All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
smitty244
join:2005-05-15
Toronto

smitty244

Primus VoIP TBB w/ Dry DSL?

I've read the FAQ, I just want to see if anybody else has done it - I currently have Sympatico HSE and a Bell phone # and want to migrate my Bell # to the Primus TBB service, but when I go to sign up online it says that I need to keep my phone # with Bell to keep my DSL - does Primus offer dry dsl service as well? Anybody have any experience with this? Can I just sign up online anyway and follow the FAQs advice (call up Bell for dry dsl as soon as my POTS line goes out of service?) Thanks!

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

said by smitty244:

I've read the FAQ, I just want to see if anybody else has done it - I currently have Sympatico HSE and a Bell phone # and want to migrate my Bell # to the Primus TBB service, but when I go to sign up online it says that I need to keep my phone # with Bell to keep my DSL - does Primus offer dry dsl service as well? Anybody have any experience with this? Can I just sign up online anyway and follow the FAQs advice (call up Bell for dry dsl as soon as my POTS line goes out of service?) Thanks!
I haven't done it personally (I'm in Western Canada and Telus doesn't yet allow dry DSL except in certain limited situations) but canoe See Profile has done it with an existing TBB account. I would recommend sending him an e-mail with specific questions.

However, since your situation is still different from what he experienced, you might be best just contacting Primus directly.

There's no reason why you can't sign up with Primus with a new number, and then set in motion the port over from Bell as an alternate number. Check with them first, but I would think that you could cancel the original and use the ported as your primary after it's ported.

Basically, the info in the FAQ is pretty complete and accurate. But always contact Primus for verification. We dont' have any particular inside knowledge, so procedures or policies could change and we wouldn't know to update the FAQ.

Steve

micron06
Premium Member
join:2003-11-19
Kingston

micron06 to smitty244

Premium Member

to smitty244
Primus doesn't offer DRY DSL even after i showed them the article in which CRTC approves BELL allowing 3rd party DSL to use the dry pair.
It seems, Bell charges for the local loop to the 3rd party DSL provider which in the end will result an additional cost. I guess its not worth the trouble for Primus to take.
More info can be found here:
»Teksavvy.com now offering Dry DSL.

As for TBB on Sympatico Dry DSL line can be found here:
»My dry-DSL experience: ORDERING

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

said by micron06:

Primus doesn't offer DRY DSL even after i showed them the article in which CRTC approves BELL allowing 3rd party DSL to use the dry pair.
It seems, Bell charges for the local loop to the 3rd party DSL provider which in the end will result an additional cost. I guess its not worth the trouble for Primus to take.
Primus is definitely looking into it. I have this confirmation from a senior Primus representative. That it's not available right now may be true (I assume your info comes from actual communication with Primus). Perhaps the CS rep with whom you spoke is not privy to Primus longer-term plans. That's fair. But they are looking into dry-DSL with Bell in the east, and with Telus in the west (although Telus will be the harder sell on this one).

Steve

micron06
Premium Member
join:2003-11-19
Kingston

micron06 to smitty244

Premium Member

to smitty244
oh ok..Coz this is what i got from them dated apr 21, when i pointed to them CRTC approved naked dsl to 3rd party dsl isp
quote:
Dear Mr. Fernandes,
Thank you for your recent request for information regarding Primus Canada's
services. We are pleased that you are considering our services and to
provide you with the requested information.

I am aware that certain companies are now able to offer Dry DSL, this is
currently being offered by local service provides such as Bell. However I
am sorry to inform you that Primus Canada is not able to offer this type of
DSL at the moment since this is something totally new. Unfortunately we
still require that a regular land line be active in order for our service to
work.

If you would like to obtain additional information, you are welcome to reply
to this message.

Should you wish to subscribe, we invite you to call our sales office at
1-800-575-2266. One of our friendly sales associates will be more than happy
to help you in any way they can. You may also fill an online application at
www.primustel.ca or by using the following link if this suits you better