how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sportsdadmi

join:2001-03-14
Harrison Township, MI

Wow vs comcast price and speed

Comcast just raised my bill from $59 a month to $83. When I called they told me that my 6 month promotion had expired. The best they could do is $73. I am in Mt Clemens MI area. Is Wow a better choice and what about speeds? I got 3802/343 kbps this morning with comcast.
Thanks for helping me make a decision.

Brian in MI

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI
Is with or without tv service? The closest WOW package to what you have with Comcast is WOW Advanced tier. It's 4Mbps/300Kbps, for $44.99 without tv service $67.99 with analog tv service. If you go to WOW's website, »www.wowway.com, you can get their current rates and select the package of service you want.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to sportsdadmi
If that $83 is with no promotions then I assume that you only have basic TV as the internet is $43 if you own your modem.
Last I knew the cheapest digi TV package was $52.

So WOW would give you roughly the same basic TV and almost the same internet.
upload is a little less, but down is a little more (for me anyway) and you get 3 IP's.
Modem rental is $2.50 vs $3 the last I knew about comcast.

My bill is just over $70 with taxes. (I own my modem)
I just hope you don't need an itemized bill.

HTH

peace

sportsdadmi

Harrison Township, MI
reply to sportsdadmi
I have the basic comcast cable and my own modem (motorola sb 4200).

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
That helps a little more. With WOW you would save $15 a month, if you can take the 84Kbps hit on the upstream(which shouldn't be a huge deal for most). IMO, WOW's tv service has a much better picture quality than Comcast does in my area, and their internet service has been rock solid for me as well.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
reply to sportsdadmi
Well then your bill should be very close to $70.
Your local taxes may be different than mine as I live in IL.

Of course this is assuming that you have a docsis 1.1 firmware on your modem. As I understand you need it to get the 4000 and 6000 down packages.

Also depending on what tech you get they may tell you that your modem won't work. My tech did. I insisted they try anyway and it works fine. I have a SB 4100.

peace

doormans

join:2002-11-17
Roseville, MI
reply to sportsdadmi
For wow's basic cable and advanced internet you'll pay around 65.00.(give or take 5 bucks) solid and reliable for me for 2.5 years.

sportsdadmi

Harrison Township, MI
reply to sportsdadmi
Thanks everyone for the replies. I got comcast to come down to $68 from $75. So I am staying with them for now because it's such a hassle to switch over. If they would not have come down I was gone though.

Thanks,

Brian
Harrison Twp, MI

rjc2

@eds.net
Interesting that you got Comcast to come down in price. The best they offered me was around $90 for basic cable/internet after my "promotional rate" expired. I told them that WOW's rates were around $20 cheaper, but they didn't want to match, gave me some line about matching customers to service plans or something. I didn't care about that, price is the biggest thing for me. So I switched to WOW to save the $20 a month. The TV service is fine, the internet speeds seem to vary a lot more than Comcast and the authentication for email using Outlook is messed, always prompting for a password even though the info is entered into the account setting. But overall, I am happy with the service and the $20 a month in my pocket.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI
reply to sportsdadmi
A co-worker just switched from WOW to Comcast. He has said his picture is so much better now. He had HSI and video from WOW. Went through 3 modems in 1 year and WOW kept making up some excuse. Last one was some shielding wires were found inside the plug to the modem. Costs? He has cheaper cable and the HSI is the same. He has his cable for 30.00 a month for 16 months (HBO, DVR and digital cable). But, he was so unhappy with WOW, I could have hooked up a coat hanger to his tv and he would have been happy. It's going to take a much more cost savings to get me to jump ship. Till the next time I call HSI support and get blown off again for weeks.. But that's another thread..

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
said by tc1uscg:

It's going to take a much more cost savings to get me to jump ship.
Yes, you have pointed that out, again and again. In order to get the DVR from Comcast without a $75 deposit you have to be an active customer for a minimum of 3 months with a good standing account. Why not live without the DVR for a few months and save us all the hassle of listening to your anti-WOW rants when you have plenty of options but you just don't want to exercise them.

tc1uscg

Clinton Township, MI
reply to sportsdadmi
Why don't you just KMA and get use to it? Just because you live on this board and read everything everybody posts, there are some that don't. You seem to paint some premadonna picture of WOW and jump to their defense that it's almost comical. I was pointing out what the end result was someone who got fed up of WOW's inability to correct his HSI issue and crappy TV service, moved on to another source and seen immediate improvement. Remember, as you should know if you get out much, that Detroit is a very large area with different "towns" all over. Cable's infrastructure was good in some areas, bad in others. WOW has spent big bucks trying to "upgrade" these areas when they took over Americast's franchise. It's obvious on the west side of Detroit that they still have issues. There is another person who has issues with wow and lives in Garden city. But it's picture quality. Other then my pointing out WOW's CSR's no clue approach to trouble shooting or inability to respond to a simple email the first time around, my service is fine. Hey, just because I have Sunrocket for my VoIP doesn't mean I'm not going to rip them a new hole if they are dropping the ball. And, even the telco I work for, it's it's bad, it's bad and I'm not going to defend or hide behind the fact I work for them. No matter how much smack dish out to people who have a different outlook for WOW's service, you best get use to hearing it again and again.

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
said by tc1uscg:

You seem to paint some premadonna picture of WOW and jump to their defense that it's almost comical.
Since you are still a newbie to these forums you obviously haven't read many (any) posts from others, but the majority of the posters here dislike Comcast and TWC with a passion for the shoddy service we have had in the past and you will see that we actually try to help people here, and not just blame WOW for problems, or yell at them or anything like that.

said by tc1uscg:

I was pointing out what the end result was someone who got fed up of WOW's inability to correct his HSI issue and crappy TV service, moved on to another source and seen immediate improvement.
Just wait until your friend has a problem with Comcast, their techs are worse.

It's obvious on the west side of Detroit that they still have issues.
It's not obvious at all. I know plenty on that side of town with absolutely no issues with WOW over there.

No matter how much smack dish out to people who have a different outlook for WOW's service,
Everyone is entitles to opinions, we have no problem with that. The problem is blatant trolling to start flames wars, specifically by you. Constantly trying to blame WOW for your shortcomings.

you best get use to hearing it again and again.
Get used to what? Your complaining about the service you continue to pay for, I don't care, I just laugh. You dislike WOW, yet you continue to pay for service when you have a second cable option and satellite as an option, yet you are too lazy to do anything about it. It's hilarious.

But then again, if you don't like what I or any of the other "pro-WOW" people have to say, their either become a premium member and use the ignore button, or just don't read the forums.

tc1uscg

Clinton Township, MI
reply to sportsdadmi
Never said I disliked WOW. As far as the friend goes, yeah, I'm sure it's a matter of time before he has a problem, but things are a little easier to accept when your paying a let less for a lot more.

No, not lazy, just accepting. I don't like CC. As much as I had them come out and remove their drop from my yard/house. So, get your facts strait about my issues with wow. I like WOW, it's the people who attempt to provide support or the lack thereof and fail, that I have issue with. Nothing more.. Nothing less. So take a pill and calm down. I don't get offended when people rant and rave about the company I work for. Heck, I rant and rave right along with'em.

Al Smith

join:2005-06-09
reply to sportsdadmi
imrf, did you get the 29.99 flyer in the mail also? If so, you can get that deal without any of the other hassles and for a $10.00 installation charge. My best friend is a Direct Sales Rep for Comcast and he gets to offer different deals than you can get from calling in to the call centers.

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
said by Al Smith:

imrf, did you get the 29.99 flyer in the mail also?
Yep, got it today again.

If so, you can get that deal without any of the other hassles and for a $10.00 installation charge.
I'm sure I could, if I really wanted Comcast, but I don't.

My best friend is a Direct Sales Rep for Comcast and he gets to offer different deals than you can get from calling in to the call centers.
Cool, I have a bunch of buddies who are contract sales for Comcast and they have better deals than the retention department can throw at a cancelling customer, but even with that option I still won't switch back to Comcast.

J D McDorce
Premium
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI
reply to Al Smith
Maybe I'd consider Comcast if they bury my next door neighbor's drop (which has been draped across his lawn and mine, after repeated calls to Comcast, for the past 15 months) and offer a permanent solution to pparks1 See Profile chronic connection issues. That, plus an explanation and public apology for the events that took place 3-1/2 years ago.

Then again, maybe not.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
said by J D McDorce:

Maybe I'd consider Comcast if they bury my next door neighbor's drop (which has been draped across his lawn and mine, after repeated calls to Comcast, for the past 15 months)
In my experience you just need to call the local city, township or whatever holds your franchise agreement and complain about it.
The words tripping hazard and little children have been used with success in getting them to bury drops before.
But of course YMMV.

Good luck.

peace