spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BlueSky7
join:2005-07-04
Swan River, MB

BlueSky7

[Canadian] Xplornet Ka has arrived

Well guys I finally got my Xplornet Ka system installed a couple of days ago..... first impression..... quite satisfied.

I opted for the basic $59 plan for now and speeds on up/down are very close to advertised. I may step up to the $99 plan and share wirelessly with my neighbor once i get settled in with the new system.

The only disappointment i am having right now is a real tough time getting bitorrent to work properly. It's not a huge deal, but i do like to grab the odd thing now and again so i hope i can figure out the problem. Usually its a firewall or router issue but i have eliminated those as problems.... i sure hope Xplornet isn't blocking torrents.
Mr_DNS
join:2005-09-07
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

said by BlueSky7:

got my Xplornet Ka system......tough time getting bitorrent to work properly.
Question - Is Xplornet coming off Anik F2 Bird?

If so, does your RG6 cable say 3000 Mhz Sweep Tested?

Are you running RG6 cable thru a Surge Protector?

Are you throttling down bitorrent? Maybe cycling it off/on every several hours?

BlueSky7
Swan River, MB

BlueSky7

From my understanding, Xplornet/Telesat is the Cdn complement to WildBlue and runs off the same bird.

The cabling is 2200mhz dual rg6.

It is running direct to the modem... not surge protected.

I have only let azureus run for maybe an hour or so total without restarting or making some sort of change... but haven't noticed any real progress in that time.... the seeds and peers seem quite low for the popular file i am testing on. Torrents seem to be the big problem.... i have been trying several clients and keep coming back to azureus since it does at least try to work. I can get seeds, just not a lot of them, and all are local (L) connections not any Remote (R) ones. I get NAT errors on every port i try (and i am not using any router and have turned off my firewall completely). My dialup was slow, but at least it could hammer along at a steady 5k for the most part.

Hopefully some fellow satellite internet folks have run into a similar problem and have figured out a solution.

Thanks.
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

said by BlueSky7:

cabling is 2200mhz dual rg6.
It is running direct to the modem... not surge protected.
Cable should be 3000 MHz Sweep Tested: WB has an authorized list.

Did they ground your dish, with terminal block on house? The Tx/Rx LNB has a screw for a ground...they should have grounded the system out.

Btw, you may want to visit this forumn too:

»www.wildblue.cc/wbforums ··· ndex.php

Your comment is nothing new, btw. But, your Cable needs attention, imho...

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

The Geezer to BlueSky7

Premium Member

to BlueSky7
I would immediately get in touch with your installer. You should have 3000 Mhz cable in your installation. They are supposed to use Dextra solid copper core 3000 Mhz cable. That may be one of the reasons that you are not quite at the level you should be. Also check the ground connection to make sure that they did it properly. That above all will make the difference. There are pretty good instructions on proper grounding procedures here on BBR (I don't have the URL handy, but you could use a search word to find it).

For Bitorrent, you will probably find an improvement with the $99 package. However, it really doesn't work really well with any Satellite connection - probably due to latency issues.

Good luck...

Geezer (former Swan River resident!)
BlueSky7
Swan River, MB

BlueSky7

No, there is no ground on the system.

If improper cabling was used, wouldn't it affect the general operation of the satellite connection itself, instead of just p2p? The system itself works fine, and to test i downloaded a 700mb file from mirc at 60KB/sec which is about the maximum speed for my level 1 plan.

The modem has cycled itself a couple of times today, but it could be attributed to growing pains with the system.

Is there a definite problem with 2200mhz cabling? I will contact my installer and maybe xplornet as well to see what is what.

Thanks.
georgeck
join:2005-08-24
State College, PA

georgeck

according to WB's specs, 2.2Ghz is acceptable... unless its a major typo
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

said by georgeck:

according to WB's specs, 2.2Ghz is acceptable... unless its a major typo
Typo..Error...who knows, but here is the correct info:
quote:
WildBlue Cable Specifications
To ensure the WildBlue service works properly in all conditions, the following cables are those that have been tested and approved by WildBlue. Only these cables should be used in WildBlue installations and any other cables used would not meet the WildBlue quality standards. Not meeting the WildBlue quality standards will result in payments not being issued for installations.

Approved WildBlue Cables

Approved Vextra RG6 Cable
V621 Single / 1000 ft on our custom 12" reel
V621B Single / 1000 ft in a convenient 17" box
V621GW Single RG6 with Ground / 1000 ft on a 14.5" reel
V2621 Dual RG6 / 1000 ft on an 18" reel
V2621GW Dual RG 6 with Ground wire

Approved Commscope RG6 Cable
5729 Single
5731 Single RG6 with Ground
0461 Dual RG6
0467 Dual RG 6 with Ground wire

Approved Belden RG6 Cable
1829AC Single / 1000 ft on our custom 12" reel
1839AC Single with Ground wire.
1841AC Dual RG6l
1840AC Dual RG 6 with Ground wire

Approved Eagle Aspen RG6 Cable
59B3 - Dual RG6

Approved Diamond Series by Vextra
V621BLKSP - Single RG6 / 1000 ft Black Spool
V621BLKBX - Single RG6 / 1000 ft Black Boxed
V2621BLKSP - Dual RG6 / 1000 ft Spool
V2621GWBSP - Dual RG6 w/ Ground

Approved Laser RG6
Model LSC741 - DVC RG6 Coaxial Cable 75C E233577 UL (C) UL CMX/CATVX/CLZX 75 Ohm 3000 Mhz 0118

Please ensure when purchasing cable for WildBlue installations that the cable is 100% solid copper center conductor. Copper clad cabling has proven to be problematic in the field with the WildBlue system. Even if the copper clad cabling appears to work, it will often lead to service failures in the future. Using only cables from the approved list, ensures successful installation and high performance with the WildBlue system.

Testing has indicated that TFC cables do not work and should not be used for the WildBlue system.

Cable Testing
WildBlue is currently testing the following cables:

Perfect Vision RG/6 75 Ohm 18 AWG 75C CATV/CL2 E232510 (UL) CM

Because testing has not been completed, this cable is not approved at this time.
Mr_DNS

Mr_DNS to BlueSky7

to BlueSky7
said by BlueSky7:

No, there is no ground on the system.
If improper cabling was used
Read this thread, completely:

»www.wildblue.cc/wbforums ··· 2&page=1

And look at this install manual:

»www.dsisystemsinc.com/do ··· ards.pdf

Disregard the 2200 MHz Cable...It's 3000 MHz Cable NOW.

Mr_DNS

Mr_DNS to BlueSky7

to BlueSky7
said by BlueSky7:

The modem has cycled itself a couple of times today, but it could be attributed to growing pains with the system.
Define "cycled"

Does this mean "crapped out." You had to power off, then power on (Reboot)?

Do you monitor your Public IP address?

You had a clear day...and both transmit/receive lights were blinking?

georgeck
State College, PA

1 edit

georgeck

Its currently reccomended for 3ghz cabling.. not sure where u are getting the MhZ from.

-frequency Grounding Blocks (DC to 2.2 GHz minimum
WildBlue installations require two lengths of High Speed, RG-6, 2.2GHz, 75Ohm, Non-Plenum COAX cable. One cable length is for the Transmit (TX) path and one is for the Receive (RX) path. All cables and connectors used in installations must meet or exceed the WildBlue COAX cable specifications. (see Graphic below)
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

quote:
Its currently reccomended for 3ghz cabling.. not sure where u are getting the MhZ from.
3000 MHz equals 3 GHz. Now, if you read the printing on the cable, they may say 3000 MHz, but you can ask them, cause me and those cable manufactures see eye-to-eye on this issue. It's 3000 MHz Sweep Tested...
quote:
-frequency Grounding Blocks (DC to 2.2 GHz minimum
WildBlue installations require two lengths of High Speed, RG-6, 2.2GHz, 75Ohm, Non-Plenum COAX cable.

Quit reading the manual...it's been updated...I mentioned this before, DISREGARD 2200 MHz (2.2 GHZ) expressions. I have cited what RG6 cable has been approved above...this came from Wildblue...understand?

Btw, your "750hm" above is suppose to be written as "75 ohm."
quote:
must meet or exceed the WildBlue COAX cable specifications. (see Graphic below)
Wildblue has updated their specs...do you understand?

What was the date given within manual? Things Change...

randyvsatus
Premium Member
join:2005-03-03
Monument, CO

randyvsatus to Mr_DNS

Premium Member

to Mr_DNS
said by Mr_DNS:

said by BlueSky7:

Define "cycled" ... Does this mean "crapped out."
LOL
BlueSky7
Swan River, MB

1 edit

BlueSky7

Here is the cable used on my install:

CommScope Dual RG6 Cable (5786)
* Dual Coaxial RG6 (2200 Mhz) Cable (5786)
* 75 Ohm nominal impedance RG6
* Qualifications: CL2 Satellite RG6
* For Non-Plenum Applications Swept-Tested to 2.2 GHz Series 6 (RG 6 Type)
* Highest quality coaxial cable available

edit: by cycled, i meant that twice yesterday the RX and TX went off completely, my connection went offline, and about a minute later the modem came online again.
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

said by BlueSky7:

CommScope Dual RG6 Cable (5786)
If it ain't on the list, it's not approved, period. Most RG6 cable is copper coated over iron wire. 3000_MHz RG6 cable is solid copper, as I understand.

Also, they do not want sharp bends in cable.
quote:
by cycled, i meant that twice yesterday the RX and TX went off completely
quote:
See this post:
»[WILDBLUE] IP Addresses Changing ?

When you login to DSLREPORTS, the next screen informs you of your IP address, and what address you last login was. Have you noticed any changes?

I have not experienced what you speak of (cycled)...even when it is raining (lightening), I still see modem flashing lights; just guessing, I would think your Modem was being reconfigured, and/or, a soft reset happened (reboot).

Since you are most likely not aware of your IP addresses, then there is no way to determine if they changed your IP addresses, which is what that post cited is about.

IMHO, call them up, and get that cable replaced, with a grounding rod installed and tied to house ground, if over 20' RG6 cable exists.

BlueSky7
Swan River, MB

BlueSky7

I did call in to Xplornet and was told that 2200mhz is the standard cable used.... but the person was not particularly knowledgable so i will wait and call in again later. Xplornet does not appear to have the same standards as WildBlue.... although this may change if/when problems start arising with cabling.

My cable run is about 75'...... they said they need to use a MINIMUM of 50' no matter what or else it can fry the modem.

I will watch my IP for changes as well.
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

quote:
was told that 2200mhz is the standard cable used
When WB first got going, they thought they had 'defective modems,' but this turned out to be (I understand) a cable issue (need 3000 MHz cable) and using a surge protector. Hence, defective modems are few, and field experiences todate have shown
(1) Cable, and
(2) RG6 cable hooked to Surge Protectors
to be the problem.

WB manual does not speak of using a surge protector;
quote:
Xplornet does not appear to have the same standards as WildBlue....

Same equipment will have same problems...its called "Scientific Reality."
quote:
My cable run is about 75'......

Grouding is to your best interest...

Btw, how does less than 50' cable "fry" the equipment? On the receive or transmit side? The Modem or the Transmitter?

georgeck
State College, PA

georgeck

yea my bad Mr. Dns, i apparently can't do simple math in my head lately Thanks for keeping me mathematically grounded !!
BlueSky7
Swan River, MB

BlueSky7 to Mr_DNS

to Mr_DNS
Yes i agree that if WB has already had problems with 2200mhz cabling then i can't see how Xplornet can be any different.

As for the cable run, the installers were very careful to spool out at least 50' minimum, saying they HAVE to run out at least that much or it would "fry the modem" to use their words. It was something that was stressed strongly in their certification course.

As i mentioned, i got a bit of a dimwit on the phone at xplornet today.... they really didn't know anything about 3ghz cable, and they "didn't think grounding was necessary".
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

1 edit

Mr_DNS

said by BlueSky7:

..... they "didn't think grounding was necessary"
Here, read this thread:
The matter of grounding?

»www.wildblue.cc/wbforums ··· hp?t=174

Mr_DNS

Mr_DNS to BlueSky7

to BlueSky7
said by BlueSky7:

i sure hope Xplornet isn't blocking torrents.
Any update, on this topic?

BlueSky7
Swan River, MB

BlueSky7

I haven't been able to come up with any solution yet for the problem.... all bittorrent ports come up with NAT errors, as does Emule.
Installer80
join:2003-08-05
Cobourg, ON

Installer80 to Mr_DNS

to Mr_DNS
The commscope that was used is for Direcway installations and satellite TV, should be 5773 Dual Commscope RG6. Thats what should be read on the cable.
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS to BlueSky7

to BlueSky7
said by BlueSky7:

...all bittorrent ports come up with NAT errors, as does Emule.
Excuse me, but were you a DW user?

If so, read this:

»Satellite Forum FAQ »[DW4000] Direcway Software Removal Update

and eradicate your machine of those "DW bugs"

BlueSky7
Swan River, MB

BlueSky7

nope, sadly i've been a loyal dialup user for several years...... no direcway for me prior to this. Would XP SP2 have anything at all to do with this? Maybe i will hook up another pc with a diff OS to experiment with.
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS to Installer80

to Installer80
said by Installer80:

The commscope that was used is for Direcway installations and satellite TV, should be 5773 Dual Commscope RG6.
WB has spec'ed what they think works. WB uses two RG6 cables, and I understand a 900 MHz freq on them (or at least one of them).
Many installers for NRTC are DTV installers, so if they used the traditional DTV cable, here is where the 'defective modem' issue started.
Footnote - I talked to a longtime BUD/DBS installer, and he suggested Echo indicated (1) no ground, or (2) bonded ground to house wiring. He has experienced 'bad equipment, when other installers use a ground block, but fail to hook it to house ground.
Mr_DNS

Mr_DNS to BlueSky7

to BlueSky7
said by BlueSky7:

XP SP2 have anything at all to do with this?
What type of router do you have?
Have you config'ed it?
What Firewall are you using?

Anything else?
BlueSky7
Swan River, MB

BlueSky7

I am running direct from the modem to my pc right now.... no switch or router to worry about. I have turned of Windows firewall, and was using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro. I have set the firewall to allow all.

Xplornet did respond to my question saying they recommend:

CommScope 5729 - single run cable
OR
CommScope 5773 - dual run cable.

They also recommend grounding the unit.
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

said by BlueSky7:

I am running direct from the modem to my pc right now....
Get sometype of firewall running.

In XP, find the firewall menu, and look at Exceptions tab, any checks there?

Mr_DNS

Mr_DNS to BlueSky7

to BlueSky7
said by BlueSky7:

CommScope 5729 - single run cable
OR
CommScope 5773 - dual run cable.
Both have solid copper wires, which is what WB wanted.
Both are sweep tested to 2200 Mhz.

I have not checked WB's specs, but being solid copper, I think, is what they wanted. Its those RG6 cables that have iron center with copper coated that was giving the problems.
Dish ground wiring should be bonded to house wiring...this is an old issue, but imho, it is best to bond (connect) both together, in some manner. Older homes can present a problem at doing this task.