spc
uniqs
nemesisdb
join:2005-09-04
Brentwood, TN

nemesisdb to JTS33

to JTS33

Re: New DI-524 Firmware Available

JTS33, in regards to WPA2-Auto, I'd love to know exactly what it does. Tier 2 D-Link tech support hasn't a clue. They don't know what JumpStart is either (or multi-cast, which is relatively easy). It's just another undocumented feature -- the type of which dlink has been adding to their firmware for years. It'd be nice for them to add a single line of text to the help file after going to all the trouble to implement WPA2, but oh well...

To update my previous post, after a couple of hours, even my static addresses got unstable (kept connecting and disconnecting). Power-cycling the router was a temp fix at best. For some odd-reason my W2k machine with a 3year old 802.11b card remained rock-solid throughout it all.

FYI: Tier 2 D-Link support thinks it's a software problem (cause the W2k machine works). This despite the fact that the 3.02 works fine on all machines. To wrap up a wonderful, hour-long conversation, the tech concluded with "I've always thought that MAC filtering was all the encyption that anyone needs." I was told I could call back during the day for tier-3, but that doesn't really fit my work schedule.

I flashed back to 3.02 within a day. Only half of my clients could support WPA2 anyway (unless there are some free W2k supplicants around?) which was the big new 3.20 feature.

Maybe they'll get it right on the next release.
JTS33
join:2003-05-03
USA

JTS33

said by nemesisdb:

JTS33, in regards to WPA2-Auto, I'd love to know exactly what it does. Tier 2 D-Link tech support hasn't a clue. They don't know what JumpStart is either (or multi-cast, which is relatively easy).
Here's info on Atheros' JumpStart feature:
»www.atheros.com/news/jum ··· ity.html

My understanding of WPA2-Auto is that it provides backwards compatibility with WPA. So if an accessing client does not support AES but does support TKIP, the router is able to fall back to using that cipher.
jackxia
join:2000-10-12
Oakland Gardens, NY

jackxia

but how compare to wpa??? i mean the jumpstart
JimF
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Allentown, PA

JimF to JTS33

Premium Member

to JTS33
said by JTS33:

My understanding of WPA2-Auto is that it provides backwards compatibility with WPA. So if an accessing client does not support AES but does support TKIP, the router is able to fall back to using that cipher.
Doesn't the DI-524 use a Broadcom chip? They may have a similar feature to the Atheros, but there could be compatibility problem here. I wonder what the chips in the client adapters are that are having the problem, and the chips that are not?
JTS33
join:2003-05-03
USA

1 edit

JTS33

said by JimF:

said by JTS33:

Doesn't the DI-524 use a Broadcom chip? They may have a similar feature to the Atheros, but there could be compatibility problem here. I wonder what the chips in the client adapters are that are having the problem, and the chips that are not?
DI-524
Rev. A = Marvell wireless chipset
Rev. C = Atheros wireless chipset

The Jumpstart feature is in the newest firmware of the Rev. C product. It's really just to make establishing a wireless connection + security easier for the newbie network user...not very useful for those who can get connected on their own.