« utility, need and more Luxury/Utility »
This is a sub-selection from Luxury

Ender_W
Does Microsoft Mean Small And Squishy?

join:2002-09-14
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Cod

Re: Luxury

Actually, I completely agree with you. Its still a luxury. Necessity and utilities are something that you cant live with out. Internet is not one of those yet. It may be in the future but even then its hard to imagine everyone having computers like everyone has electricity or water services.
--
There is enough youth. How bout a fountain of smart...

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2

I second that, and agree with Cod. Broadband is a luxury, all be it, a very useful one.

I see someone above stated that broadband is a utility because a lot of people don't have a telephone, and a telephone is a utility.

I think that's specious reasoning. The telephone has become the defacto medium to summons emergency services, and has been for the past 50 years.

Not too many people are logging on to call the police when a burglar is trying to break into their house, or their house is on fire.

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Seward, AK

While your points are very valid, I would still have to say its a utility. there are many people who need internet access, especially broadband, to conduct thier lives. I do all my banking online because I dont get off work untill the banks are closed, the store I work for recently told us that they wont give us pay stubs anymore, we have to go online and see them, etc. I know I COULD still do those things on dial up, but, that would tie up the phone line, and the cost of two lines and a dial up ISP is about the same as one broadband account. Also, since we dont have call waiting, (its like an extra $10 package for call waiting/caller ID and stuff), when I did have dial up, I couldnt stay one long enough to do anything useful because I didnt want to miss a phone call.

I see points on both sides, but for me, and many others I'm sure, it would seriously hamper our ability to conduct our dialy lives without it.
--
"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson." - Bart Simpson

Ender_W
Does Microsoft Mean Small And Squishy?

join:2002-09-14
Saint Louis, MO

Try looking at it from this angle. All of those things you do online just offer a higher level of convienence. Banks can be visited ( im with you on the never open part. I work nights as well) and bills can be mailed. While broadband and the internet as a whole has made your life easier, you wouldn't be left cold or in the dark without it. Im not saying your wrong at all, Im just playing Devil's Advocate.
--
There is enough youth. How bout a fountain of smart...