how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

frantech7

join:2005-06-21
La Porte, IN

[policy and politics] Download limit

Does Verizon DSL have a monthly download limit? I got booted from Comcast for too much downloading (200 Gigs) and there would be no reason to sign up with Verizon if they are going to do the same.

Thanks
Fran

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

I don't believe anyone has ever reported having their Verizon DSL service canceled due to the amount they downloaded.

Did Comcast not warn you first or did they just cancel your service more or less without notice?

mikepd
Discovery
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-26
New Port Richey, FL
reply to frantech7
I have hear complaints about ISP companies before but this is the first time I have heard of someone being disconnected for downloading too much in a given time period. Why did they not just bill you more money, give you a warning, or some other step before taking such drastic action?

I have never heard of Verizon Online sending even a letter about downloading too much from their network much less sending a letter threatening a subscriber with a disconnect notice for normal use.

Mike
--
Always Reach Beyond Your Grasp

frantech7

join:2005-06-21
La Porte, IN
reply to frantech7
What they did was diconnect me and about a week later call me up and tell me I was a bandwidth hog. They also told me that I couldn't re-sign up with them for a year.

Fran

mikepd
Discovery
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-26
New Port Richey, FL
reply to frantech7
That is cold, no wonder there are people who call Comcast- Comcrap. As with any ISP, there are those who can tell ongoing negative experiences with VOL but even though I had my own 3 month install saga where it took that long to get the speed I had ordered due to the fact that their was a discrepancy in VOL's records versus what my line could truly handle, n the years since my line was turned up in 2001, I have had about 12 hours of downtime.
--
Always Reach Beyond Your Grasp

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Comcast is known for sending out warning letters and/or disconnecting service without notice (though often times, if customers call after being disconnected without any other warning, they're given a verbal warning).

What makes it especially sucky is that Comcast will not state for the record how much downloading is too much. From reading the Comcast forum, it's clear that it varies widely.

brk3b2
Clarinetist

join:2004-04-12
Brooklyn, NY
reply to frantech7
Alot of people have horrible speeds, why would they be downloading that much and the few that have rock solid connections wont cause verizon to do anything.

Zhou5

join:2005-06-10
V2GP2P
reply to frantech7
Don't recall seeing anything in the Terms of Service, but I'll look over them again.

www2.verizon.net/policies/tos.asp

Zhou

cybtropic

@east.verizon.ne
reply to frantech7
I have had verizon dsl for 5+ years and have been downloading alot. I go over 200 gigs some months but typically between 100-200 gigs and never had any problems or letters. Definitely no limits (for now at least). This is also one of the reasons I have stayed with verizon and not switched to CumCast (unlimited internet my ass).

FishNET

join:2004-07-01
Haddonfield, NJ
reply to frantech7
Verizon has absolutely no bandwidth limits.

Last month's usage:

Down: 66.05GB Up: 101.61GB Total: 167.66GB

This month's usage (so far):

Down: 63.93GB Up: 103.14GB Total: 167.08GB

One month I intentionally downloaded alot of stuff, I did around 20 gigs a day for several weeks, and nothing ever happened to me.

Therefore, we know that Verizon is pure 0wnag3 when it comes to bandwidth whores.

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL

1 edit
I'm assuming you're going for Verizons 29.95$ 3.0/768 plan, do it if you can get it. Just be very prepared in the first 30 days of your trial before you go into a contract. You may have to call Verizon A LOT to get the 3.0 service you ordered. This isn't only my experience, however it could go smooth for you as well.

For the money though, Verizon kicks Comcast's ass hands down. Read my review, my last ISP was Comcast (even though I never got warned for my almost perfectly consistent 120Gb months).

- Stephie
________
"Lemons and burnt oranges would come barreling down the skyway on the draw if the dark grey cats didn't open up and let those girls twirl in their fluffy new dresses"

oliphant
I Have 8 Boobies
Premium
join:2004-11-26
Corona, CA
reply to frantech7
Yeah Comcrap sucks. I had them too. I'm a download whore and never hear as much as a peep from VZ in all the time I've had them.

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL

2 edits
reply to Darkfairy
mis-post, ignore.

Tj

join:2003-05-01
Nutley, NJ
reply to frantech7
Maybe you should not tell how much bandwidth is being used as a good thing or keep a post like this going.
They read the posts. Don't give them any ideas.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
reply to frantech7
If there was a limit would they tell me online / by phone / by snail mail (ex: postcard) how much bandwidth that I used? Also how much the limit of bandwidth I could use?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
said by aefstoggaflm:

If there was a limit would they tell me online / by phone / by snail mail (ex: postcard) how much bandwidth that I used? Also how much the limit of bandwidth I could use?
For usage you can use something like DU Meter. Verizon doesn't have a limit as far as we know.