2 edits

1 recommendation

TK421

Premium Member

MSAS new version 615 released!

Here we go again.
quote:
Beta 1 Versions
Since releasing Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) on January 6, 2005 (Build 1.0.501), we have continued to receive feedback from customers. We introduced a beta refresh on February 16, 2005 (Build 1.0.509) which enhanced some of the real-time protection agents, added new threat categories, and improved stability and performance.

An updated beta refresh released on June 23, 2005 (Build 1.0.613), introduced enhancements to the detection and removal capabilities, including improved Winsock LSP removal capabilities and support for long descriptions of categorized software. In addition, we have also extended the Windows AntiSpyware beta expiration date to December 31, 2005.

The latest beta refresh, build 1.0.615, addresses issues pertaining to how Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) provides information to the user about processes running on a PC, solves an issue regarding the delivery of new anti-spyware signatures for some customers and provides new signature updates to help protect against recently identified spyware.

Existing users of the beta (Builds 1.0.501, 1.0.509, 1.0.613, and 1.0.614) will receive a software update that includes the new beta refresh. The new beta refresh is also available for download through this site.

[Edit] »www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· ylang=en

richter35
Premium Member
join:2004-01-03
Croatia

richter35

Premium Member

Re: MSAS new version 6.15 released!

Thanks for update. I wasn't expecting any new release for months. Glad to see MS is active on bringing updates/fixes to MSAS, even if it is minor release.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to TK421

Mod

to TK421
I just ran a manual update and it says there is nothing for me.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

3 recommendations

jbob to TK421

Premium Member

to TK421
From Steve Dobson's Weblog:
»blogs.technet.com/stevedod/

AntiSpyware (Beta) Build 615 Releasing This Evening

It has been a few weeks since the last update, and the A/S team needed some work to do so we decided that we should release build 615 to the web. Actually, we wanted to correct an issue found with the signature update mechanism and we wanted to get an updated build out there this week. Starting in the next hour or so, beta testers will be able to download the updated build from the web (»www.microsoft.com/spyware) or wait for the automatic update to the software. Also addressed in this release is an improvement on how Windows AntiSpyware beta provides information to the user about processes running on a PC. Because of a limitation in the installer, users will have to reboot as soon as they update the package. We are working on reducing the reboot requirement for beta 2. We have been testing this new build for about a week now and it does resolve the signature update issue. Please post to the newsgroups if you see any issues or have any comments on this new build.

-steve
posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 7:30 PM by stevedod

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Thanks jbob! I guess it's not time for auto updates to go out yet especially as it's not 7:30 PM here yet.
boblandy2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06

boblandy2 to TK421

Premium Member

to TK421

Re: MSAS new version 615 released!

said by TK421:

and provides new signature updates
i got the new 1.0.615 build just fine but i am not getting a signature update newer than version 5735.

is anyone getting what will probably be version 5737?

thank you

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob to TK421

Premium Member

to TK421
And for those who might not know there is a USENET server available for MS spyware stuff. I found this posted on GRC and it works for me. Much better than the web access news.

Server:
privatenews.microsoft.com

Account Name:
privatenews\spyware

Password:
spyware

I saw a post from Steve Dobson this afternoon on one of those newsgroups making the .615 announcement. Post was a 20:02.

bkgam
Virtus In Ardus
Premium Member
join:2004-08-04
USA

1 recommendation

bkgam to boblandy2

Premium Member

to boblandy2
said by boblandy2:
said by TK421:

i got the new 1.0.615 build just fine but i am not getting a signature update newer than version 5735.

thank you
Same as you here.
Just Bob
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob to boblandy2

Premium Member

to boblandy2
said by boblandy2:

said by TK421:

thank you
Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.615
This version expires on: 12/31/2005
Spyware Definition Version: 5735 (7/18/2005 10:10:33 PM)

Notice the date? Hmmmm

TK421
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Canada

TK421 to boblandy2

Premium Member

to boblandy2
said by boblandy2:

thank you

Maybe the new signatures referred to on the download page are just for those who didn't get them in previous versions. Mine says this:

Spyware Definition Version: 5735 (7/14/2005 10:00:43 PM)

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR

jbob

Premium Member

Funny I just downloaded for the third time and still am getting the .614 build.
boblandy2
Premium Member

boblandy2 to TK421

Premium Member

to TK421
said by TK421:

Maybe the new signatures referred to on the download page are just for those who didn't get them in previous versions. Mine says this:
Spyware Definition Version: 5735 (7/14/2005 10:00:43 PM)
me too
boblandy2

boblandy2 to jbob

Premium Member

to jbob
said by jbob:

Funny I just downloaded for the third time and still am getting the .614 build
try this...

1)leave MSAS running
2)do not open the download page from within the program, just go to the beta site separately... like clicking here »www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· ylang=en
3)after downloading but prior to running the update, CLOSE your browser

see if that works

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 edit

jbob

Premium Member

For crying out loud, how would that help? lol

Ok tried again, as you said, and still installed the .614 version. Perhaps I am getting a different server at MS to dowload from and the updated file has not migrated all the way yet.

BTW, I always went to the Beta site to download it from and not from within MSAS itself. The only difference this time is I tried installing over itself. The other times I uninstalled first. Every time I download it I simply rename the downloaded installer. I now have 4 files all the same size and all the .614 version.

My downloaded file shows 6,658 KB.

TK421
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Canada

TK421

Premium Member

Did you download from this link?

»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· ylang=en

The file I got is 6.54 MB (6,860,424 bytes)

You could also just wait for MSAS to update itself in the next day or two...

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR

jbob

Premium Member

Yep same link/page. Clicked on the one you posted just in case and got the same bad one again.
Per properties - size 6.50 KB(6,816,904)
size on disk (6,819,840)
boblandy2
Premium Member

boblandy2 to jbob

Premium Member

to jbob
said by jbob:

For crying out loud, how would that help? lol
well for crying out loud it helped someone else once, and it helped me, so i passed it along, hoping it would help you too

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

And thanks for the help always. I just didn't see how that would help in my situation.

Makes me wonder how others are upgrading? I simply go to the Microsoft MSAS Beta page and download the most current installer. It should be the 615 version but apparently not always. Siljaline is reporting a hit or miss on GRC as well. Downloading the correct installer should make no difference whether MSAS is running or not or whether MSAS is even installed or not. My head is spinning now!

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy to TK421

MVM

to TK421
out of 2 desktops, and a laptop, my main computer had a pop up for the update. I let it update and after checking settings etc. I went to check for updates to see if it had a loop and it just hung there. It totally locked up the program so it wasn't responding at all. I had to do a hard reboot by holding the power button.. Then I uninstalled and removed everything except the main folder it was installed in. I had to go back to the .614 version. I'll wait awhile before upgrading again.

side note: second desktop doesn't show any updates available. No popup for the update either. I haven't checked the laptop yet. Probably wait till tomorrow to do so...

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium Member
join:2002-09-24
Palmer, AK

Owlbet to TK421

Premium Member

to TK421
No problems, I let MSAS do it's thing on it's own.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

1 edit

Steely to TK421

Premium Member

to TK421
Is a successful update to Build 615 dependent on which version of the gcUnCompress.dll file is already in the System32 folder or does it simply overwrite whatever's there? Many of us had "fixed" Build 614 by manually changing that file.

dorfman
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
North Royalton, OH

dorfman

Premium Member

After I updated to build 615, those files changed versions:
gcUnCompress.dll is now version 2.0.615.13
GCCollection.dll and Hashlib.dll are at version 1.0.615.10

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

Thanks. I went ahead and updated and was just about to post about the new version of gcUnCompress.dll. I didn't realize those other files were updated too but it makes sense. Now let's see if everything works right from here on out.
weirdalex
join:2004-10-30
Belton, MO

weirdalex to TK421

to TK421
well... i downloaded this last night, from Microsoft's site, and ended up with version 1.0.614.
OK, so I uninstall and clean my registry. Rebooted, and re-installed. version .... 1.0.614
I see this thread on here, and go download and reinstall again, guess what?
That's right ... version 1.0.614
So, now what?
How are some people getting 1.0.615 and others getting 1.0.615 ?
I know it is not a big deal; but still if/when an update is available, why aren't we all getting it ?
rdhw
join:2002-09-21
Cambridge UK

rdhw

said by weirdalex:

i downloaded this last night, from Microsoft's site, and ended up with version 1.0.614.
In control panel Internet options, empty your Temporary Internet Files, including the option for offline content. Then download the installer again by following the download links from http://www.microsoft.com/spyware/ . Before running the installer, check the downloaded installer binary by right-clicking it and selecting Properties, tab "Digital Signature". The date/time of the Digital Signature for the installer for 615 should be 13 July 2005 18:44:35 GMT (adjust displayed time for your timezone).

The other possibility is that you are attempting a download from one of Microsoft's internal mirror servers that has not updated yet. Just keep trying, once per day.

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob to TK421

Premium Member

to TK421
Ok tried again this morning and still got the 614 version to download. So I thought WTH, I'm gonna clear my browser cache and try again. I cleared the IE and Fx cache(I use Fx) and Voila, got the correct installer. Now I am confused. Just how does clearing the browser cache help me get the correct file downloaded? Is the browser not downloading the file(again)I select for download because it already see's the same file name in it's cache? FWIW, everytime I downloaded the file I gave it a different name to help identify it after download.

Pole883
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Schenectady, NY

Pole883 to TK421

Premium Member

to TK421
Got it........good to go!!

Be well...

Mike
rdhw
join:2002-09-21
Cambridge UK

rdhw to jbob

to jbob
said by jbob:

I cleared the IE and Fx cache(I use Fx) and Voila, got the correct installer. Now I am confused. Just how does clearing the browser cache help me get the correct file downloaded?
Microsoft do not change the name of the posted file when they update it. So if there is a stale copy in your Temporary Internet Files (or any other web cache), the browser will read the stale copy rather than downloading a fresh one.

The name you choose to save it with has no effect on the cache.

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

3 edits

jbob

Premium Member

Yep guess I learned a little more about how the browser cache works. Good to know stuff for future reference.

?? Is it just the file name or does the source file location affect this also?

This also brings up another interesting question! With all the recent spate of definition updates issues, how does the browser cache come into play with this, if it does? I know I read many recommendations to clear the cache. If one uses the MSAS updater to check on a definition update, is the browser cache used in this instance? If so which cache is used? IE, Fx, ?? Does it depend on which browser is set as the default browser? Do other program updaters use the cache as well? Spybot, Ad-Aware, etc.

Edit:
Just did a simple test. Sure enough an MSAS definition update uses the IE tif even though Fx is the default browser.
Just Bob
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob to rdhw

Premium Member

to rdhw
said by rdhw:

Microsoft do not change the name of the posted file when they update it. So if there is a stale copy in your Temporary Internet Files (or any other web cache), the browser will read the stale copy rather than downloading a fresh one.

The name you choose to save it with has no effect on the cache.
There's a setting in IE, Tools | Internet Options | Settings, that allows 4 options to check for newer versions of stored pages. What effect, if any, does that setting have on the problem?