All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

SinNisTeR
@67.96.x.x

SinNisTeR to woodward

Anon

to woodward

Re: Is there any update to UTOPIA in utah?

Bump this thread up!

I live in West Valley and everyday I dream of FIO. I have a linksys wrt54g, so it's bad news when I hear anyone else having issues. Anyone with more information?
Darklord_21
join:2006-03-28
Salt Lake City, UT

Darklord_21 to Skidus2

to Skidus2
I have the Utopia Fiber Running through At&t. I chose At&t because they didn't have the 100 gig cap (Which yes I have gone over). I cam getting pretty close to 15 mbps
-Christopher the Delorean guy

CableFreak
join:2004-10-13
Morehead, KY

CableFreak to MSauk

to MSauk
Which UTOPIA isp has the 100gb cap?
warshaw
join:2000-07-27
Orem, UT

warshaw to woodward

to woodward
Woodard,

How long until Xmission offers phone service, I still have an active dial-up account with Xmission, business account, and Web hosting. Got to say I love Xmission! Because Mstar came to Orem first, I signed up with them for Utopia network service, (and phone and TV) mistake, mistake, mistake! The latency issues are a joke, speeds nowhere near 15/15 up-and-down, closer to 2, hell I had that with Qwest DSL through Xmission. I cancel the TV after three months of worse then off air antennas. The phone service is a joke, background noise, echo’s, dropped calls, caller ID not working, you get the idea to many to write about. I have had both Utopia and Mstar technicians to my house seven times now. A four-hour window, they should be paying me. I have had Vonage for two years, great service, no problems like the above, so it’s not voice over IP. Anyway long story short Mstar, time to dump! How long until Xmission has phone service available? Also any true test on a end-user speeds, not the fake ones like Mstar gives you from inside the network, or the head end server?

Thanks Warshaw
lowkickqop
join:2006-04-12
Draper, UT

lowkickqop to MSauk

to MSauk
I am getting fiber optic in Orem, I am into gaming and want the best ping times. Is one service going to be better than the other in terms of ping not speed?
lowkickqop

lowkickqop

how hard is it to get utopa installed in an apartment complex?
Skidus2
join:2002-10-06
Salt Lake City, UT

Skidus2

said by lowkickqop:

how hard is it to get utopa installed in an apartment complex?
I am not sure if they offer it to apartments yet.Best thing to do would be call. I know when I lived in Murray my apartments were surrounded on 3 sides with it and I couldn't get it due to an agreement the apartments had with Comcast.
lowkickqop
Draper, UT

lowkickqop

I called and they said they would let me know tomorrow but they told me that in order to get it in an apartment I had to talk with the apartment manager, is there any good way to approach this?
Skidus2
Salt Lake City, UT

Skidus2

I would think they would have to dig on the property to do the installation, not sure as I never had it. Maybe someone else here would know.
I brought up the fact that having more options at the complex would make it more attractive to potential renters, and that the office could get off of their slow dsl line as well.
I really didn't pursue it as I was moving within the year but you might want to try it.

Good luck

KCpwnsGMAN
@comcast.net

KCpwnsGMAN to Skidus2

Anon

to Skidus2
I called Xmission about the appartment situation, they called me back and said that were unable at the current time, but they do offer it for appartments, (some company that deals with dwellings went over budget)
lowkickqop
Draper, UT

lowkickqop

I called around today trying to get utopia setup in an apt but they all said that basically half the complex has to be signed up for it to be installed there...

i wish there was a way to get around this...
Skidus2
Salt Lake City, UT

Skidus2

I have had great luck with Comcast you might try them. I bought a house in West Valley and I also brought my $32.00 a month 8/768 plan with me from Murray. Maybe you could get a lower price from Comcast because you are in a Utopia area.
Unless you can get half of the tenants in your complex to sign up then Comcast or dsl might be your only options.
lowkickqop
Draper, UT

lowkickqop to MSauk

to MSauk
i just called and talked with a represenative from utopia and they told me the place i am living is under negotiations with quest for lines above my house...

wish i knew how long that took. all the person on the phone could tell me is that it could be 1 day could be 1 year.

:|

therawbaggard
@xmission.com

therawbaggard to MSauk

Anon

to MSauk
I have UTOPIA with XMission, just got it on the 2nd (5/2/2006). Service is great.

I have a handful of Counter-Strike servers with a ping time of UNDER 10ms. It's like being on a lan. I have also abused my bandwidth a bit and fired up a few torrents at the same time, and made it all the way up to the 15Mbps (down AND UP).

The 100Gig limit is a little bit of a downer, but it still is a decent amount of traffic, but with my Comcast connection, I think I went over 100Gigs only once. The MStar flyer I got claimed a 2Gig limit per month on their connections, which just seems stupidly low to me (that is 1/4th of the debian install DVD set).

Otherwise, I've been extremely happy. Now I just wish that the rest of the internet could keep up. The speed test report system doesn't even let me enter the correct "purchased" upload speed, and it just clumps my results in the "10 meg and above" category.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

any update on this, like more areas being serviced now?

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
join:2001-04-12
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34 to MSauk

to MSauk
Alright, where in WVC is it at the moment? I am off 64th west and I have heard nothing about it out this way. Last I enquired about it to Utopia they said it was mainly off of Redwood. Is this still the case?
crazyroach
join:2006-06-26
Orem, UT

crazyroach to MSauk

to MSauk
Is anyone else on Mstar having video pausing? I will be watching tv video and audio will freeze, audio starts back up then the video a second later. Its really annoying!

I switched from comcast to Mstar since i was getting screwed by comcast until another option came to town and they dropped the price to compete. Little bit lame for them to realize the monopoly had come to an end.

The problem with Mstar is the service is only so so on all sides. I was woo'ed by promises of 15mb's up/down, NOT EVEN CLOSE!

My neighbor signed up with xmission at the same time and was not promised the same, but they delivered. I did speed test on my connection and then on his, same test sites including Mstar's joke of a test. Xmission beat every test except the Mstar one, go figure.

Called Mstar time after time and have not had any answers. As soon as there is something besides Mstar for video and phone I will be switching.

Anyways back to the original question. Pausing Video anyone?
Skidus2
Salt Lake City, UT

Skidus2 to yeti34

to yeti34
said by yeti34:

Alright, where in WVC is it at the moment? I am off 64th west and I have heard nothing about it out this way. Last I enquired about it to Utopia they said it was mainly off of Redwood. Is this still the case?
I was told by an Xmission employee that it was still east of Bangerter Hwy. I am still wondering if the rest of WVC has been pushed back to phase 3. Maybe Woodward at Xmission could give us an update

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34

said by Skidus2:

I was told by an Xmission employee that it was still east of Bangerter Hwy. I am still wondering if the rest of WVC has been pushed back to phase 3. Maybe Woodward at Xmission could give us an update
Yeah hopefully they will let us know.

woodward
XMission Internet
join:2000-12-28
Salt Lake City, UT

woodward to Skidus2

to Skidus2
said by Skidus2:

Phase 2 was delayed. You may still be waiting for that to begin. I'm personally a little behind on my maps, but I do know that there haven't been any new footprints released in several months; instead, they've been concentrating on expanding servicable addresses in existing footprints while the cash crunchers finish their doings.

We're in the middle of greatly improving our pre-qualification tools. Should be public shortly. And feel free to call our sales department to check for updates. Or drop in our support lounge at »chat.xmission.com and we can take a peek when we have a free minute.

Sorry I haven't been watching this thread. I'll start doing so

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34 to MSauk

to MSauk
Thanks for the info and please let us know of anything new if it is happening. I am so ready to ditch Comcast!!
OremRunner
join:2006-07-13
Orem, UT

OremRunner to MSauk

to MSauk
I live in central Orem and originally signed up with MStar, much like everyone else, my experience with MStar was sub-par. Speeds were decent, but reliability was poor. I switched to X-Mission just a few months ago and highly recommend them over MStar. I have a linksys wrt54g router as well and have had some minor problems with it losing connection.

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34 to MSauk

to MSauk
Well I am really ready to switch to FIOS for I have about had it with Comcast. I just had them out to swap modem for connection issues and they one they gave me was used and made my connection slower!! I have them comin right back out tomorrow and told them they better have a new modem in the truck to replace this one. I told the tech today I am only with them as long as it takes for Xmission to get me FIOS!!

dcshobby
Premium Member
join:2004-11-24
Rochester, MN

dcshobby to MSauk

Premium Member

to MSauk
Why don't you guys sign up through AT&T. AT&T offers connections on Utopia's network. As far as I've heard, there is no cap and no blocked ports or throttling going through AT&T as your isp.

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34

said by dcshobby:

Why don't you guys sign up through AT&T. AT&T offers connections on Utopia's network. As far as I've heard, there is no cap and no blocked ports or throttling going through AT&T as your isp.
Won't matter which ISP I use if I can't get connected by any of them at the moment. I don't even have the option to get it where I am at right now.

dcshobby
Premium Member
join:2004-11-24
Rochester, MN

dcshobby to MSauk

Premium Member

to MSauk
By the way, fiber through Utopia is not called FIOS. FIOS is fiber internet through Verizon only. What you want is just called fiber internet or fiber optic connection. Or say that you are getting UTOPIA fiber.

woodward
XMission Internet
join:2000-12-28
Salt Lake City, UT

woodward to yeti34

to yeti34
said by yeti34:

I told the tech today I am only with them as long as it takes for Xmission to get me FIOS!!
Your avatar says "Loc: Salt Lake City". If you are actually within the city limits, it may be a long wait. SLC backed out of the UTOPIA project under pressure (and disinformation) from Qwest/Comcast.

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
Salt Lake City, UT

1 edit

yeti34

said by woodward:

Your avatar says "Loc: Salt Lake City". If you are actually within the city limits, it may be a long wait. SLC backed out of the UTOPIA project under pressure (and disinformation) from Qwest/Comcast.
I am in WVC at about 64th west, so no I am not in Salt Lake City. I was told it is here in WVC but just not out my way yet. I can't imagine why Concast would want to decieve the city on the Utopia project. You think it may be because they are delivering a better service?

Yetoso
@viawest.net

Yetoso

Anon

Thanks for your posts people. This is extremely helpful.

I am in south west Orem and have MSTAR Metro's 15/15 plan. Their site's speed test says I'm at 6/6. In reality, I'm probably a lot lower. So I am getting a lot slower speeds than advertised.

Also, my torrents are pretty much down the flusher. I'd be better off on dial-up practically.

So I want to switch ISPs. From the sound of it XMission is a pleaser. Also, somebody mentioned AT&T had no cap or throttles.

Any advice for a torrent user?

do_9999
@csd.disa.mil

do_9999 to woodward

Anon

to woodward
when are they coming to Layton?