rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

HOWTO set Verizon c90-610015-06 router to BRIDGED

Greetings, I just did a search and read quite a few post on howto set Bellsouth modems and one for the Verizon but can not find one that answers it for me.

The software has a button for private and public lan and I played with all those settings and was not able to do it, does any guru in here have the proper way to set this to a dumb bridge? I have a Linksys that handles the rest.

thank you.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

Re: HOWTO set Verizon c90-610015-06 router to BRID

I've got both the 6100 and the Versalink and got them each into Bridge Mode by following these basic steps (from the FAQ »(FAQ #11836 no longer exists)) though the exact menu names probably differ slightly:

FIRST (not in the FAQ) if you're in Verizon territory, be sure to RELEASE the IP address. Also, if you need it to be an IP address other than 192.168.1.1 take care of that before continuing.

Second: turn off DHCP.

Go to Configuration --> Advanced LAN --> Private LAN

Uncheck “Private LAN DHCP Server Enable”.

Enable “Private LAN”

Third: Configure VC for Bridge Mode

Go to Configuration --> Advanced WAN --> WAN

Click on the "Edit" button next to the VCI that has “enabled” in the status windows (this is usually the first VCI)

A window will pop up entitled “VC 1 Configuration”.

Go to the bottom half to the section entitled “VC 1 – Bridge Settings”

Go to the “Mode” drop down box and select “Bridge”

Click on “Set VC” at the bottom to save your setting.

Click OK when asked to reset the modem.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

Thanks, the vc settings really helped, the problem is this Westell 6100 router grabs a IP by default and I found no place to release the lease, so that when I hooked up the Linksys it did not work(or the computer), one thing I did notice (just got back from vacation) is that I now have a 2 hour lease in the Westell, something I did not want, because if you have a problem(such as this westell not releasing a lease) now it will take that much longer to get a new ip #.

I did finally find the MAC# on this westell under summary and was able to put that on the Linksys using the other modem I bought on Ebay, guess this morning I will try again as it did get slightly better numbers on it eventhough it uses the same tr7 chipset.

BTW I did follow your instructions to the letter, the computer hooked straight to the Westell NEVER got a IP assigned from Verizon's DHCP, that is why I went back to the old modem(bridged) and the Linksys using the CLONED MAC# of the Westell as it was on a 2 hour lease, now I will try to release it from the linksys as it has the ability to do that.

this 6100 has the worst software and names I've ever seen.Westell really needs to get on it AFAIC.

public lan?=DMZ ?

how about a simple bridge item that takes care of it all in one step!

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

public lan?=DMZ ?
If it is at all similar to the 2200, then DMZ is "static NAT", which you set in the "service configuration" page.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to rtcy

Premium Member

to rtcy

Someone else in the Verizon forum mentioned having problems releasing the IP. I probably should have written down exactly what I did (I would have done it all over from scratch for you but hubby is home ) There's like one place to release it in that (super lousy) interface.

The only thing I liked about the 6100 when we first got it was it renewed properly at 8 mins on a 15 minute DHCP lease but then like you said, with the two hour lease, it really sucks.

So, I'm not sure if you got it working or not and if not, if you still want to If so, I'll got through the set up process and write up better instructions

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

Someone else in the Verizon forum mentioned having problems releasing the IP. I probably should have written down exactly what I did (I would have done it all over from scratch for you but hubby is home ) There's like one place to release it in that (super lousy) interface.

The only thing I liked about the 6100 when we first got it was it renewed properly at 8 mins on a 15 minute DHCP lease but then like you said, with the two hour lease, it really sucks.

So, I'm not sure if you got it working or not and if not, if you still want to If so, I'll got through the set up process and write up better instructions
Cowgirl your intructions were right on the money!, USUALLY I RTFM before I ask questions(this time I did it after,just did it now), but I must admit this has been a rough month for me and just returned from the vacation from hell(hurricane and all). I guess the adventurer in me is DEAD I messed around with this modem the day I was to leave on vacation only briefly, and then yesterday, this morning as I tought on my last post, I just hooked up the Linksys using the CLONED MAC of the Westell 6100 and voila I'm back in business. I'll leave it alone until I get the next version from sveasoft, then I'll just do a release and when I reboot I will go back to my regular MAC#
rtcy

rtcy to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

public lan?=DMZ ?
If it is at all similar to the 2200, then DMZ is "static NAT", which you set in the "service configuration" page.
thanks for that info, I'm going to let the Linksys do it

all I can say for Westell's nomenclature is that it's AWFUL! it does not seem to follow standard names used in the industry by other modem OEM's.

Somehow "static nat" does not invoke visions of a DMZ in my mind. it sounds more like the sveasoft term for static ips issued by the DHCP server on the lan side, so that machines in the house that you relly on for servers or vpn can remain with the same ip internally all the time, but that's just me.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to rtcy

Premium Member

to rtcy

Yeah, playing around with confusing equipment when you're low on adventuresome spirit is no fun

MAC cloning saved my butt with our cable connection earlier this week as I was trying to get that and the Westell modem(s) working with our dual WAN router.

It's all pretty slick now but I had some real hair-pulling moments off and on!
DougG3
join:2002-07-15
La Grande, OR

DougG3 to rtcy

to rtcy

Re: HOWTO set Verizon c90-610015-06 router to BRIDGED

I'm the one who paradisecowgirl was referring to about the DHCP problems. Anyway, yeah, MAC cloning is the way to go! I would have done that, but my router only lets me clone the MAC address of the computer that is connected to its config page (kind of dumb). Anyway, I have a Versalink and I had to basically have two config page windows open. In one, I clicked release (which I believe was on one of the Connection Status pages) and then I quickly switched to the other one and put it in bridge mode. I had both windows set up ahead of time so I would only have to click the buttons. I believe what you are experiencing is that (at least for me) it automatically tries to renew the IP as soon as you click release. I don't know how the 6100 works but that's how the Versalink seems to work. So I changed it to bridge mode right after it released but before it tried to auto renew and all was well. Looks like you've got it figured out with MAC cloning though

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

Re: HOWTO set Verizon c90-610015-06 router to BRID

said by DougG3:

I'm the one who paradisecowgirl was referring to about the DHCP problems. Anyway, yeah, MAC cloning is the way to go! I would have done that, but my router only lets me clone the MAC address of the computer that is connected to its config page (kind of dumb). Anyway, I have a Versalink and I had to basically have two config page windows open. In one, I clicked release (which I believe was on one of the Connection Status pages) and then I quickly switched to the other one and put it in bridge mode. I had both windows set up ahead of time so I would only have to click the buttons. I believe what you are experiencing is that (at least for me) it automatically tries to renew the IP as soon as you click release. I don't know how the 6100 works but that's how the Versalink seems to work. So I changed it to bridge mode right after it released but before it tried to auto renew and all was well. Looks like you've got it figured out with MAC cloning though
my appologies, I did not know that(and it was not on the post above). too bad you don't have a Linksys or Netgear or one of the many routers that allows you to clone a MAC#, cause then it would be a matter of writting down the MAC of the versalink and putting it in the other router as I did.

no the 6100 does not try to renew the link as the versalink is doing to you, the problem I was having is that up until last week if you put on another machine or MAC# it WAS giving you a IP#, but now they took it away and only ONE mac works, and since I did not know the lease had been raised to 2 hours I was not getting the Linksys to obtain a IP using it's native MAC#, also I found no way to release the IP/lease within the 610015-06 so I cloned it and all is ok.
DougG3
join:2002-07-15
La Grande, OR

DougG3

said by rtcy:

my appologies, I did not know that(and it was not on the post above). too bad you don't have a Linksys or Netgear or one of the many routers that allows you to clone a MAC#, cause then it would be a matter of writting down the MAC of the versalink and putting it in the other router as I did.
Hey, I think I'm a little confused now, I was just saying that I was the one who paradisecowgirl mentioned when saying someone in the Verizon forum had issues with release/renew Yeah, cloning a MAC is the way to go it seems! Oh well, once you can get the IP released, everything is fine.
said by rtcy:

no the 6100 does not try to renew the link as the versalink is doing to you, the problem I was having is that up until last week if you put on another machine or MAC# it WAS giving you a IP#, but now they took it away and only ONE mac works, and since I did not know the lease had been raised to 2 hours I was not getting the Linksys to obtain a IP using it's native MAC#, also I found no way to release the IP/lease within the 610015-06 so I cloned it and all is ok.
Yeah, that's the same problem I had. The Versalink was getting an IP from Verizon, so the "working" MAC address was the Versalink's, and when I put it into bridge mode, the Versalink's MAC was still the one Verizon had, so my router couldn't get an IP from Verizon So finally I was able to release the IP from the Versalink -before- putting it into bridge mode, so that way it cleared the MAC address. By "renewing the link" I mean when I clicked release on the Versalink, it auto-renewed the IP immediately. Was doing this to get the Versalink's MAC out of Verizon's DHCP servers. Well anyway, I'm really surprised there isn't a way to release on the 6100. But yeah...so that's what I meant. Hope I didn't confuse anyone. hehe

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by DougG3:

I'm really surprised there isn't a way to release on the 6100.
There is rtcy just missed and I can't recall which page it's on precisely because I spent a day and a half configuring both the Versalink and the 6100 here for our network. The (really rotten, very bad) user interface is all a blur now

Riss_Centaur
Mod'taur - - - - 4 On The Floor.
MVM,
join:2004-01-20
Chicago, IL

2 edits

Riss_Centaur

MVM,

(topic move) HOWTO set Verizon c90-610015-06 router to BRID

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »Problem - Westell used with WRT54G router. Help!

Instead of tacking on to old threads, folks with new issues should start their own topic so it is more easily seen.
Thanks!