uniqs

RClarkofNC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Charlotte, NC

RClarkofNC

Premium Member

File sharing program comparison table - Updated

I've updated the File Sharing Program Comparison Table with all of the information I've received so far. Thanks for all of your contributions. There are still several clients that aren't on the table or that have missing information, so if you have any info about them, please pass it on and I'll update the table.

This time I'm using an image link instead of an attached file. This way the image below will always show the most current information.

Enjoy!

RClarkofNC

RClarkofNC

Premium Member

I realized that I posted this at a REALLY bad time. When I was posting it, I had no idea what was going on in the world. What a week it has been.

Anyway, I thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone had any updates they would like added. I know there are other file sharing programs out there, but I don't use them, so I need help in completing the table. Anyone want to contribute?

sechs
Premium Member
join:2001-07-19
Wrong Coast

sechs

Premium Member

Re: File sharing program comparison table - Update

I use KazaA, because previous versions of Morpheus barfed on my computer. I recently tried the new release of Morpheus, and discovered that the program is virtually identical to KazaA.

While KazaA still has spyware (which you appear to be able to opt out of at install) both display ads and have identical interfaces.

RClarkofNC
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

RClarkofNC

Premium Member

sechs, can you verify that all of the columns for KaZaA should be filled in the same way they are for Morpheus?

sechs
Premium Member
join:2001-07-19
Wrong Coast

sechs

Premium Member

From my experience with both clients, I would say yes. However, I'm not sure whether the ad display software is "innocuous" or spyware for either program.

RClarkofNC
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

RClarkofNC

Premium Member

Re: File sharing program comparison table - Updated

I've updated the table with info on KaZaA and AudioGalaxy, thanks to Sechs and USR56K. Anyone else have any more updates? If so, please IM me.

steps closer to the cure for cancer!

hotlynx2
join:2001-01-25
Beaumont, TX

hotlynx2 to RClarkofNC

to RClarkofNC
AudioGalaxy "DOES" have spyware!!!!!!!,uninstalling Webhancer with out going through the proper steps can disable your browsers!Plus the latest version hasVX2/Transponder that is put on your computer with out your permission!

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

said by hotlynx2:
AudioGalaxy "DOES" have spyware
I've got the current version, .608W last I checked. I've also updated AdAware 5.62 with the current Sig...scanned my computer and didn't find anything. Where did you get your information that AudioGalaxy has spyware?

hotlynx2
Beaumont, TX

hotlynx2

Found it at »and.doxdesk.com/parasite ··· VX2.html and on my computer after installing 6.08

Chemcat
join:2001-05-22
Kennesaw, GA

Chemcat to USR56K

to USR56K
This is according to Ad Search from Lavasoft, makers of Ad Aware

JackSpratts
join:2001-07-05

JackSpratts to RClarkofNC

to RClarkofNC
more reviews, users inputs and links to over 60 p2p platforms here.

»www.zeropaid.com/php/top ··· prog.php

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K to Chemcat

to Chemcat
said by Chemcat:
This is according to Ad Search from Lavasoft, makers of Ad Aware
Hmmm...I just checked w/RefUpdate to make sure I have the current SIG. Ran AdAware 5.62 and it didnt find anything.

Just thought of something, maybe adaware did find something a long time ago but I've cleaned it out since....

hotlynx2
Beaumont, TX

hotlynx2 to RClarkofNC

to RClarkofNC
The adaware may not pickup the VX2 "Respond Miter" you can read about it here »and.doxdesk.com/parasite ··· VX2.html Thanks Jack for the link.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

I only found one instance of VX2Obj in my registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{2FC2F517-CC4E-4702-B1D3-D37C4CDEE630}. I did NOT find IEHelper.dll or vx2.dll on my computer.
Looking though my AdAware logs:

9/3/2001 - Deleting:Transponder,3,file,2,,C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\IEHelper.dll
10/18/2001 - Deleting:Transponder,1,HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,2,clsid\{00000000-5eb9-11d5-9d45-009027c14662}
10/18/2001 - Deleting:Transponder,1,HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,2,software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\expl orer\browser helper objects\{00000000-5eb9-11d5-9d45-009027c14662}
11/24/2001 - Deleting:Alexa,1,HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,2,software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}

So it appears that AdAware DOES find Transponder...but didn't catch the VX2Obj