Premium Member
join:2005-02-23

3 edits

iam x

Premium Member

Webroot Spysweeper's " WRSSSDK.exe "

Click for full size
Click for full size
1)i have recently installed a trial version of Webroot Spysweeper, ver. 4.0.1.331, and for some reason there is this process 'WRSSSDK.exe' which constantly is running in the task manager, using 6000k to 8000k of memory.

2)Spysweepr does not load at startup on my machine, and all the 'options' are configured to ensure that, as you can see.

3)in the Hijackthis log, there are these entries of this service, as shown above.

4)the is no mention on the webroot site as to what this process is supposed to do.

5)since i have ZAP ,i know that this particular process has never asked for access to the internet.

6) i also checked in 'msconfig' to see if this process was ticked to startup when XP boots, but there is no mention of this process there either.

i am not bothered by the small memory footprint it has,however i would like to know what you think this process is, because anyone who has installed the trial version will have this too.
everything else works fine and smoothly, i have had no conflicts with any app. after instaling this, but i dont want to just disable the '023 service' in the hjt log, just to make it go away, because that may just corrupt the whole app.
fcannon
join:2002-11-19
Madisonville, TN

1 edit

fcannon

IT IS SCANNING YOUR HOSTS FILE
and any hijack attempts
matunga
join:2003-07-26

2 edits

matunga to iam x

to iam x
wrsssdk.exe is the spysweeper engine. In fact new version uses a service instead a normal process and so that service runs as SYSTEM process and it can be used by every type of windows accounts. Limited users are able to do a full scan and clean every file on hard disk and also they're able to update the program thanks to that SYSTEM service.

iam x
Sungazer
Premium Member

1 edit

iam x

Premium Member

@matunga
ah, that makes sense, the way you have explained.

@fcannon
hmm, if it indeed is a real-time hosts file monitering service, then i hope it can co-exist with Zonealarm's own 'lock hosts file' function , as seen above.
Gianni45
join:2004-08-22

Gianni45 to iam x

to iam x
also:
»forum.misec.net/board/So ··· 16003911

The WRSSSDK.exe process handles much of Spy Sweeper's fnctionality now and runs as a service allowing sweeping across multiple user accounts as well as some other improvements.

Dan from Webroot.

iam x
Sungazer
Premium Member

iam x

Premium Member

i appretiate the link Gianni45, im glad to know what this process does .

JouHou
@dial.inet.fi

JouHou

Anon

Is that process running when the spy sweeper is closed?
S S K
join:2005-02-18
Netherlands

S S K

Yes it is.

iam x
Sungazer
Premium Member

iam x

Premium Member

yes, it is running regardless if spysweeper is running or not.
but ending it in the 'taskmanager' is possible, it just that there is no option to prevent it from starting up!!
S S K
Netherlands

S S K

Start -> run -> type "services.msc" (without quotes).
Then look for "Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine".
Double click on the entry, and change the startup type to manual.

WARNING: Changing startup services can destroy your windows setup. Always use caution, write down what you change, and have a good backup ready!

iam x
Sungazer
Premium Member

iam x

Premium Member

hey thanks for the tip SSK, it works.
dollar1
join:2005-06-12
Simi Valley, CA

dollar1 to iam x

to iam x
WRSSSDK also seems be ge generating at least 100 tmp files; csxxxx.tmp. At times I've seen over 10mb worth. What gives?

thanks in advance
Glenn
kanenas
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Saudi Arabia

kanenas

Premium Member

The Outpost firewall in my system, blocks some programs from accessing the internet/intranet because WRSSSDK tries to modify their memory.
How would that be related to its function of checking the hosts file or even upgrading itself?
Thanks.
pc man
join:2005-06-13

pc man

hi
i have spysweeper s butt what is "wrsssdk" shuld i delet that or not?
Webroot_SS
join:2005-03-08
Denver, CO

Webroot_SS to iam x

to iam x
All,
Thanks for all of the feedback.

SSK:
We do not recomend changing the startup type on thw WRSSSDK.exe service - this could cause problems running Spy Sweeper. If users change the startup typw on the service they will need to launch WRSSSDK.exe before running Spy Sweeper in order for it to function properly.

Dollar:
These files are temp definition files that spy sweeper uses to minimize it’s memory footprint on the system.

We are looking in to possible conflicts with Outpost Firewall.

PC Man:
As stated earlier WRSSSDK.exe is a service that now handles much of Spy Sweeper's functionality. You do not want to delete that file.

Thanks,

-Dan from Webroot

Crockett
Hoosier Daddy
join:2002-09-28
Canada

Crockett to iam x

to iam x
I have changed the Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine, WRSSSDK.exe, to manual so I can start it when I want.
I was just able to download today's signature file without a problem.
Afterwards I ended task on it as it wouldn't go away.

It was something like 10,000 K of memory on my machine...add that to another 11,000 K for spy sweeper.exe and it's way too much for what?

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle

Premium Member

The previous version of SpySweeper was a memory glutton but at least it was one running task. With this new version 4 you won't see one single Webroot app using a lot of resources, you'll see two: WRSSSDK.exe and SPYSWEEPER.exe, both of which (at least on my XP Pro machine) require just a smidgen less memory and CPU cycles.
jfcmckee
join:2005-06-14
Pottstown, PA

jfcmckee to Webroot_SS

to Webroot_SS
I just upgraded to version 4 of Spysweeper, and the first thing I noticed is a message indicating "Hosts file is too large", and the inability to turn-on the Hosts file shield.

Why can't the newest version accomplish what the older version previously accomplished?

My hosts file is 252K in size,is from

»www.mvps.org/winhelp2002 ··· osts.htm

and is updated frequently to redirect annoying add sites to 127.0.0.1.

Fedorov
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11

Fedorov

Premium Member

Dear Webroot,

While I love your product, you are almost turning v4 into spyware itself by:

a) not informing us during/after install of the WRSSSDK.EXE being left RUNNING on all our machines

b) If I change this service to Manual, when I launch, then shutdown SpySweeper I EXPECT the WRSSSDK.EXE to remove itself form memory as well

Sorry but I'm not too impressed with software that adds another startup program/service to my system and can't even close it down when I tell the software to "Shutdown".

I hope for better things with the next build of v4...

Regards,

Fedorov.
petrus
join:2002-01-09
Atlanta, GA

petrus to iam x

to iam x
I am also not pleased with the latest version of Spysweeper. I am also getting the error message that my host file is too large. WRSSSDK.exe, at times, is maxing out my system resources and my system crawls as a result. I hope improvements are coming.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle

Premium Member

I wish to append my previous post.

What used to be one SpySweeper resource hog in running tasks and is now two are by far hungrier and thirstier for CPU and memory than was before.

More RAM
@245.xx.110.Dial1.StL

More RAM to iam x

Anon

to iam x
Just had to buy 512MB of more RAM today for my notebook since Windows XP was complaining and increased my pageing file size 2 times this week. I just installed Webroot Spysweeper's ver 4 upgrade about a week ago. Today I was curious what WRSSSDK.exe was in Task Manager eating up all my CPU cycles. I found this site based on my search for WRSSSDK.exe at Google. Now everything is starting to make sense. Thanks Websense for costing me more in RAM than I paid for your spyware software!
S S K
Netherlands

2 edits

S S K to Webroot_SS

to Webroot_SS
said by Webroot_SS:

SSK:
We do not recommend changing the startup type on the WRSSSDK.exe service - this could cause problems running Spy Sweeper. If users change the startup type on the service they will need to launch WRSSSDK.exe before running Spy Sweeper in order for it to function properly.
Dan, thanks for your comments. For me, setting WRSSSDK to manual works out fine, no need to restart the service as it is started by SpySweeper.
If this functionality is changed in next versions, the program will be deleted from my machine, as it is WAY to bloated to keep running all the time.

Please keep improving the program! Thanks.

bugga
@bigpond.net.au

bugga to iam x

Anon

to iam x
Webroot SpySweeper 4x Also has another very bad habit built in. Under the "Program Startup" shield it stores in the registry the names of the allowed or disallowed programs and even when you have uninstalled the program & wiped it from your system it still remains in Spysweeper's database. You can edit these entries from the registry but even with that particular shield shut down, Spysweeper will just keep putting the entries for the non existant prog's back into the registry. There is no way that I can find within Spysweeper to edit this crazy behaviour.
I hope this helps you guys and stirs up the Webroot team into a fix or a workaround.
Regards... Jim.
tivoboy
join:2004-05-10
Menlo Park, CA

tivoboy to iam x

to iam x
Does anyone have a link to the older 3.5 version of spysweeper?

iam x
Sungazer
Premium Member

1 edit

iam x

Premium Member

i support SSK's suggestion, to change the 'Wrsssdk.exe'to 'MANUAL'{and not 'disabled'}, as it works for me without any problems.{although i cant say that for all other spysweeper users, so please be cautious}

even when this process isint running in the taskmanager, whenever i want Spysweeper to load, it loads and updates definitions without any hiccups.
then when i shut it down again, the process 'Wrsssdk.exe' temporarily remains in the 'taskmanager', which is then manually deleted by me, and in the next reboot it isint there either.

{edit: spelling}

Crockett
Hoosier Daddy
join:2002-09-28
Canada

Crockett

This is exactly what I do too, but keep in mind that if you use Spy Sweeper as a real-time scanner (running in the background), you'll probably need that process set to Automatic.