spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

System

shotgun modems

i have two seperate phonelines two seperate isp accounts now how do i set up my machine to run both of my modems i have a dell 1ghtz windows me any advice sure will help me out

TravisB
Premium,Mod
join:2000-02-22
Columbia, MO
Well, I haven't done this before so I'm not sure.. but I found this site for you:

»www.56k.com/reports/bonding.shtml
--
Let's Win The Race Against AnAndTech!

awolfpup
Premium
join:2001-01-18
Macon, GA
reply to Anon
In order to "shotgun" modems:

Must have 2 phone separate phone lines(ie: different phone numbers)...

Must have 2 modems...

A SINGLE ISP must support dual-modem same machine..most do not, since its a real pain in the arse for them to do so...
-------------
To get 2 modems to work in your PC are they internal/external?

either way you need to set them up on a com port...
if an internal modem; assign one modem to COM2 and the other to COM1(provided your not using a serial mouse on COM 1).

Modems can be setup on COM3 & COM4, but be careful...COM1&3 share the same IRQ, so if you have a device on COM1 do not use COM3 at all...same goes for COM4(COM2 & COM4 share a common IRQ)...
--
"The choices we make, dictate the lives we lead."

System
they are both internal modems i have 2 seperate phone lines and 2 seperate isp accounts any help??

awolfpup
Premium
join:2001-01-18
Macon, GA
One of those two ISP providers you have MUST be able to support dual-modem connections...not 2 separate ISP's...
--
"The choices we make, dictate the lives we lead."

mballard
Premium,ExMod 1999-03
join:1999-11-15
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Anon
It depends on the type of bonding you want, if you want additional bandwidth so you can download two things at full speed, or slightly faster browsing, or being to download and use the connection, Window's internal bonding feature should be able to do that. If you want it at the shotgun type level where you can get double the download on a single item, then you need an ISP that supports it.

System
reply to Anon
I'm trying to multilink two modems (shotgun) with an ISP that supports this. I've connected a USR internal win modem with a Zoom V.92 external. The result is a download speed of 10k! I guess they don't like to work together. I then tried two Zoom V.92 externals, but sorry you can't do that on one system. I then tried a new USR internal voice/fax modem (internal). It dials out fine, but the browser wouln't communicate with the ISP.

Has anyone out there been successful in multilinking two modems? If so, PLEASE tell me your secrets.

TravisB
Premium,Mod
join:2000-02-22
Columbia, MO
I suggest checking out (I think ZOOM makes them) the pre-linked modems. It's two modems in one, very easy to setup compared to actually using two modems at once.

Might want to try it!
--
Albert Einstein, "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

System
Thanks for the suggestion, but Zoom doesn't make it anymore. Bummer.

System
reply to Anon

This is how.

I used to do this for about 3 years. I paid only my 1 subscription of $20/month for 1 account. Don't know about the 2 ISP thing but I can connect 2 modems to the same ISP.

Ok, first of all....screw Shotgun. I could never get it to work. ISP must have it implemented specifically for Shotgun.

Must have Win98+ or DUN1.3 to do this.

You use Multi-link in DUN. Click on your dial-up icon and select Properties. Then click the Multi-link tab. Select "Use additional devices" and ADD your secondary modem, enter the number you want the other modem to dial. Click OK and your all set. I made a separate dial-up icon for my 2 modem connect.

NOTE:

My ISP has been bought out buy a couple others and has ended up at Earthlink. When the transfer to Earthlink was final, I received a bill for $88 for that month. The additional $68 was for simultaneous connection. They had charged me $1/hr for my additional connection. I called and bitched and after talking to a supervisor I got $20 knocked off of it. I could see paying $30 or so to have 2 connected every now and then, but $1hr is ridiculous. I could've had 4 separate accounts for what they charged me.

2 modems only help with download/upload. They actually hurt your ping by 10-30ms. 98,666kbps is MUCH better than 49,333!

So, only 1 modem for me.

GL

Rick