All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
josh delcore
join:2005-05-09
Barrington, IL

josh delcore

Cisco Lab

I am about to start a Cisco Lab and am looking for a little feed back. I am about to finish my CCNA and will probably get my MCSA next followed by a CCNP & possibly CCIE&MSCE.

So with that I am planning on getting a 2620 router because it has 1 fastethernet port and buy a NM-4A/S. This would be my "router on a stick" and the A/S module would connect to the other routers.

I would next get a 2511 router for my terminal server (connect this to the Internet and be able to telnet into my network from anywhere).

I would need 2 switches to practice VLAN's but am not exactly sure about which switches to get. 1900 is isl, the 2950 is dot1q and the 2900 is both. I also think I need EN version but not sure. 1900 is so much cheaper but I am not sure that is the best way to go. What does everyone think?

That would be the first stage for the Cisco equipment. During my MSCA I have already purchased VMware workstation and have multiple trial additions of MS2000server, MS2003server, MS2000 and XP pro. I have 2 computers, 1-1ghz 256ram for a running server and my laptop running 1.3ghz and 1.2ram for my VMware os's(probably can handle about 3 os's at once). Connecting these computers up to my switches and routers would allow me to practice both Cisco and Microsoft. I might also buy 1-2 more cheap computers for a more complete network.

Once I start my CCNP I would then purchase 2-2503 routers, a 2523 router(frame relay) and a ISDN simulator.

LAB:
1-2620 router(32flash/64dram or 16/64?, IOSversion?)
1-2511 router(16f/16r, IOSversion?)
2-switches(not sure of type)
VMware
OS's:2000&2003advanced server, 2000Pro & XPPro (all demos)
2 computers(possibly more)
Then:
2-2503 routers(16f/16r, IOSversion?)
1-2523 router(16f/16r, IOSversion?)
ISDN simulator

I think that covers both CCNP and MCSA. I would really appreciate some feedback of any kind. Things I would like to know are:
1)Is there something missing to make it a complete lab for MSCA and CCNP?
2)Are there cheaper ways to do this?
3)Any for see-able problems that might be avoidable or have workarounds?
4)How do I know which IOS-version is required for the CCNP certifications?
5)When I buy the routers and they do not have the right IOS does it cost money to download them from cisco?
6)Anything else someone can add?

Thanks,
Josh Delcore
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

When you say "I am about to finish my CCNA", does it mean you don't have CCNA yet?

If you don't, then don't think of CCNP just yet. Focus on CCNA 1st, then go for CCNP if you wish. Keep in mind that you can never get CCNP before getting CCNA ....
josh delcore
join:2005-05-09
Barrington, IL

josh delcore

I am at the end of my ccna study and am just reviewing all the information...I will probably take the cert this week or early next week. This post is really sort of my break from studying.

webnetwiz
GNS3 and Olive baby
Premium Member
join:2004-09-22
Valley Village, CA

webnetwiz to josh delcore

Premium Member

to josh delcore
You can forget about those 2500s for your lab. CCNP exams have been revised, and you're better off getting 2600s for the lab, as they will serve you well for CCIE as well. That is if you want to spend thousands of dollars to get this lab, or you can just rent lab time for like $25 for an 8-hour slot.
csalazarv
Premium Member
join:2004-01-21
Costa Rica

csalazarv to josh delcore

Premium Member

to josh delcore
I would say you need at least 4 routers and they have to be 2600 or better (make sure you can run rather recent versions of IOS)

I am thinking of getting a 1800 in the future as they have two fast ethernet interfaces

The biggest problem seems to be the 3550 catalyst, that is really expensive

You can see what they use in the CCIE lab in cisco CCIE page, problem is since you are just going to start CCNP by the time you have enough knowledge for CCIE you may need even newer equiptment

Also you need what I call the "boring" equiptment, the ISDN simulator for example that will cost a fair amount of cash depending on what you get

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to aryoba

MVM,

to aryoba
said by aryoba:

Keep in mind that you can never get CCNP before getting CCNA ....
You can if you really know what you are doing and have experience. It depends on how much time you have to put into studying and how long you are willing to wait before having something to show for the work.

I jumped right to the CCIE. It still took me 2 years of solid studying but I did it.

webnetwiz
GNS3 and Olive baby
Premium Member
Valley Village, CA

Premium Member

to josh delcore
My lab consists of 3x 2621s, 1x 3620, 2x 3640, 1x 3725, 1x 1601 (not sure why I have it, sentimental purposes probably), 1x 2610 (term server) and I have a 2950 switch (I've got to get the 3550s, and I agree with csalazarv, they're too damn expensive to get for a home lab, maybe rolande has some for sale ? In any case, I used that to get my CCNP, and just need to add an ISDN simulator and the 3550s. With all this set up I'll still probably rent rack time, so that I can practice ATM and whatever else I don't have at home. Don't feel like buying a bulky LightStream 1010. I'll post some pics of my lab later on in the home/office forum.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by webnetwiz:

I've got to get the 3550s, and I agree with csalazarv, they're too damn expensive to get for a home lab, maybe rolande has some for sale ?
Nope. Not for sale. I spent a good 6 months collecting my lab equipment. I ended up not buying the ATM gear. I just rented rack time to study the relatively small amount of material on it. It wasn't worth shelling out a bunch of money for it.

Luckily for me, I was able to acquire hardware from work and did not have to buy a large majority of my equipment. I ended up spending about $4000 of my own money on various components and cables etc. I still probably saved close to $20,000 on the rest of my rack.

Now if I can only acquire a few PIXs and a VPN concentrator and an IDS probe I'll be close to a full Security lab.
csalazarv
Premium Member
Costa Rica

Premium Member

to josh delcore
"I'll be close to a full Security lab" then the wife says "OH NO NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

webnetwiz
GNS3 and Olive baby
Premium Member
Valley Village, CA

Premium Member

to josh delcore
My fiancee is freaked out already. Thinks I'm a nut, and then I remind her who pays the bills and what I have to do to stay competitive and make that $$$. I got a pix and a vpn 3002 hardware client, hope to get another pix and concentrator as well. Use that stuff at work, but can't play with gear anymore cause of SOX and change management (which is necessary, work isn't a playground, but when I mention a that we should get a test lab environment, everyone moans and groans, "That's rather expensive... blah, blah...")

Once the lab at my house is up, I'm gonna have SSH access to it from the Net, thank god for DSL Extreme and static IPs.
csalazarv
Premium Member
Costa Rica

Premium Member

to josh delcore
has anyone watched the video of "cisco christmas", when I showed it to my wife she knew I was really crazy LOL
Phraxos
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
UK

Phraxos

Premium Member

Now 3550s have gone EOL, how long before they change the exam requirements so you need a 3650/3750?

webnetwiz
GNS3 and Olive baby
Premium Member
Valley Village, CA

Premium Member

to josh delcore
Jeez, you're right, I just checked the site, and the bulletin is dated 5/17/2005 (#2771). Hmmm, now if only people on eBay lowered their prices, I'd be a happy camper!
Phraxos
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
UK

Phraxos

Premium Member

said by webnetwiz:

Jeez, you're right
......naturally

dpocoroba
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14

dpocoroba to Phraxos

Premium Member

to Phraxos
said by Phraxos:

Now 3550s have gone EOL, how long before they change the exam requirements so you need a 3650/3750?
Not anytime remotely soon I would have to guess. Beside the 3750 Commands are the same as a 3550. Minus of course some of the stacking commands but all in all, its an IOS

DP

webnetwiz
GNS3 and Olive baby
Premium Member
Valley Village, CA

Premium Member

to josh delcore
Hey, finally posted pics of my lab, check 'em out here:
»My Cisco lab is coming together. Finally!

photomankc3
Puffy And Prickly
Premium Member
join:2001-06-13
Liberty, MO

photomankc3

Premium Member

Are you just rolling in cash or what?

I'd give a left arm to get a setup like that. It would have to be an arm cause I don't have the cash.

webnetwiz
GNS3 and Olive baby
Premium Member
Valley Village, CA

Premium Member

to josh delcore
I wish I was rolling in cash. I'm rolling in 20K extra against my house (thank god for interest write off though). I just know that in the end it'll pay off. Some of the stuff I got from friends who have completed their training, some I got off of decomissionung older equipment and installing newer devices at my clients' businesses.
csalazarv
Premium Member
Costa Rica

Premium Member

to josh delcore
I need to find a decent rack

I dont need a full one, most of us do with those that are between 1/2 and 1/3 of a full rack