T Bell
T Bell
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Terra Firma

T Bell

Premium Member

Protocol Defaults?

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but can anyone explain the following and why it looks like something is not right?

O15 - ProtocolDefaults: '@ivt' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Intranet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'file' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'ftp' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'https' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)

I don't have any security problems (?), but I was surprised by the above results when I ran Hijack This.

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

1 recommendation

John2g

Premium Member

Some malware has changed them. From memory, if you get HJT to fix them, they will revert to normal.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 recommendation

TheWiseGuy to T Bell

MVM

to T Bell
It means that anything that uses those protocols now has the permissions allowed in My Computer Zone instead of the Internet Zone. When you go to a web site, since you use http, the site will then be able to act as if it was on your computer. I assume John2g See Profile is correct and HJT will/should fix this problem. The protocols are found under the Key below. I would run through the FAQ since as john said something reset these values.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults

T Bell
T Bell
Premium Member
Terra Firma

T Bell to John2g

Premium Member

to John2g
Thank you John2g See Profile. They have been this way for a while. I will let Hijack This fix them, and if there are still problems will follow up with TheWiseGuy See Profile's advise.

Thank you both.
T Bell

T Bell to TheWiseGuy

Premium Member

to TheWiseGuy
TheWiseGuy See Profile,

I exported the reg key you indicated plus all other ProtocolDefaults found and deleted them. HijackThis didn't fix them. My surfing has become much faster.(?) I am going to run through this »www2.dslreports.com/faq/8428 as soon as I post this. I also exported and deleted all the Ranges right below the ProtocolDefaults key, and so far no problems.
Thank you again.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 recommendation

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Check again and see if they have been regenerated.

They should have the values in the JPG

T Bell
T Bell
Premium Member
Terra Firma

T Bell

Premium Member

TheWiseGuy See Profile - Yes, they are identical now.
Ad-Aware found problems, but it looks like it's picking up IESPYAD entries/

Still running scans. Thanks again.
T Bell

T Bell to TheWiseGuy

Premium Member

to TheWiseGuy
All's well that ends well.
Nothing showed up in any scans except 75 entries that Ad-Aware picked up from IESPYAD that wound up in the trusted zone (??), and Pest Patrol found one Wintools entry. I read everything I could find on Wintools, and there was a single registry entry that I removed.
I uninstalled IESPYAD, rebooted, lost my internet connection, Norton threw up a warning that settings were changed, and automatically rebooted. My connection was back, I got a fresh copy of IESPYAD and now Hijack This is clean and back to normal.
Strange, but everything appears okay now. Thank you both again.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

TheWiseGuy

MVM

You're welcome and I'm glad everything else was fine.