Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to melissatrv

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins Released Today

I don't understand this:

"If update rollup 873377, update rollup 889669, or an Internet Explorer hotfix that was released after security bulletin MS04-038 is not installed, and if you want to install the hotfixes that are included in update rollup 896727, you must follow the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 897225. Otherwise, all Internet Explorer hotfixes that you have installed will be removed."

I don't have those rollups but I am completely up to date on all security patches. So, if I install 896727 all IE hotfixes will be removed unless I follow the instructions in KB 897225? If I don't want this to happen I have to edit the registry before installing 896727?

Why is a cumulative update for IE suddenly so complex and difficult to do?
--
Around 2005 a sudden spark will catalyze a Crisis mood. The very survival of the nation will seem to be at stake.Sometime before 2025, America will pass through a great gate in history. The risk and promise will be very high. The Fourth Turning Wm. Straus

Trooper
Premium
join:2005-05-18
USA
reply to melissatrv
Updated with no probs at all here.

Windows XP Pro w/SP2

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to melissatrv
Seven updates for XPh SP2 installed successfully.

storm64007
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY
Updated smoothly here..it was sassy, sexy and fun

Razgriz
Pandora rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-31
Fayetteville, NC
reply to melissatrv
8 updates for Windows XP Home SP2 installed smoothly. No problems at all.

TeMerc6

join:2004-01-22
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to melissatrv
All went smothly for me here, 3 boxes.

For those who had troubels, this could be why:
By Ryan Naraine
August 9, 2005

Microsoft late Tuesday confirmed that its "critical" Internet Explorer patches had to be pulled after a hiccup caused some of the downloads to be corrupted.

The glitch was detected by users attempting to install the IE patch from the Microsoft Download center.

"Shortly after we released the updates this morning we found that several of the Internet Explorer updates provided only to the Download Center were corrupted, breaking the digital signature and preventing them from installing," a post on the official Internet Explorer Weblog said.

Full Read @ eWeek
»www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1846419,00.asp

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mele20
Hi Mele,
I think that kb article about the hotfixes is as clear as mud. (I've read similar notices before, but I don't recall it involving editing the registry. I've questioned it here in the past, but was just told to update.) I don't have either of those two hotfixes either. I don't want to install 896727 and have other hotfixes removed.
I hope someone that understands this can clear this up for us.
Sincerely, Libra

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds that KB article very confusing. I guess it is a good thing I am confused because I would have downloaded the cumlative update from the MS download center and evidently that is where the bad downloads were earlier and I might have gotten one of them.

Maybe someone will explain this to us.

The "just swallow your medicine and don't ask questions" attitude that appears to be what has happened when you asked about this in the past is not a very good attitude. Not all of us just blindly let auto updating do its thing or even go to WU and blindly download and install everything offered there. You do that you can get in a mess sometimes. So, I hope someone can explain this. Maybe there is a simple explanation that you and I are missing somehow. I would call MS but the techs they have now....poorly trained most of them.
--
Around 2005 a sudden spark will catalyze a Crisis mood. The very survival of the nation will seem to be at stake.Sometime before 2025, America will pass through a great gate in history. The risk and promise will be very high. The Fourth Turning Wm. Straus

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Hi Mele,
I'm wondering if those two hotfixes mentioned are only required in certain cases because I just checked my Windows 98 se computer, which I've had for 5 years, and I don't have those hotfixes either for IE. I can't imagine MS removing important hotfixes from computers if people didn't edit the registry - not everyone reads through the bulletins (I think everyone here does, but if someone has automatic updates running they wouldn't even know about this).
I was thinking of calling MS Updates too, but when I thought of my experience with them last year I changed my mind. (I did, however, have an MS Professional help me with an issue a hotfix didn't correct recently and she was great and fixed the problem ).
I agree it was good we didn't apply the update earlier. I'm going to wait and hope someone can figure this out for us.
Sincerely, Libra

stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to melissatrv
8 downloads.
8 upgrades.
reboot.
..next...
SP2Home..
10 minutes..
Ho, Hum...

bcool
Premium
join:2000-08-25
The Ozarks
Forgive the obvious....

but if I don't use or have enabled Remote Desktop on Windows XP SP1 does conventional wisdom suggest applying the related update anyhow for good measure?

Related update: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-041
Vulnerability in Remote Desktop Protocol Could Allow Denial of Service (899591)
--
"in flagrante delicto"

saboking

join:2003-06-24
Singapore
reply to melissatrv
Is this update for Window XP. I have Window 2000 OS and try to update and the website say there is noupdate for Window 2000.

Khaine

join:2003-03-03
Australia
reply to melissatrv
Thanks

Updated my notebook