Wildwusel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Richardson, TX

Wildwusel

Premium Member

Domain question

Click for full size
Could someone explain why my “Domain” shows up as hsd1.wa.comcast.net, as opposed to tx?
Thanks in advance.

Epikos
Surpass the Usual or Ordinary
Premium Member
join:2003-07-27
Vancouver, WA

Epikos

Premium Member

My first guess is it's just a fluke. Your modem probably pulled in IP that was allocated to a WA CMTS pool. How this happened, I dunno. I imagine they're a regional thing, so I don't know how it happened. but thats the only thing I can think of that would cause your rdns lookup to pull wa.comcast.net

Maybe someone with more experience will have some more input?

-Shapeless
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to Wildwusel

Premium Member

to Wildwusel
if comcast recently adjusted which IPs belong to which regions one of two things might be true:

1) comcast has not updated the PTR records yet, so it's still marked as a WA IP
2) the PTR record change hasn't propogated throughout the internet, so some servers still show it as a WA IP.
tiggntaz1
join:2005-04-25
Cherry Hill, NJ

tiggntaz1 to Wildwusel

to Wildwusel
Something also could be wrong with your account and the modem is getting it's IP from the wrong DHCP server

Wildwusel
Premium Member
Richardson, TX

Wildwusel

Premium Member

I guess. I’m wondering wheatear I need to call Comcast, or just leave well enough alone….? As a rule, I don’t contact tech support unless it’s really critical.

J D McDorce
Premium Member
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI

J D McDorce

Premium Member

It doesn't make that big a difference in the grand scheme of things, so you are probably best off leaving it alone.

Besides, you'd probably confuse the hell out of a Tier 1 CSR
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to Wildwusel

Premium Member

to Wildwusel
agreed. Who knows what tech support might break while trying to fix it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Wildwusel

MVM

to Wildwusel
said by Wildwusel:

Could someone explain why my “Domain” shows up as hsd1.wa.comcast.net, as opposed to tx?
Thanks in advance.
Technically speaking, your domain name is showing up as "comcast.net". "Hsd1.wa.comcast.net" is just a part of the ptr record for your public IP address. It appears to be something like SBC's Redback routers. Here is my "domain name"; it identifies a Redback "router", which I believe is also an aggregator: dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net. It is just the common part of the ptr record for your connection; the user specific part has been dropped. To see the whole ptr record, or DNS name, you need to run your IP address through an rDNS lookup. The Sam Spade DNS lookup says:

06/12/05 23:44:39 dns 64.161.28.174
nslookup 64.161.28.174
Canonical name: adsl-64-161-28-174.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
Addresses:
You have no control over that, it is set by the Comcast network administrators.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

Qumahlin to tiggntaz1

MVM

to tiggntaz1
said by tiggntaz1:

Something also could be wrong with your account and the modem is getting it's IP from the wrong DHCP server
Not possible.

Wildwusel
Premium Member
Richardson, TX

Wildwusel

Premium Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated. As usual, this is a great forum for receiving information & assistance.