Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

BroadBand is a luxury moving towards utility

Back when phone service and indoor plumbing were new, they were luxuries. The very rich had them and the poorer folks made due without. As time went on, more and more people became accustomed to life with these services. At some point, they shifted from being a luxury to being a utility. (Meaning that an average person was able to expect access to such a service at a reasonable rate.)

Broadband is still a luxury, IMO, but it is quickly moving to the utility stage. Many services are beginning to assume that you have high-speed Internet access. This, combined with the growing broadband-enabled population percentage, means that a person without broadband is going to be significantly "left behind" from society at large. I don't think we're quite at that point yet, but in a few years we just may be.

Incidentally, I'd qualify a "right" as something so essential to life that a person cannot be denied access to it and, in some cases, can't be charged for it. (Beyond what you pay in taxes if the government runs the service.)

Indoor plumbing has progressed far enough that it's a right. While you still might have some very rural areas without indoor plumbing, most do and it's virtually assumed to be present. Try selling a home in 99% of the country if said home doesn't have any indoor plumbing. ("A nice view of the city from your spacious outhouse." ) Broadband definitely hasn't progressed to the "right" stage yet.
--
-Jason Levine
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/
http://www.PCQandA.com/
http://www.urateit.com/

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1
yes it would suck not to have the internet but you DON'T NEED IT your not gonna die from not surfing the net (well atleast not all of us ) I say luxary item besides stroll down to your public libary if you want to hop on the net ITS FREE.
--
"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious."- Alan Minter, Boxer"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."- Britney Spears, Pop Singer

wifi rocks

@verizon.net
reply to Jason Levine
said by "Jason Levine":
Broadband is still a luxury, IMO, but it is quickly moving to the utility stage. Many services are beginning to assume that you have high-speed Internet access. This, combined with the growing broadband-enabled population percentage, means that a person without broadband is going to be significantly "left behind" from society at large. I don't think we're quite at that point yet, but in a few years we just may be.
You make some very good points there. I just wanted to throw something else out - what about health care? In terms of the overall good of society, and not creating an arbitrary set of "haves" and "have nots" - shouldn't we be worried about such far more basic quality-of-life type things like health care, before we care about whether or not we have higher-speed access to the internet? Just a thought, even though it is slightly OT for this thread.