
Ah , "giving you protection"
Key words, ad-aware free realy doesnt have any preventive measures thats why I specified other programs.
They are free as well.
None of them use ANY resources and dont ask for a donation, but you should donate btw if you use and like the programs..

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

said by kltsin:
said by Name Game:
said by c33v33:

HUH?
Ah , "giving you protection"
Key words, ad-aware free realy doesnt have any preventive measures thats why I specified other programs.
They are free as well.
None of them use ANY resources and dont ask for a donation, but you should donate btw if you use and like the programs..
And since one has used the adaware free for so long..might be a good idea to add up the years and bite the bullet with a "donation" to purchase the paid version>

101ASW
@aol.com

101ASW

Anon

said by Name Game:
And since one has used the adaware free for so long..might be a good idea to add up the years and bite the bullet with a "donation" to purchase the paid version
That would no longer be a "donation" but a "purchase".

With reguards to rewarding Lavasoft that brought you ad aware free then that would be a waste of your money.They are continually be rewarded by the free user's.
The reasoning behind this is that Ad aware personal has always been a 2way door for everyone.The end user gets a free bot killer and Lavasoft gain a heck of a lot of Beta testers/feedback/submissions for their product+subsequent upgrade sales.Think of how much developement/refinement of their paid software has been advanced by the free user's over the years.
In layman's terms.do you think the paid version would be up to its current form and performance if there was never a free version in the first place ?

Back to the original question.Yes ad aware is still good to use.
kltsin

1 edit

kltsin

Well said.
actually I had a typo, ad aware isnt donation ware but the others programs are and they deserve to be paid as most of the developers are just trying to help and they are very talented security people who help in forums to this day. If you feel like donating to them then so be it.
Spybot is also donationware and has no paid version after all these years even though it was one, if not the first anti spyware program and still a great tool to have as of now.

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp to c33v33

MVM

to c33v33
It's still effective but as others have already said, you should not rely on a single application to handle spyware removal.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to 101ASW

Premium Member

to 101ASW
said by 101ASW:
said by Name Game:
And since one has used the adaware free for so long..might be a good idea to add up the years and bite the bullet with a "donation" to purchase the paid version
That would no longer be a "donation" but a "purchase".

With reguards to rewarding Lavasoft that brought you ad aware free then that would be a waste of your money.They are continually be rewarded by the free user's.
The reasoning behind this is that Ad aware personal has always been a 2way door for everyone.The end user gets a free bot killer and Lavasoft gain a heck of a lot of Beta testers/feedback/submissions for their product+subsequent upgrade sales.Think of how much developement/refinement of their paid software has been advanced by the free user's over the years.
In layman's terms.do you think the paid version would be up to its current form and performance if there was never a free version in the first place ?

Back to the original question.Yes ad aware is still good to use.
You poeple crack me up..I worked with Bea and the others when Adaware was still not translated and members at dslr had never heard of the program then beta tested ( still have some of the orginal old versions) even before there was a paid version..and not only did we donate then..we thanked them..but now some of you "new guys" make posts as if you are collectivley speaking for the million of people who have used it free since then and still do now to clean numerous crapware off their PC..and wanting all those people to feel slighted as you propond Lavasoft OWES them for using the free versions today Vis-à-Vis "helping them make a better product".

NYR11
Livestrong
join:2002-03-15
Stony Brook, NY

1 recommendation

NYR11 to c33v33

to c33v33
Should read a little article in the May issue of CPU magazine about the use of Spyware apps. Especially Spybot S&D. Me, just using MS Anti-Spyware right now. After reading the article I'm very skepticle of other "free" spyware apps. Common sense when surfing is still the best protection
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:
said by c33v33:
Why is it boring? I never, ever have had a antispyware application catch anything other than a fp. What is BORING is running a real time antispyware scanner when you don't need it. Just run Process Guard.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Mele20 See Profile
quote:
Why is it boring? I never, ever have had a antispyware application catch anything other than a fp. What is BORING is running a real time antispyware scanner when you don't need it. Just run Process Guard.
There ya go PG will stop it all.;)
kamootee
join:2004-11-15
Glendale, CA

kamootee to c33v33

to c33v33
The best feature I want added for uSoft Spyware Beta is the ability to run from a "fresh" CD. I don't mind a one time use only CD since they are so CHEAP. Other than that it is doomed to get worst.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to c33v33

Premium Member

to c33v33
Dunno...when looking for a cheap & easy ad/spyware removal solution, running both Ad-Aware and Spybot is probably the best approach I've heard. (in terms of simplicity, cost, and effectiveness) You could always go with a paid malware removal method, as many of them have had good reviews, and you can't really use too many malware scanners/removers. The more different layers you use to scrub that thing with, the better.

Of course, at a certain point, it's just easier to reload, rather than go through upteen-odd scans with different malware dectectors.

SpannerITWks
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22

SpannerITWks to c33v33

Premium Member

to c33v33
I have Adaware and S+D and they never find anything on my PC, but that's because i don't visit dodgy sites etc, and i've got my IE Fully Locked down as i showed how to in another thread lower down.

Once you've installed and updated and run them this is really what you should expect, but it's good to know they are there and run them say once a week just to be sure.

One of the other nice things about S+D is the TeaTimer option which i use and Does alert me every now and then, especially during installs. S+D also has many other really useful functions such as being able to easily set up App Auto Runs etc and to disable Apps too.

I inspect etc other peoples PC's on a weekly basis and i've stopped being surprised just now MUCH crap they all have. So for some people especially with kids, these Apps are a godsend.

Contributing to good causes is always beneficial !

Another truly Excellent App is SpySweeper from - »www.webroot.com - Not free but worth every cent, and you can try it FREE for 30 days and see for yourself. I think you'll like it a lot !
c33v33
join:2003-10-14
Chicago, IL

c33v33

The only spyware problem I've ever gotten was about a year ago. My sister was using IE on the computer for a whole day, and an annoying VX2 spyware popped up. Removed with Adaware and a VX2 Finder.

I haven't had any problems since then. But it looks like I'm gonna go with Adaware, MS AntiSpyware, and maybe Spybot.