spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bryant Smith

@freescale.com

WR850G firmware leaked

It appears that someone leaked version 6.14 of the new firmware for the Motorola WR850G router. Instructions on how to download the file are located at:

»italy.copybase.ch/xtra/WR850G-GP/

I have not yet tried the firmware, but there are screenshots at the link provided.

trevi55

join:2004-09-09

1 edit

I've made that page...

The firmware, as you can see, completely works.
Btw I don't that this post will be allowed. I've contated the moderator before, and he wasn't too happy.
So, if you want, share this link privately. But, please, don't break this forum's rules. I don't wanna be considered the responsible for breaking the forum's rules sharing this link in public.

--
Motorola WR850G 6.14 Firmware Powered!
Send me a private message to get it!

Bryant Smith

@freescale.com

The forum rules are a little vague as to what is allowed. It seems as long as there are no direct links to firmware it is OK. Posting links to third party firmware seems to be allowed. Although this isn't exactly third party firmware. I saw that you posted this link at alt.internet.wireless this morning. That newsgroup probably gets a lot more exposure that this forum.

trevi55

said by Bryant Smith :

I saw that you posted this link at alt.internet.wireless this morning. That newsgroup probably gets a lot more exposure that this forum.
Yes... In fact I don't wanna breack this rules .
For me it isn't a problem publishing the link, but I don't know how are exactly rules here, because skj doesn't agree about this link...

Who knows... We'll see what happens
--
Motorola WR850G 6.14 Firmware Powered!Send me a private message to get it!

bigmammal

join:2005-03-09
reply to Bryant Smith

If this firmware works, then people may start buying wr850g. That will do terrible damage to Motorola!

FlyingHorse

join:2005-05-25
Duluth, GA
reply to Bryant Smith

It seems to be working so far. At least I got past the 20 minute mark with eMule... for the first time!
--
Best regards,FlyingHorse

DomFel

join:2004-10-29
Orlando, FL
reply to Bryant Smith

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to Bryant Smith

After giving it some thought, and conferring with others, I will allow this thread to remain. It does not violate the rule of no direct links to firmware. With that in mind, anyone who decides to download it does so at their own risk. It purports to be the 6.14 firmware but I have no idea if it is. I also have no idea if it contains any viruses or worms. Again, download and use at your own risk.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

It appears to be real. I've had it installed for a few hours now, and it looks real. I agree though, use at your own risk.
--
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult." -Rita Rudner

trevi55

Absolutely... Like all the official updates, you should use it at your own risk!

As you can see the firmware works correctly, check the screen shot I made for more infos, or ask here!

Bye, and good night people!
--
Motorola WR850G 6.14 Firmware Powered!Send me a private message to get it!

godzilla525

join:2001-12-28
New Castle, PA
reply to Bryant Smith

Hmm... If I ever get more than a power light and low-level linkup on #1 I'll give it a try.

#2 requires a 30min warm-up period then crashes within minutes of finally starting up. It may stand a better chance if, by some miracle, it stays up long enough to upload the firmware.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to Bryant Smith

Anyone tried this on WA840G Access Point?
There were some posts a while back that indicated the beta worked on both the router and access points.

TexasFlood

join:2005-07-01
Aurora, CO

1 edit
reply to Bryant Smith

I searched P2P a while back and found this. At the time, my WR850Gs were stable running 5.13 as WDS extensions of my Sveasoft Alchemy v1.0 driven Linksys WRT54G. I did not have the time or inclination at the time to fix what didn't seem to be broken. Motorola support staff had told me that the official release of the new firmware was targeted for release late July or August so I decided to just wait it out since I had a stable network. I can verify that (in my case), that back then I was able to load this "leaked" version without issue and also was able to fall back to 5.13 without issue. I didn't post anything about it here since it seemed against the forum rules as I interpreted them. Anyway, I am still hopeful for an official release, but no longer holding my breath, . In the meantime, I have reloaded the "leaked" version on one of them to test and dink with if I have time. It works and I am associated with the WR850G running it as I type this message. I haven't really tested any new features, rather reconfigured it to function as it did under 5.13. Some of the features I am unfamiliar with, like the EDCA multimedia QOS stuff (and doubt I have a use for it as of now). If this was my front end router, the added features would likely be more important to me.

bjs39

join:2002-07-31
Chandler, AZ
reply to Bryant Smith

I tried out the new firmware and I bricked my router. I used the web interface to upgrade it from 5.13. The update page said "Update Failed". I tried a few times, but it wouldn't go. I reset it and it never came back up. I can no longer access the control panel and it acts only as a switch. I get a response when I ping it at 192.168.10.1, but no web interface. The power LED is constantly red and there is no Wireless LED.

Samora

join:2003-01-17
Schenectady, NY

I get the same thing. In my case, I was doing it from OpenWRT using the mtd command to try to go striaght to 6.1.4 .

Good thing this was my secondary router I was not using. No I am just waiting for CompUSA to have another sale, then I should be in WDS heaven. Unless I can find a way to unbrick the router. I my case, I can use it as a switch, but I cannot ping and IP. Although, I did not try the 192.... address. i may try that when I get home.

Yogi_12

@gov.nf.ca

I thought I bricked mine when it failed during flash........couldn't get into web configuration

I found this elsewhere

Assign a static ip to your adapter...must be same subnet as router

I used 192.168.10.10 with 255.255.255.0

In a dos window...make sure you can ping router (ping 192.168.10.1)

Then Use the following command on a Windows xp(2000) PC:

"tftp -i 192.168.10.1 PUT WRT850.trx" (exact filename with path ie. C:\temp\wrt850.trx)

This command needs to be executed from a command prompt, and run this command at exactly the same time as you apply power to the WRT to start it's boot cycle.

If the flashing is successful, the TFTP server should respond with a message similar to:

Transfer successful: 1537024 bytes in 6 seconds, 256170 bytes/s

and the WRT will be rebooted.

I tried 3 times before I got it........but it's fine now. I get into web config again.....seems to work fine (~5hrs).....shows ver 6.14

Hope this helps.....it did for me

WirelessGuy0
Premium
join:2004-04-24
reply to Samora

Before flashing any firmware, I would suggest making sure you are running a Motorola firmware (preferably 5.13 or 4.03) and then reset that firmware back to "Factory Defaults"... After that, do a powerdown (1 min at least) and then power the router back up, THEN you can try to upgrade to another version of the firmware...

I don't know where the posted firmware came from (appears to be an Italian web site), but from the screen shots posted it looks genuine...

bjs39

join:2002-07-31
Chandler, AZ
reply to Yogi_12

I tried this on mine and tftp said the transfer was successful but it was still dead. At what point do you do the tftp transfer? Do you do it right after a reset, power up or power up holding down reset? Also, do you connect to the LAN or WAN port when doing tftp?

DomFel

join:2004-10-29
Orlando, FL
reply to WirelessGuy0

said by WirelessGuy0:

Before flashing any firmware, I would suggest making sure you are running a Motorola firmware (preferably 5.13 or 4.03) and then reset that firmware back to "Factory Defaults"... After that, do a powerdown (1 min at least) and then power the router back up, THEN you can try to upgrade to another version of the firmware...
Totally agree with WirelessGuy. tfpting the new firmware is pretty stupid, since this one is totally different from 4.xx and 5.xx releases, and that procedure doesn't work anymore. I guess nobody can't blame Motorola for that!

said by WirelessGuy0:

I don't know where the posted firmware came from (appears to be an Italian web site), but from the screen shots posted it looks genuine...
Hey, don't look at me, I'm NOT running that website! And yes, that firmware is the real one.
--
My Blog

MotoUser

@207.xx.209.susc.susc
reply to WirelessGuy0

Can you compare your beta trx file with the leaked one and see if they are an exact match? Also is 6.14 the latest beta that is currently out there?

WirelessGuy0
Premium

1 edit

said by MotoUser :

Can you compare your beta trx file with the leaked one and see if they are an exact match? Also is 6.14 the latest beta that is currently out there?
I ran a CRC32 match between the file from the web site listed at the beginning of this thread and of the same version beta that I have and they match. And the answer to your second question is "Yes".

Yogi_12

@aliant.net

reply to bjs39

I did a considerable amount of resetting.....to no avail

I came across that thread on an open wrt forum........so I tried it.

1.I set my static ip
2. went to rum...cmd....then ping 192.168.10.1......and got good response
3. still in cmd dos window...typed TFTP -i 192.168.10.1 PUT c:\temp\wr850.trx (I renamed file earlier) Note din't execute yet
4. I removed power plug from router........30 sec later I put power to it and then I immediately pressed enter to execute flash. From what I understand...you have to hit it during initial boot up of router.
5. I had to do it 3 times before it took.
6. I exited dos window....opened browser....went into web config.
I had wan port plugged to dsl modem.......port1 to computer.

again......hope this helps

TexasFlood

join:2005-07-01
Aurora, CO
reply to Bryant Smith

Wow, I guess that I was very lucky not to brick my WR850G, after upgrading it twice. I haven't yet had to debrick a WR850G. I have brought back the WRT54G from the dead many times and am used to that. Guess YMMV with loading this firmware.

WirelessGuy0
Premium

said by TexasFlood:

Guess YMMV with loading this firmware.
If you load it through the GUI using the Motorola utility, you should have absolutely no problem... If you are TFTPing it or flashing from OpenWRT, you are doing so at your own risk... Flashing to the version 6 firmware from either 4.03 or 5.xx should work fine using the Motorola upgrade utility inside the firmware...

The safest way to upgrade your firmware is to follow the following:
1. Write down all of your settings (or take screen shots of them)
2. Reset the router back to the Factory Default settings
3. After resetting to factory default, restart the router
4. Once router fully restarts, power it down for a couple mins
5. Power it back up, let it fully restart, enter the GUI and upgrade to the new firmware.
6. Once the firmware is loaded successfully and router restarts fully, power down the router (1 min) and power back up.

Doing all of the above steps should fully assure a successful upgrade of firmware.

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to Bryant Smith

Well, I can see why Motorola hasn't released this - the design and configuration pages are horrendous. With that said, it seems to WORK well. But someone inside Motorola probably figures they shouldn't give it to the public without an artist going over the design, and they probably can't afford to do so.

WirelessGuy0
Premium

Astetically, this firmware is inferior to the previous version... But the functionality is much greater!!!

Remember, this is a firmware, not a program the average person would use everyday... I would rather it work well than just look pretty... We had "pretty" with 5.13 and you see where that got most people...

I think the public release version of this firmware will like identical to this... Every version of the 6.xx firmware I have had looked identical to this... Again, function over form...

bill1010

@ev1servers.net
reply to WirelessGuy0

WirelessGuy: Would you be so kind as to post CRC32/MD5/SHA1 sums for your official firmware version, just for reference? Thanks

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to Bryant Smith

No WirelessGuy, aesthetically and UI speaking this firmware isn't merely inferior - it's horrendous. I don't mind it; but it isn't acceptable firmware for everyday users by any means.

I really don't expect we'll see a new publicly released firmware, but thanks for the leak of this (not that I ever had a problem with 5.13 or anything)

WirelessGuy0
Premium
reply to bill1010

CRC32/md5 sum for the 6.14 beta: 148f5ec9029fc224891ce8233af22436

WirelessGuy0
Premium
reply to meowmeow

said by meowmeow:

thanks for the leak of this (not that I ever had a problem with 5.13 or anything)
I had absolutely nothing to do with the leak of this firmware... I have had the 6.xx beta's for many months already, and have never passed it on... This firmware was found on the P2P file sharing system and was posted to a web site by a user in Italy... I have no idea where it originated from and I don't know the user who posted it... However it does appear to be authentic...

said by meowmeow:

I really don't expect we'll see a new publicly released firmware
I think you will see a public release sooner than you expect... I was informed of a planned date a few weeks ago but was asked not to share it... It is in the not too distant future...